Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Help w/ Weird Gray Smudge on K2 Screen

I've had this K2 for a little over 2 years and over the weekend, this odd gray smudge appeared. It has not been mishandled and this is the first trouble I've had.

One day over the weekend, it wouldn't start, no matter what I did. Even though I knew it wasn't low on battery, I plugged it into the charger. A minute later, it came on and suddenly had the smudge. I've restarted it and it will not go away.

It's kind of small, but still bothersome because it is right in line with text. Has anyone had this issue before?

Last edited by disney_mommy; 07-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
I've had this K2 for a little over 2 years and over the weekend, this odd gray smudge appeared. It has not been mishandled and this is the first trouble I've had.

One day over the weekend, it wouldn't start, no matter what I did. Even though I knew it wasn't low on battery, I plugged it into the charger. A minute later, it came on and suddenly had the smudge. I've restarted it and it will not go away.

It's kind of small, but still bothersome because it is right in line with text. Has anyone had this issue before?

I have one just like it on my K3, except the little diagonal line is going the other direction. I have never dropped my Kindle or mishandled it in anyway. The line just appeared when I awoke it from sleep the other day.

I haven't called CS yet and was hoping it would just disappear on its own.

Were you able to fix yours Disney_mommy, or at least find out the cause?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's odd as all get out. Has it diminished at all after page-refreshes and such?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
That is screen damage. It cannot be fixed. Call Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851) and see if they might offer you a replacement.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's odd as all get out. Has it diminished at all after page-refreshes and such?
Mine hasn't diminished at all when I turn the page. The line is always in the exact same place and often over a letter of text.

It's still readable, though annoying, which is why I haven't called customer service yet. Actually, I've also been just a little bit worried about a replacement after reading reports of an inferior batch of screens lately (although that seems like it may only be some of the K4s.)

I searched this forum for a similar problem, and I think there was just one other mention of "stuck pixels". Of course E-ink is different from LCD monitors, but it kind of seems like some of the little electronic ink balls have gotten stuck.

I'm still hoping Disney_mommy will post an update. I'd love to know if she(?) was able to fix it or if she had to get a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Did you dropped it or anything??
No, it's definitely never been dropped, and has only been handled with kid gloves.
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
What does it hurt to call support and find out what can be done?

Nothing!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Mine hasn't diminished at all when I turn the page. The line is always in the exact same place and often over a letter of text.

It's still readable, though annoying, which is why I haven't called customer service yet. Actually, I've also been just a little bit worried about a replacement after reading reports of an inferior batch of screens lately (although that seems like it may only be some of the K4s.)

I searched this forum for a similar problem, and I think there was just one other mention of "stuck pixels". Of course E-ink is different from LCD monitors, but it kind of seems like some of the little electronic ink balls have gotten stuck.

I'm still hoping Disney_mommy will post an update. I'd love to know if she(?) was able to fix it or if she had to get a replacement.

No, it's definitely never been dropped, and has only been handled with kid gloves.
I would take a chance and try a replacement. The K3 screens do not vary as much as the K4. You can always send it back for another one if you are not happy. It's will probably get worse as it looks to me like something is broke inside the screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I had the same sort of thing, they offered to replace it, with a new warranty, for $85.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I had the same sort of thing, they offered to replace it, with a new warranty, for $85.
Was yours out of the warranty period? Mine is only a couple months old.