Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I just wanted to quickly illustrate the difference in hopes of making it clear rather than arguing it, hoping the issue arose from confusion of what was being said rather than a "No, Robert Jordan is as artistic/etc. as James Joyce..." line of thinking. Someone either "gets" this sort of thing or they don't. But I really don't have it in me to get into - I got out of the English Lit. department for a reason!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Actually, scifi and fantasy are some of the biggest culprits. Check out that wiki article Igor linked to, it described the difference well. That being said... a lot of authors in those genre try very hard to not be, and sometimes they succeed. (And for the record, my favorite genre fiction IS scifi/fantasy.)

Again, I don't mean the term pejoratively and don't have any interest in getting into a "what is art," "what is literature," etc. argument. But there's a big difference between "The Kite Runner" and "Demian" versus Harry Potter or the latest Robert Jordan.
I was referring to the following from the wikipedia article about genre fiction:
Quote:
The term "genre fiction" is sometimes used as a pejorative antonym of literary fiction, which is presumed to have greater artistic merit and higher cultural value. In this view, by comparison with literary fiction, genre fiction is thought to be formulaic, commercial, sensational, melodramatic, and sentimental. By extension, the readers of genre fiction—the mass audience—are supposed to have less educated taste in literature than readers of literary fiction. Genre fiction is then, essentially, thought to be the literature that appeals to the mass market.

But from another point of view, literary fiction itself is simply another category or genre. That is, it can be thought of as having conventions of its own, such as use of an elevated, poetic, or idiosyncratic prose style; or defying readers' plot expectations; or making use of particular theoretical or philosophical ideas as well as having a niche audience, "generic" packaging and "superstar" authors. The publishing industry itself treats literary fiction as one category among others.

In addition, it can be argued that all novels, no matter how "literary", also fall within the bounds of one or more genres. Thus Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is a romance; Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment is a psychological thriller; and James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is a coming-of-age story. These novels would usually be stocked in the general or possibly the classics section of a bookstore. Indeed, many works now regarded as literary classics were originally written as genre novels.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
So last night I finished Stephen King's "Duma Key" and it was really great. That's not really what I expected, but it was. After reading "Bag of Bones" earlier in the year and finding it exceptional as well, I was willing to give King a second chance.
Here are whatshouldireadnext.com suggestions:

20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill See Amazon UK | US Brotherhood of War 01: The Lieutenants - W. E. B. Griffin See Amazon UK | US Songs for the Missing: A Novel - Stewart O'Nan See Amazon UK | US Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains - MD, Walt Larimore See Amazon UK | US Dr. Death: An Alex Delaware Novel - Jonathan Kellerman See Amazon UK | US Deep Time: How Humanity Communicates Across Millennia - Gregory Benford See Amazon UK | US Chasing Darkness: An Elvis Cole Novel - Robert Crais See Amazon UK | US Code Sixty-One: A Novel - Donald Harstad See Amazon UK | US Lightning Bug - Donald Harington See Amazon UK | US By the Sword: A Repairman Jack Novel - F. Paul Wilson See Amazon UK | US
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Walter De La Mare-believe me,"All Hallows","Out of the deep" and "ABO" are all things wroth more then just a litle notice.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I've enjoyed the horror novels of Jonathan Aycliffe.

(It's the same writer who publishes thrillers as Daniel Easterman.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert