Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Error in the WiFi information on the 711 Page

In the interesting article Kindle 3 Keyboard Shortcuts et al on blog.diannegorman.net , it says under General :
Quote:
From Settings screen:
- Change 3G provider: type 311 (ALT+EQQ)
- Kindle Serial No et al: type 411 (ALT+RQQ)
- 3G Modem information: type 611 (ALT+YQQ)
- Wi-fi Modem information: type 711 (ALT+UQQ)
I tried this on my K3 WiFi and found out :
- as expected there's no 311 Page ;
- but there is a 611 Page, though it's empty ;
- the 711 Page contains an error; it says "Country: DE", but that should be "Country: NL" ;

Has anyone else discovered a similar error on his/her K3 ?

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 10-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
There is a 311 on my K3. It shows the list of all the telco providers in range.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"

@Pushka

What K3 do you have ?
The K3 3G ?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Yes, the K3, 3G for Australia. Maybe that is the difference.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAtDelphi View Post
In the interesting article Kindle 3 Keyboard Shortcuts et al on blog.diannegorman.net , it says under General :

I tried this on my K3 WiFi and found out :
- as expected there's no 311 Page ;
- but there is a 611 Page, though it's empty ;
- the 711 Page contains an error; it says "Country: DE", but that should be "Country: NL" ;

Has anyone else discovered a similar error on his/her K3 ?
Not sure why you're concerned about the fact that the 3G info page at 611 is there but empty. It is just how they designed and implemented that particular undocumented feature. It brings up that info page even if it is a WiFi only model. The firmware for a Kindle WiFi and a Kindle 3G+WiFi is actually the same. It just detects that it is a WiFi only model or a 3G+WiFi model.

As for the country, again it doesn't matter as you're in Europe and the WiFi channel allocations are the same everywhere in Europe. There is no difference at all in power or channel availability.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Not sure why you're concerned about the fact that the 3G info page at 611 is there but empty. It is just how they designed and implemented that particular undocumented feature. It brings up that info page even if it is a WiFi only model. The firmware for a Kindle WiFi and a Kindle 3G+WiFi is actually the same. It just detects that it is a WiFi only model or a 3G+WiFi model.

As for the country, again it doesn't matter as you're in Europe and the WiFi channel allocations are the same everywhere in Europe. There is no difference at all in power or channel availability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

not exactly true, because USA restricts channel 12-14, while most of the world doesn't....
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

not exactly true, because USA restricts channel 12-14, while most of the world doesn't....
If you reread my post I mentioned that it is Europe that it all the same and never mentioned anything about the rest of the world. AthenaAtDelphi is in the Netherlands which is in Europe and so is Germany. The channel allocations and power limits are the same across Europe.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"

Quote:

Not sure why you're concerned about the fact that the 3G info page at 611 is there but empty.
Well, not really concerned, just puzzeled by the fact that my K3 WiFi shows 1 of the 2 3G-pages .

You'd expect the K3 WiFi to show:
- or no 3G-page at all ;
- or 2 empty 3G-pages ;

Quote:

But why does it say specifically "Country: DE" ?
Why not something like "Country: EU" ?

(And for all the jokers out there, yes I know, Europe is not a country)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Well, not really concerned, just puzzeled by the fact that my K3 WiFi shows 1 of the 2 3G-pages .

You'd expect the K3 WiFi to show:
- or no 3G-page at all ;
- or 2 empty 3G-pages ;
No idea why it does show it. Its just how Amazon implemented it. Its not something they've documented at all and its a bit unpolished as its debugging/diagnostic information.

Quote:
But why does it say specifically "Country: DE" ?
Why not something like "Country: EU" ?

(And for all the jokers out there, yes I know, Europe is not a country)
It'd be ETSI instead of Europe as thats the name of the standards body that defined the rules for Europe. Anyway, as for why it has a specific country is because at one point there were differences depending on your country even in Europe but that changed long ago. France and Spain had a significantly more restricted channel allocation but they changed the rules to follow the rest of Europe. My Kindle comes up as GB but sometimes it says something like Unknown.

I'm unsure where inside the Kindle that it actually sets the WiFi region. The Atheros WiFi chip used by the Kindle 3 has all of these settings determined by the driver which is loaded. I've not looked that closely at the driver and related files to see what sets the region. It may be a fixed selection of regions or it may determine it based on your account. I've no idea.