Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any eReader with dictionary lookup feature?

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere in the forum.

I'm now using my iPhone to read novels and enews. I use eReader app more because it has builtin offline dictionary lookup feature which is very helpful for me, non English speaking guy.

I'm now deciding to buy a real ereader device. One major decision factor is the builtin dictionary lookup function. Any brand/model having this function?

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Sony PRS-600
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post

I'm now using my iPhone to read novels and enews. I use eReader app more because it has builtin offline dictionary lookup feature which is very helpful for me, non English speaking guy.

I'm now deciding to buy a real ereader device. One major decision factor is the builtin dictionary lookup function. Any brand/model having this function?

Thanks
As far as I know you have Cybook (with mobipocket dictionary - lots of different dictionaries can be bought and used - can only be used with mobipocket books), Sony 600 (with built-in dictionary - so far only English-English one, cannot be changed - can be used with all types of texts), Pocketbook 301 (I think it uses stardict format, not sure about usage) and Irex (I think it's same story as Cybook).

I have Cybook and it's usable but rather clumsy. Lookup feature is buried deep in the menu, you have to navigate to the word line by line with button clicks - not for the faint of heart
Sony's is used by double tapping (with finger or stylus) on the word. But you only have inbuilt dictionary - so far.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:

Thanks
In addition to the ereaders mentioned above, the Kindle series also features dictionary look up. I believe it is possible to change which dictionary is used.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Sony Reader PRS-600 is the only EDD that has a dictionary that works with ADE/ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The upcoming iRex DR800SG will have a built-in Merriam-Webster dictionary. On the DR1000S, dictionaries work in all supported formats. Since the DR800SG is similar, I assume this will work in eReader ebooks and ePub and PDF ebooks. The DR800S is also compatible with your EReader ebooks. However it will only be available in the US this year.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Thanks
Kindle 2 Kindle DX
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Pocketbook 301 + and Pocketbook 360 ° can install any number of custom dictionaries. With the program for conversion can be adapted dictionaries of various formats, such Lingvo for work on the device.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I had some pains using the dictionary on the Cybook, but I can recomment the PRS-600's dictionary.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
http://picasaweb.google.de/thomknip/...32263076361810
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Your cheapest option, if you aren't wedded to eReader format, is a jetBook. Ectaco, the manufacturer, makes translation software and electronic dictionaries. They read almost every format you can imagine, except eReader. It also doesn't do DRMed files. The dictionary is very good, though. In either 3 or 4 languages (I forget) out of the box.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Your cheapest option, if you aren't wedded to eReader format, is a jetBook. Ectaco, the manufacturer, makes translation software and electronic dictionaries. They read almost every format you can imagine, except eReader. It also doesn't do DRMed files. The dictionary is very good, though. In either 3 or 4 languages (I forget) out of the box.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
yes, jetBook comes preloaded with English-English, Eng<->Spanish,
German,Russian and Polish dictionaries. All dictionaries work for ebooks in all availavle formats(ePub,Mobi,TXT,PRC,RTF,FB2) except of PDF.
I like this feature and use jetBook dictionaries pretty often.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
asselberghs
asselberghs began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000
look up function iRex DR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The upcoming iRex DR800SG will have a built-in Merriam-Webster dictionary. On the DR1000S, dictionaries work in all supported formats. Since the DR800SG is similar, I assume this will work in eReader ebooks and ePub and PDF ebooks. The DR800S is also compatible with your EReader ebooks. However it will only be available in the US this year.
Hi Wallcraft,
I have an iRex 1000 and am not succeeding in getting the dictionary look-up function to work. I have tried by reformatting the sd card; putting the dictionary in the systemfile, and alternatively in the ebooks file and I always get a fault message wherupon the system closes down the book. I have downloaded the Larousse from Mobipocket - it is therefore a mobi file ...
I have read the user manual in 3 languages (they are not all the same by the way) -- in the English version it says you have to move the dictionaries to the system folder thru the Companion software (and not explorer) but that does not work either. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions ?
asselberghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asselberghs View Post
I have an iRex 1000 and am not succeeding in getting the dictionary look-up function to work.
I suggest starting with a public domain dictionary. See Problem with dictionaries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
asselberghs
asselberghs began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest starting with a public domain dictionary. See Problem with dictionaries.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a French dictionary ..
Any other suggestion ?
asselberghs is offline   Reply With Quote