Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #76
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
Hmm... that's a decidedly odd feature to have. Especially when it isn't switchable.
Oh yes! Hopefully Sony will publish a firmware update soon.

Quote:
So... the ePub-formatted files are using a separate rendering engine?
Yes. LRF, ePub, PDF and Txt/RTF are using different rendering engines on the Sony.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
You are welcome.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #77
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hmm... that's a decidedly odd feature to have. Especially when it isn't switchable.
It is, isn't it? It really, really, REALLY is.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I guess I'll go back to trying to get the fonts to work in the LRF files.
To be honest, font embedding with LRF is not all that wonderful. It's very very slow and doesn't work all that well. ePub works well and is very easy to embed fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #79
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, font embedding with LRF is not all that wonderful. It's very very slow and doesn't work all that well.
On the other hand, you can update the default fonts used for LRF rendering. That updates all books at a time, without having to actually modify any of them, and the rendering speed is excellent.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #80
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
To be honest, font embedding with LRF is not all that wonderful. It's very very slow and doesn't work all that well. ePub works well and is very easy to embed fonts.
I'd rather not embed the fonts, given what it'd do for file sizes.

I may be conflating work between LRF and ePub formatting, but I had the impression that a font could be referenced in an LRF the same way as in ePub (i.e. font file loaded on the reader once in a fonts folder and referenced through CSS overriding) using Calibre.

That was what I was originally trying to do before I tried the ePub route.

My issue with ePub is the lack of fully-justified paragraphs.

That's a deal-breaker in my book (so to speak)

-JPB

Last edited by Dahak; 06-25-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #81
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
On the other hand, you can update the default fonts used for LRF rendering. That updates all books at a time, without having to actually modify any of them, and the rendering speed is excellent.
That would probably be something to consider... I hadn't planned on doing a global change like that, though.

It may be an avenue of last resort, though.

-JPB
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, if you do change the default LRF fonts, you will need to remove every LRF eBook off of the reader and put them back on using either eBook Library or Calibre. And if you do choose to use eBook Library, you'll need to change the fonts in the fonts directory of eBook Library to the fonts you changed on the Reader so it'll know how to paginate.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I may be conflating work between LRF and ePub formatting, but I had the impression that a font could be referenced in an LRF the same way as in ePub (i.e. font file loaded on the reader once in a fonts folder and referenced through CSS overriding) using Calibre.

That was what I was originally trying to do before I tried the ePub route.

My issue with ePub is the lack of fully-justified paragraphs.

That's a deal-breaker in my book (so to speak)

-JPB
I do not know if you can reference external fonts in LRF. But embedded fonts in LRF tend to be slow (on a 505).

With ePub, you can use external fonts loaded on the Reader via the CSS and they work fine and are not slow at all.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #84
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
But, if you do change the default LRF fonts, you will need to remove every LRF eBook off of the reader and put them back on using either eBook Library or Calibre.
You can also delete the cache.xml/media.xml file by hand and let the Reader regenerate it.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #85
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
But, if you do change the default LRF fonts, you will need to remove every LRF eBook off of the reader and put them back on using either eBook Library or Calibre. And if you do choose to use eBook Library, you'll need to change the fonts in the fonts directory of eBook Library to the fonts you changed on the Reader so it'll know how to paginate.
Yep, I'd already picked up on that detail from my other browsing.

That's part of why I don't want to bother with changing the reader's global default font.

Thanks for the reminder. It never hurts to be sure someone knows all the sordid little details, especially a 505-newbie like me.

-JPB
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #86
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And why are you concerned about the file size, if I may ask? SD sticks are dirt cheap these days...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #87
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
And why are you concerned about the file size, if I may ask? SD sticks are dirt cheap these days...
Storing the same font on my reader 50 or 100 times offends every programmers' bone in my body.

-JPB
Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #88
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Storing the same font on my reader 50 or 100 times offends every programmers' bone in my body.

-JPB

With the price of hardware these days, maybe it is time to re-evaluate static linking. Ugly as hell, but bulletproof solution for packaging self-contained binaries.

Back to the size of flash on our readers, I immediately bought SD card to go with my 505. A few weeks later, the conclusion was that the number of books is bigger concern than their size. At least it is for me, with the current software.

Bookshelf/library implementation is decent, but lack of hierarchical (folder) structure makes it cumbersome to list, sort and search more than 50 or so books on the device. Now my SD card acts as backup device for the books that I already read, and stays away from the slot (faster start). Internal memory, even with "fat" ePubs holds sufficient amount of reading material to keep me busy for a long time.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #89
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
With the price of hardware these days, maybe it is time to re-evaluate static linking. Ugly as hell, but bulletproof solution for packaging self-contained binaries.

Back to the size of flash on our readers, I immediately bought SD card to go with my 505. A few weeks later, the conclusion was that the number of books is bigger concern than their size. At least it is for me, with the current software.
While I didn't start programming at the very start of the 'home computer era,' I did start moderately early.

I remember writing self-modifying code to save a few bytes that I could then allocate to needed working buffers within limited - and fixed - memory constraints.

The current attitude (which has been around for well over a decade) of 'memory is cheap' strikes me as slightly offensive and more specifically as lazy.

Yes. You can just go out and buy a bigger flash card, but that doesn't mean that you should.

-JPB
Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

-JPB
But if you use ePub, you can store the fonts once and just access them with every ePub you create.

Tags
epub, fonts