Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

Just curious...I am going to join in for the first time this year and am quite excited about finally getting that book out of me and seeing if I can do anything with it

And for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about - November is National Novel Writing Month - www.nanowrimo.org
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm working on the uploading feature of Feedbooks for this reason too: it'll allow anyone who participate to easily create e-book versions of their text, and distribute them directly to the iPhone (through Stanza) or dedicated devices.

I wish I could participate myself, but I don't have enough time this year: I'll probably do it next year and write a SF short story ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I'm finally taking the plunge and doing it this year. Scary and exciting.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You guys are very brave heroes! I'm in awe.

Good luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good show, you two (khourianya and tsgreer)! I wish you all the best!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Ingrid
Ingrid doesn't litterIngrid doesn't litter

Device: iPhone. Opus. Kindle 3 incoming...
*waves*

Hello.

I'm doing it as well this year, but so far I've only written 189 words. Right now I'm busy telling the whole world about it in order to be embarrassed out of quitting.

What are tools are you guys using? Pen and pencil? MS Word? Open Office? And how's the novels coming along? I'm going to use Vim/Cream on the PC, TextGuru on the iPod + Google Docs for backups a few times a day. I'll write one txt file per day and patch them together in the end. That way I won't lose to much work if there's a computer malfunction. The final product should hit Stanza in mid-December. *grins*

I have to say, I would have thought there'd be more NaNoWriMo activity on this board.

-Ingrid
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I was thinking about, and did make a start on something today; but don't know if I will do any more or not, so haven't updated my NaNoWriMo profile or anything.

If I do, I'll be using Scrivener for the Mac.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
hadn't heard of this before, but am willing to give it a try. don't have the plot i've always wanted to write in mind - just coming up with something as i go.

Last edited by basschick; 11-03-2008 at 10:05 AM.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I really love to see this attitude and effort. There really are a lot of good writers here and I hope some more will give it a go. And let us know how you're doing. For me, I'm going to do what's consistent my abilities. I'm going to struggle mightly and write a few paragraphs now and then and post them here: Vera and Planet Head.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Vera and Planet Head is my favorite ongoing saga. (along with the ongoing saga of hugo and lefty, of course. and the ongoing saga of vera and harv.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
instead of trying to write one of the novels i've had in my head, i opted for something a bit simpler and more pop-fiction - a crossover detective/supernatural novel. only up to 1000 words so far, but it's going well. gonna try and get 1500 words out tomorrow.

how's it going for you all?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Vera and Planet Head is my favorite ongoing saga. (along with the ongoing saga of hugo and lefty, of course. and the ongoing saga of vera and harv.)
You all read a lot so it makes sense that you can all write, too, and probably pretty well. Even if it's not great literature, there's a lot of stuff that's been written and posted at MR that I've really enjoyed. Most of it is just a few lines, which is a lot easier to manage than 50,000 words. Here's a sampling:

Various "Vera" episodes by several members in the "E-reader devices, naming" thread in posts 92, 98, 111, 126, 133, 141, 144, 219, 224: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20697

There are several juicy bits in the "If you were an Author" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29746

Then there's our resident author Steve Jordan's "6 of One" story: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27045

Dr. Drib's "Dear Dr. Bad Advice": https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29068

LazyScott's tear in a "Friday" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30039

The Colonel Biggles thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27997

The "User Poetry" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22097

And many tidbits are in the "Scribblings" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23890

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. If you know of more, please point them out. Dale has kindly provided a space to compile these in the Wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Poems_at_MobileRead

Last edited by vivaldirules; 11-10-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As it so happened, I just started my novel this weekend. But I'm not going to try to meter my time to get it done in any specific time. I doubt I'll be done with it in a month.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
As it so happened, I just started my navel this weekend. But I'm not going to try to meter my time to get it done in any specific time. I doubt I'll be done with it in a month.
TMI!!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
TMI!!
Tea, meet keyboard. Yet again.

(And in VR's quote, I also read started as stared, just to make it more tea-spluttering)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote