Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Agree with Mel about wanting alerts for new books by a particular author. That's one thing I like about the Sony store.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #47
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingdotcom View Post

I'm curious how people feel about social networking/social interaction integration for online ebookstores and their apps?
No interest at all -- it's much more of an annoyance.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #48
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
No drm.

I wanted to buy a book, then realized i didn't had a proper install of digital edition en linux. That I would need to start windows, get book, start linux again to un-DRM . Screw that !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #49
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Update to this Thread...

I haven't been back on this thread in quite some time, but I wanted to take a moment to look in review everything that was posted.

After a VERY long slog, we have begun work on the production website for Ereading.com. We have, in fact, taken many of the suggestions on this thread into consideration and we are attempting to add as many as possible.

One thing I will add is that our app, PocketReader™, will be available for iOS and Android, but not Windows phones--at least, not initially. Does anyone here feel that is unfair to users? I ask because Windows doesn't seem to be particularly big on cellphones, at least not yet, and it is a huge expense for us.

Again, I wanted to thank EVERYONE for their suggestions. I truly believe Ereading.com® and PocketReader™ will be better products because of the input we received here.

I promise to be more active on any thread I am involved in from now on!
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #50
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
A bit late, but here's a tip from Courtney Milan on the advantage of using ISBN numbers in your URLs to books: http://www.courtneymilan.com/ramblin...ers-of-ebooks/
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #51
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
A bit late, but here's a tip from Courtney Milan on the advantage of using ISBN numbers in your URLs to books: http://www.courtneymilan.com/ramblin...ers-of-ebooks/
Not late at all.

Thank you! This is valuable information.

Richard
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-10-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #52
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

I see the ebook I want to buy,

It has no DRM,

I pay for it,

I download it right to my PC through the browser.
I've been doing that for the past 2 years. I find the ebook, add to cart, pay for it connecting to my bank account (other options possible). No ADE needed, they are watermarked. I can download it to PC as soon as it is paid for (almost instantly) and appears on my bookstore shelf. I get multiformat (epub, mobi, sometimes also pdf) for 1 price. It is automatically send to kindle from the bookstore right after purchase (in some bookstores it can be automatically uploaded to dropbox). I am forgetting what Alf is all about.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #53
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com

I think what cromag and Chi want is the ideal situation for all books. But publishers still aren't allowing it. Requiring DRM is both a huge burden on the booksellers, but also on the end-user who wants to use their purchased property as they wish (within permitted uses, of course).

One issue people seem to gloss over is that purchasing an ebook doesn't give a consumer the right to make as many copies as they like, no more than purchasing a print book gives them the right to photocopy that book as many times as they like.

One of the things that is critical to us is having full syncing ability between devices. With that in place, there should be no need for three separate copies of a digital text.

Then again, that said, I'd love to hear dissenting opinions as to why I'm wrong on this. There may very well be a reason (or reasons) for having multiple copies that I'm not properly considering.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #54
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
I think what cromag and Chi want is the ideal situation for all books
One remark, it is not what I want, it is REALITY for me. I described what I actually do while buying ebooks. Pretty much ideal, I agree.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #55
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
As far as the magazine issue is concerned, that's nothing compared to Amazon. I haven't bought any there but, if I understand their policy correctly, seven months after I buy a magazine, they will delete it. Automatically. For my convenience. Whether I want to re-read them, or not. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
You can highlight the magazine's title, and select "Keep issue", then it stays forever, as far as I know. I have some pretty old issues. Besides, you can always download them to your pc, and make a copy for backup. I do.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #56
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think what cromag and Chi want is the ideal situation for all books. But publishers still aren't allowing it. Requiring DRM is both a huge burden on the booksellers, but also on the end-user who wants to use their purchased property as they wish (within permitted uses, of course).

One issue people seem to gloss over is that purchasing an ebook doesn't give a consumer the right to make as many copies as they like, no more than purchasing a print book gives them the right to photocopy that book as many times as they like.

One of the things that is critical to us is having full syncing ability between devices. With that in place, there should be no need for three separate copies of a digital text.

Then again, that said, I'd love to hear dissenting opinions as to why I'm wrong on this. There may very well be a reason (or reasons) for having multiple copies that I'm not properly considering.
I'd make the comparison to music. I buy an MP3 and keep the "original" file on my external hard drive. I burn a CD for my car (the interior of a car is a terrible environment for CDs, so they go bad and I toss the old one and burn a new one as needed), and put copies on my Sansa Clip (kept in my bedroom) and on my Creative Zen (for walking and working outdoors). Since only I have access to the MP3, and since I can only listen to it on one device at a time, I don't think I'm breaking any laws -- or doing anything that the artist and/or vendor would object to.

I have a few ereaders. I keep one in the living room. The others I take with me on trips to the dentist, the doctor, anywhere I'm liable to wait for a while. I also take one of them on vacations. Two of them, including my favorite, don't have wi-fi, so it's unlikely a vendor would be able to provide a method to "sync" them.

If you're going to saddle ebooks with DRM, at least make it something I can ... *ahem* ... work around.

Last edited by cromag; 08-30-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #57
cromag

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can highlight the magazine's title, and select "Keep issue", then it stays forever, as far as I know. I have some pretty old issues. Besides, you can always download them to your pc, and make a copy for backup. I do.
I didn't know that. But, as long as Barnes & Noble has the two magazines I'm interested in, I'll stick with them.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #58
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I don't have to sign in to get the book I want, I am not asked when am I gonna do a review of the book I want, and I'm not asked to look at other books they chose for me based one the ones I've just bought... eww I don't like that at all. Oh, and if the book came out several years ago, I don't want it priced as if it just came out this month.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #59
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
I don't have to sign in to get the book I want, I am not asked when am I gonna do a review of the book I want, and I'm not asked to look at other books they chose for me based one the ones I've just bought... eww I don't like that at all. Oh, and if the book came out several years ago, I don't want it priced as if it just came out this month.
Unfortunately, this is kind of a mixed bag. Some people want those features, others don't. What do you think of the idea of creating an optional, easy-to-access "opt-in" section where those features can be turned on or off selectively?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #60
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The main feature I'd like that is missing from the big online bookshops is an easy way to filter out self-published books.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote