Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Location of books when adding

I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong when adding books to Calibre. I added a directory and they were copied to the Calibre directory with each book in a separate folder.

I wanted to add the books but not create duplicates in the calibre directory but despite reading the manual can't figure out how to do that.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I wanted to add the books but not create duplicates in the calibre directory but despite reading the manual can't figure out how to do that.
There is a sticky about this. The answer in brief is that you cannot do this - Calibre always makes copies of books as it adds it to its internal filestore. Inside the calibre filestore the files and folders always follow the calibre naming conventions.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is a sticky about this. The answer in brief is that you cannot do this - Calibre always makes copies of books as it adds it to its internal filestore. Inside the calibre filestore the files and folders always follow the calibre naming conventions.
Argh, that kinda sucks. I like keeping a directory structure of my ebooks by author and series but a directory for every book is kinda too much not to mention, it keeps the series separate.

Calibre is a great tool and looks to be a great manager.

Can the directory name for authors at least be renamed to lastname, first name? and put in subdirectories?

The list of authors gets rather too long if you can't
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No you cannot change the Calibre file structure in any way.

The assumption is that if you use Calibre to manage the books under Calibre control this will not be an issue as Calibre provides all sorts of display options. You are not expected to access the file system directly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote