Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
tylermckellar
tylermckellar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Books I didn't buy on 2 new Kobo Wifi readers (not 100 free books)

Greetings!

Have an odd issue going on. My wife and I just upgraded from the first gen Kobo to the Kobo Wifi last night and today. All went well with setting them up and everything. We've had our old Kobos for over 2 years so we know what we're doing at this point.

After setting my wife's up last night I noticed something weird. After syncing with the desktop app, there is not only the 100 free ebooks that come included and the books we've already purchased but also books we haven't purchased. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and all three Girl With The Dragon Tattoo books are a few examples. These additional books won't open if I try to. My first thought was the Kobo had been returned after someone had loaded books on it.

However, while setting my new reader up this afternoon I purposely checked my reader BEFORE I synced it with the desktop app. All normal with just the 100 free ebooks showing up. So I synced it and of course it loaded all our previously purchased books. Surprise, surprise! There's all the extra books we didn't buy AGAIN!

Checking either Kobo on the computer reveals nothing extra. Kobo desktop can't see them and neither can Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions. The two Kobos weren't even synced on the same computer. Does anybody have any idea why Kobo would sync books we haven't purchased?
tylermckellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Are they in purchased or I'm Reading on the website? Odd books sometimes show up there when there has been a special offer.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
tylermckellar

Not that I've seen. I synced my old Kobo earlier this week and none of these showed up then. I did a reset on my old Kobo today and synced it after and same thing happened. It's close to 40 books that have appeared out of nowhere. A lot of them are either books by an author or series we've previously purchased and have found at least 2 doubles of books we did buy.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
I also have the same problem as Tylermckellar, I synched last night and the books that show when the home button is pressed jumped from the 11 I had on there already to 44 (including the 7 the synch put on there).

All of the books that I had not bought, but were put on my kobo wireless locked on the loading screen that displays the front cover of the book and I had to switch off and switch back on. Also it put another copy of at least 10 of the books I had already purchased on the ereader.

It took me 1 hour and half the battery (which was full) to remove the unwanted and unreadable book from the ereader.

This is not the first time it has happened, in fact it has happened every time I have synched it since the latest version of the desktop application was released.

As you can tell I am not happy as before this problem it was a good device. I would love to know how to prevent this from happening again (without reverting to an earlier desktop).
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
tylermckellar

Exactly. I do know my Kobo desktop updated on my computer this week. What were some of the books that showed up? It could be problems with specific books syncing that shouldn't. I think I might try syncing on Ubuntu today since my other syncs were on windows.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Are the books perhaps a preview?
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
shannont,

No they are not a preview, bacause my kobo does not load them even when I leave it to its own devices. But even if they are a preview, the desktop should not be putting books on my kobo that it thinks I may want, or for that matter duplicates of books I already have.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
skibunny88
skibunny88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Smile

I had this SAMEEEEE Issue!!!

I contacted Kobo support and this is the reply they finally gave me... worked like a charm!!!

Hi there

Thanks for your response.

Please perform a full un-install and re-install of the desktop app using the following steps:

WINDOWS

Close the Kobo desktop application and uninstall it.
Press Windows button + R, type regedit and press enter
In the Registry Editor window double click HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Double click on Software
Locate Folder Kobo, right click on it and select Delete
If prompted click "Yes"
Uninstall the Kobo app.
Press Windows button + E and browse to C:\Program files\ , find Kobo folder and delete it. (if you do not see Kobo folder, move to next step)
Then browse to C:\Program files (x86)\ , find the Kobo folder and delete it (If you do not see Program files (x86) folder or Kobo folder, move to next step)
Browse to C:\Users\<<USER NAME>>
Press and hold the ALT button and press T, while still holding the ALT button press O.
Click on the "View" tab at the top.
Click on "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and click OK.
You will now see folder called AppData, open it and double click on "Local".
Find folder "Kobo" and delete it. (If you do not see Kobo folder, move to next step.)
Reboot the computer
Reinstall Kobo desktop app from
http://www.kobo.com/desktop
Start the Kobo desktop application

MAC

Sign out of Kobo app and uninstall it
Open Finder
Press command + shift + G
Type ~/Library/Preferences press enter (Case sensitive)
Find all files that start with com.kobo and delete them (should be 2 files)
Press command + shift + G and type ~/Library/Application Support (Case sensitive)
Delete Kobo folder
Download latest version of Kobo app from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop
Install and open Kobo app and sing in.
NOW RESET THE DEVICE

The next step requires you to factory reset the device. To do this, please follow the steps below:

1. Turn on your eReader.
2. Press the Menu button.
3. Press the center of the Navigation pad.
4. Select Settings.
5. Press the center of the Navigation pad.
6. Select Advanced.
7. Press the center of the Navigation pad.
8. Select Reset Device Now.
9. Press the center of the Navigation pad.
10. Once the eReader is powered up again, set the date and time.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience of this again. If these steps did not resolve the issue you were experiencing, please let us know.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Let me know if this works for you guys!!!!
skibunny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
This is INSANE!

Editing the registry in Windows is DANGEROUS. Very dangerous. It should only be done boy people who have a clear understanding of what they are doing.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Murh; sigh... the FUD spread about registry editing is just that... FUD
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
skibunny88
skibunny88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This is INSANE!

Editing the registry in Windows is DANGEROUS. Very dangerous. It should only be done boy people who have a clear understanding of what they are doing.
It has point by point instructions are you arent touching anything but one kobo file.... its not rocket science!
skibunny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I know it's not rocket science. But I wouldn't want my Dad mucking around it the Registry.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
They are not previews, the are recommended books, featured books, and whatever else the Kobo Touch displays. They are not supposed to be on the device and I mentioned this in Beta group. It effects both the Kobo-1 and the Kobo-2, they just freeze the device in my case.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote