Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Greatest thing since sliced bread - send books to your K3 wi-fi free!

Well, I think I had email books to my K2 set up, but it was so slow, and I didn't want to incur charges. Well, I got a K3 wi-fi, and fooled around a little bit (helps to type in your password correctly), and I email books directly to my kindle. Also, I can get lots of news, without paying Amazon subscription fees.

This is really cool.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I can hardly wait to get my K3.....
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I can hardly wait to get my K3.....
When is it supposed to come?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Wrong person, but I had to respond. I read your original post and decided to see if I could get the email to work for me. I currently have a DXG and it works great. Two K3s will arrive Monday 8/30 one for me and one for the wife. Being able to send books via wifi is going to be a major time saver.

Thanks for bringing the email thing to my attention.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Well, I think I had email books to my K2 set up, but it was so slow, and I didn't want to incur charges. Well, I got a K3 wi-fi, and fooled around a little bit (helps to type in your password correctly), and I email books directly to my kindle. Also, I can get lots of news, without paying Amazon subscription fees.

This is really cool.
One word of caution. When you send your books via Wi-fi from Calibre via your @free.kindle.com address, Amazon changes the file name to look very much like the filename that appears when you purchase/download wirelessly from Amazon. That is, there will be extra characters, the ASIN added as well as a new extension of .azw.

If you send your books to your Kindle using this method, your Calibre library will not recognize that those books have been synced with Calibre (the green check mark). One of the handiest features of Calibre is the ability to know what titles in the library are also on your Kindle. That will not be possible if books are sent via Wi-fi through your kindle address since the filename will be completley different. (i.e., no longer mybook.mobi)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:

This is really cool.
Hi Sydney's Mom - I always seem to be following behind you. First the cloud (Drop Box) for storing my library, then your question re: multiple libraries and now this.

For the record, can you provide me a little help on how to set this up. Someone else mentioned this on the KindleBoards, but not quite sure how to do the set-up. I have a K3 with 3G/WiFi.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Hi Sydney's Mom - I always seem to be following behind you. First the cloud (Drop Box) for storing my library, then your question re: multiple libraries and now this.

For the record, can you provide me a little help on how to set this up. Someone else mentioned this on the KindleBoards, but not quite sure how to do the set-up. I have a K3 with 3G/WiFi.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.
I would love to help you. I have my library in Drop Box. To send the books free to my K3, I just click on email to my email (not free.kindle but just @ kindle.com) and there it is. I send it through my gmail address. If you have any problems, just email, and I am more than happy to help you. Debra
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I would love to help you. I have my library in Drop Box. To send the books free to my K3, I just click on email to my email (not free.kindle but just @ kindle.com) and there it is. I send it through my gmail address. If you have any problems, just email, and I am more than happy to help you. Debra
I'm curious. I don't have a Kindle, but if you send it through gmail to your Kindle address.... doesn't Amazon charge for this?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't know. Ordered Aug 4th, but no shipping date yet and I live just 50 miles from Amazon. (Although the K3 doesn't seem to be shipping from Seattle).

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
One word of caution. When you send your books via Wi-fi from Calibre via your @free.kindle.com address, Amazon changes the file name to look very much like the filename that appears when you purchase/download wirelessly from Amazon. That is, there will be extra characters, the ASIN added as well as a new extension of .azw.

If you send your books to your Kindle using this method, your Calibre library will not recognize that those books have been synced with Calibre (the green check mark). One of the handiest features of Calibre is the ability to know what titles in the library are also on your Kindle. That will not be possible if books are sent via Wi-fi through your kindle address since the filename will be completley different. (i.e., no longer mybook.mobi)
After reading your post I hooked up my DXG to my laptop and took a look at a book I had sent via Calibre email. Calibre showed it as in main with the check mark. When I looked at it using windows explorer it was in the author named folder with a mobi file extension and file name exactly as I had set it up to be in Calibre. In short, it looked exactly as if Calibre had put it there over the USB.

I did send it via Kindle.com and 3G but I can't see any reason it should be different using Free.Kindle.com and wifi. But I must admit stranger things have happened. I will know for sure in a couple of days. One of the first things I'm going to try, with my K3, is to send a book "Free" over wifi.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious. I don't have a Kindle, but if you send it through gmail to your Kindle address.... doesn't Amazon charge for this?
They charge if you use the free 3G for anything but buying books at Amazon. Seriously, Amazon is charged by the MB, and they pass the charge on (don't know if they add on anything.) But I pay for the wi-fi, and so it costs nothing extra.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Warning - it goes through Amazon

When I sent a couple books to my kindle from Calibre yesterday, it worked great. But I could see the books in my pending list on my Manage My Kindle page. Doesn't really bother me, as I transferred How to Overthrow the US Government via ubs But I know some people are kind of paranoid about Amazon knowing what they are reading. Actually, that is one of the reasons I leave the wireless off. Oh well, if Amazon cares that I sent Cure and The End of Wall Street to my Kindle, we have bigger problems.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Thanks for this great post. I didn't realize I could use wireless to send documents free!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #15
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I just tested out both ways (free and not free). The trick I've used is that I've gone to my Amazon account and set the cost limit for files to $0.00 (saw it in another thread here). When I sent to the @kindle.com account Amazon warned me that the cost exceeded my $0.00 limit and that it was sending it to the free instead.

Anyway, the book went to the Kindle through Wifi and instead of putting it in author subfolder, it went strait to the documents folder on the Kindle. The file itself did have the azw-asin code and an .azw extention (the original was mobi).

Even though the file name was different, Calibre still recognized the book (through metadata probably) and showed the green checkmark for that book.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi email