Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm old enough to remember the first digital watches. They were made by Pulsar, who incidentally is still in business, and had bright red LED displays. In order to conserve battery life you had to push a button to light up the display. What a PITA that was, just to see what time it was was a two handed operation, and sometimes two hands just weren’t available, as my right hand was sometimes busy doing something else.

So here we go again, if we learn anything from history it’s that we don’t! There is no way an OLED screen can be always on and have that tiny battery last all day. So what’s the answer? Pebble has an always on B/W e-paper display and Qualcomm TOQ has an always on color Mirasol display. As I said before, the pebble is half the price of the Gear, and the TOQ is expected to come in at about the same price.

I believe I’ll be waiting for the dust to settle.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I won't get a smartwatch until they have a matching smartring. Before I exert the energy to look my watch, I want to know if the incoming is worth it. A ring could tell me if it's a text, email, voice, pic, etc. If it's something I want to see, I'll flip my wrist to look at it. Then I'll decide if it's important enough for me to really expend the energy to reach all the way into my pocket to retrieve my phone.

...technology is so exhausting
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm old enough to remember the first digital watches. They were made by Pulsar, who incidentally is still in business, and had bright red LED displays. In order to conserve battery life you had to push a button to light up the display. What a PITA that was, just to see what time it was was a two handed operation, and sometimes two hands just weren’t available, as my right hand was sometimes busy doing something else.

So here we go again, if we learn anything from history it’s that we don’t! There is no way an OLED screen can be always on and have that tiny battery last all day. So what’s the answer? Pebble has an always on B/W e-paper display and Qualcomm TOQ has an always on color Mirasol display. As I said before, the pebble is half the price of the Gear, and the TOQ is expected to come in at about the same price.

I believe I’ll be waiting for the dust to settle.
I remember those RED LED watches too. Never got one though. I also remember the first black LED watches. If you exposed them to sunlight the whole screen turned black. After they cooled off they returned to normal. Needless to say it was not a good watch for outdoors in the Texas sun!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I won't get a smartwatch until they have a matching smartring. Before I exert the energy to look my watch, I want to know if the incoming is worth it. A ring could tell me if it's a text, email, voice, pic, etc. If it's something I want to see, I'll flip my wrist to look at it. Then I'll decide if it's important enough for me to really expend the energy to reach all the way into my pocket to retrieve my phone.

...technology is so exhausting
LMAOROFL!! I want to be even lazier than that. How about eyeglasses that flash the caller ID on the lens via HUD!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
I had a watch like that, only it was a Star Wars watch (I doubt made by Pulsar). It was gray with a red LCD. I was just a kid back in the 70's and Star Wars had just come out.

The batteries (plural) lasted about three months, depending on how much I pressed the buttons.

Last edited by kevinp; 09-04-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
LMAOROFL!! I want to be even lazier than that. How about eyeglasses that flash the caller ID on the lens via HUD!
Well, I guess that would be OK, so long as I didn't have to move my eyeball or refocus.

pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Same here; only we have much different tastes in beauty
This is what I wear everyday.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
It saves you from having to reach all the way into your pocket to look at your phone. Life's short enough without wasting needless energy doing so
I would agree, but...
A $300 accessory to a $400(?) smartphone...

I'd say the price needs to be closer to $99, if not lower, or a purely standalone toy.

I'm getting flashes of the Beagle, here.
(All three versions.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm impressed.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I heart Mickey Mouse because he's the symbol of ever increasing copyright extensions
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had a watch like that, only it was a Star Wars watch (I doubt made by Pulsar). It was gray with a red LCD. I was just a kid back in the 70's and Star Wars had just come out.

The batteries (plural) lasted about three months, depending on how much I pressed the buttons.
Yup, the Pulsar was first and they cost an arm and a leg, and perhaps another arm too. They were like half the price of a Rolex. Then someone else (Casio?) came out with one in a black plastic case with a rubber strap for a reasonable price, but still not cheap.

Pretty soon the market was flooded with all kinds of cheap Mickey Mouse and Star Wars watches. Regardless, they still had the red battery hogging LEDs. About a year later someone made a black on grey LCD watch that was always on except, as someone said, they turned black in bright sunlight.

The point is that with an analog watch with real hands, you just had to glance at it and you knew what time it was. If you had to reach over with your other hand and push a button to turn it on you might as well just pull out a pocket watch. Same today, except the pocket watch is now a cell phone, and the smart watch needs to be always on to be very much more useful than that.`
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm old enough to remember the first digital watches. They were made by Pulsar, who incidentally is still in business, and had bright red LED displays. In order to conserve battery life you had to push a button to light up the display.
I remember those. I also remember the Saturday Night Live model:
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/31/ny...cs-117635.html

Quote:
...a watch commercial that appeared on an early ''Saturday Night Live,'' in which they demonstrated the simplicity of using a multifunction digital watch? ''Just push the top right button while holding in the button on the bottom left,'' the ad instructed. ''Then, while holding in the top right and bottom left buttons'' - a third hand appeared and the voice-over continued - ''just tap the upper left button twice.'' A fourth hand appeared. ''And tap the lower right button. Now, your watch is set.''
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
One problem with most of these complaints is the assumption that you'll carry your phone in your pocket. And which pocket? I carry mine in my shirt pocket as I'd break it if I carried it in my rear pocket & it's virtually impossible to get it out of my front pants pocket when I'm sitting down. Frankly I'd prefer to carry it buttoned in so it won't fall out but few shirt pockets have button flaps. So I can see a limited use for this (not at this price point) if you keep your phone buttoned into your shirt/coat pocket where it's safe. (Not sure that a coat pocket is all that safe, again it depends on which pocket. I had an early PDA in my coat side pocket when I hung my coat over the back of my rolling chair. The edges trailed on the ground-so when I rolled my chair back from my desk, crack-that was the end of that PDA, and the end of my carrying things in the side pocket of my coat.) When I wear suits I often carry my phone in my inside pocket-not the easiest place to get it out of just to find out I got a junk call.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate

I used to carry mine in my shirt pocket until it took a dive into the cat's water dish one day. Don't do that any more.

In Hawaii we hardly ever wear a jacket or coat, so it's my front trousers pocket. I almost aways wear dress slacks to work, so the pockets are fairly loose. On weekends it's cargo shorts so there are plenty pockets.

Last edited by wodin; 09-04-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
The more I think about this watch, the more I think it was just a knee-jerk reaction by Samsung to get something on the market once they heard Apple was coming out with one. The rushed it out without really giving any thought as to what would make it useful.

Not surprising from Samsung though. They may be a powerhouse of cutting edge technologies and manufacturing, but they have never been very good at executing original ideas.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote