Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
I'm Giving Away THE WALK [post #23]

It's one minute after the Big One. Marty Slack, a TV network executive, crawls out from under his Mercedes, parked outside what once was a downtown Los Angeles warehouse, the location for a new TV show. Downtown LA is in ruins. The sky is thick with black smoke. His cell phone is dead. The freeways are rubble. The airport is demolished. Buildings lay across streets like fallen trees. It will be days before help can arrive.

Marty has been expecting this day all his life. He's prepared. In his car are a pair of sturdy walking shoes and a backpack of food, water, and supplies. He knows there is only one thing he can do ... that he must do: get home to his wife Beth, go back to their gated community on the far edge of the San Fernando Valley.

All he has to do is walk. But he will quickly learn that it's not that easy. His dangerous, unpredictable journey home will take him through the different worlds of what was once Los Angeles. Wildfires rage out of control. Flood waters burst through collapsed dams. Natural gas explosions consume neighborhoods. Sinkholes swallow entire buildings. After-shocks rip apart the ground. Looters rampage through the streets.

There's no power. No running water. No order.

Marty Slack thinks he's prepared. He's wrong. Nothing can prepare him for this ordeal, a quest for his family and for his soul, a journey that will test the limits of his endurance and his humanity, a trek from the man he was to the man he can be ... if he can survive THE WALK

The Kindle bestseller....now $1.99 for a limited time (and on Smashwords in multiple formats).

THE WALK also includes free bonus excerpts from Lee Goldberg's widely acclaimed crime novel The Man with the Iron-On Badge and J.A. Konrath's best-selling, kick-ass thriller The List.

CRITICAL ACCLAIM FOR LEE GOLDBERG

"Can books be better than TV? You bet they can -- when Lee Goldberg's writing them. Get aboard now for a thrill ride," New York Times bestselling author Lee Child

"You'll finish this book breathless," New York Times Bestselling author Janet Evanovich

"Leaves you guessing right up until the heart-stopping ending," New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner

"Lee Goldberg can plot and write with the best of them," Mystery Scene Magazine

"When it comes to delivering a first-rate mystery, Lee Goldberg has the hands of a master surgeon," New York Times bestselling Author Rick Riordan

"Harrowing and funny..."
-Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine

"Lee Goldberg's hard-to-classify but not-be-missed THE WALK, set in the aftermath of a major Los Angeles earthquake, pokes fun at the TV industry in the midst of disaster..."
-Jon Breen, The Year In Mystery and Crime Fiction

"With books this good, who needs TV?" Chicago Sun Times

ABOUT THE AUTHOR - Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award nominee. His TV writing and/or producing credits include "Hunter," "SeaQuest," "Spenser For Hire," "Diagnosis Murder," "Martial Law" and "Monk." His books include "My Gun Has Bullets," "Man with the Iron-On Badge," "Successful Television Writing," and the "Diagnosis Murder" and "Monk" series of original mystery novels.

Last edited by LeeGoldberg; 08-03-2010 at 03:33 AM.
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Sounds interesting. . .But

Many of us simply don't have a Kindle. Any chance of getting this published on Smashwords so other formats can be downloaded? (Me? I like ePub!)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Many of us simply don't have a Kindle. Any chance of getting this published on Smashwords so other formats can be downloaded? (Me? I like ePub!)
Glen,

It is on Smashwords... and on B&N and the iBookstore. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

It will also soon be in a trade paperback edition. Used copies are already out there of the original, hardcover edition, which was published a few years back.

Lee
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, Lee. If you add the smashwords link to your first post it will make it easier for members who wish to purchase. We can immediately click to your book instead of just noticing it's Kindle only and then leaving your thread.

Since we are an international forum of many devices, smashwords allows purchases without additional charges, without geographic restriction, and in other formats besides just amazon kindle.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hi, Lee. If you add the smashwords link to your first post it will make it easier for members who wish to purchase. We can immediately click to your book instead of just noticing it's Kindle only and then leaving your thread.
I've just gone back and revised my post. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and here's the Smashwords link to The Walk
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks, Lee.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Just bought it off of Smashwords. Going away now to read. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
I hope you enjoy it, Glen!

Lee
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Gee, I hope THE WALK isn't the lousy book that prompted your thread about feeling bamboozled by a slick product description...

If it is, don't tell me.

Lee
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I was very excited by the idea of The Walk, Lee, and ordered it from Kobobooks. Unfortunately, the type is very faint on my Kobo to the point of my not being able to see it easily enough to read.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

J.,
I am sorry to hear that. I suspect the Smashwords "meatgrinder" has done some strange stuff to the formatting. I am in the process of having a professional re-format THE WALK for the different individual e-readers and will have a new version on line in a week or so.

Lee
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lee,

I'll look forward to the new edition!

I'd like to put in a plug for ragged-right margin. When I enlarged the type to try to make it visible, I ended up with very odd spacing, such as two words on a line, one of them left justified and the other right justified with a lot of space between.

The justification can be altered to suit with Calibre, but only if the book doesn't have DRM. Shoulda bought from Smashwords, I guess, instead of Kobobooks to get a non-DRMed version.

Jan
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru

UPDATE: I downloaded it through the Kobo desktop app and it looks just fine!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru

I finished The Walk and gave it a four-star review at Goodreads.

It's a fast-paced, profane, funny and heart-breaking walk through a post-Big-One Los Angeles. Thanks for the trip, Lee! Let's hope it remains a work of fiction for many years to come.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hijack:

How'd your cover experiment go with the walk? Any uptick by changing the fire?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote