Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #61
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
The 'id="cover"' trick has worked for me every time. (In fact, for books that don't have a cover at all, I drop the jpeg in there, and add a line like '<item href="cover.jpg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>' to the manifest of the opf.)

I'm not sure what you are doing differently that would cause it to not work. Two suggestions are refresh the list (use the drop-down in the upper right to change the sort order ... someone else claimed this worked for them), and, obviously, reboot your nook color.

The jpeg thumbnail issue with Calibre will likely be addressed soon.
Logan, thanks! I was at the end of my rope lol. I just pasted the line as you have it and changed the cover to match and that fixed it for Epubs. Any idea how to make them show up on PDF magazines?
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #62
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
It's just quirky to me that this happens and you have to do these conversions before the device will recognize the covers.
The problem is that the IDPF didn't think it important enough to specify a standard for cover images (although they will probably address this shortcoming in the next couple of years ). What is happening is that everyone comes up with their own heuristic for guessing the image. Calibre, Aldiko, Stanza, Nook, Nook Color ... they all determine the image using their own set of rules, but they don't generally share those rules so the next guy has to reinvent the wheel.

And, of course, the goal is to do as little work as possible (except Calibre which actually renders the first page of the book) because you generally have a battery-powered processor and Mobileread members that will try to put 3000 books on their device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Any idea how to make them show up on PDF magazines?
I do not yet have a method for PDFs, sorry.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #63
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Ok...well re. Calibre and sideloaded ePubs and images on cover flow...I have found several things.

1. When you let Calibre sideload a book it will place the book in the root directory as a directory of the Author and inside that directory is the ePub and an image file (jpg) for the cover (if you either downloaded one in Calibre or made your own).

2. The problem is IF that directory doesn't live in the 'My File/Books/" directory the Nook cannot resolve the image. It will find the book but you won't get the cover.

My workaround is to continue to use Calibre to convert/generate my ePubs and then close it. After doing that, I connect the Nook and manually copy that author directory over to the Nook in 'my files/books/' (I think that's the right tree structure...if not, you'll find it) and voila, your done. I always do a power off and restart after this but don't know if it's necessary for the Nook to rescan the SD Card.

Let me know if you know a way to specify the directory to place the docs in Calibre because maybe, just maybe I don't know how to use Calibre well enough.

Cheers mates.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #64
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
Let me know if you know a way to specify the directory to place the docs in Calibre because maybe, just maybe I don't know how to use Calibre well enough.
The setting you want is under Preferences, Sending books to devices. Change the save template string to include "My Files/Books/" at the beginning. I also personally add the series name and index so that series are in a subdirectory and things show up in order like so:

Code:
My Files/Books/{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} - {title} - {authors}
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #65
bilbothejust
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
The setting you want is under Preferences, Sending books to devices. Change the save template string to include "My Files/Books/" at the beginning. I also personally add the series name and index so that series are in a subdirectory and things show up in order like so:

[CODE]{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} - {title} - {authors}[/My Files/Books/CODE]
Awesome! Thank you for this. I actually was just looking at the 'Sending books to devices' but only saw : {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} in the field and thought it might just be a parsing string rather than where a you can specify directory! So, now I can find out if I was on a wrong track with the cover images.

Thank you so much!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #66
jmcging
jmcging doesn't litterjmcging doesn't litter

Device: Google Nexus 9
I've learned much with the material in this topic and have to say thanks to everyone. Seriously good information.
jmcging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #67
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I don't know if I am going to be explaining this so it makes sense, but I have found that the Nook Color doesn't seem to "like" the file structure of epub files generated by Caliber as much as it does those generated by Sigil.

For instance, when I reconverted epub-to-epub using Calibre alone (which puts all the epub text/files into one main folder as you can see when you explode the epub, and generates sometimes color.jpeg or color1.jpeg files, don't know why the difference), the NC still won't recognize the cover art on many occasions, even when adding the "cover=ID" line).

However, if I
1) first open the epub in Sigil (make any changes I want or not), and save the epub again, and

2) THEN go to Calibre and convert epub-to-epub (which puts the text/files into separate directory folders), and

3) make sure there is both a copy of cover.jpeg and cover.jpg in the same directory as the content.opf file AND in the Images directory folder that was generated, and

4) make sure both of these lines are in the manifest of the opf file (I know both is probably overkill, but, hey...it covers all the bases for me)

<item href="cover.jpeg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="cover.jpg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

Then, when the book is downloaded to the NC, it will recognize the cover art every single time, without even having to reboot my Nook.

The key is to open and then save the epub file in Sigil BEFORE reconverting it in Calibre and making sure the jpg/jpeg files are in their proper locations in the epub directories, adding the lines to the opf file and rebuilding the epub. Does that make any sense? Maybe Calibre ought to see about formatting their epub files using the same directory structure as Sigil does???

Last edited by leday; 12-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #68
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I contacted B&N this morning about this issue and this is their response:

"Thank you for your email regarding the NOOKcolor not recognize the cover
of sideloaded content.

We are aware of this problem and are working diligently to resolve it.
Please check back often as we hope to correct this situation shortly
with the update for NOOKcolor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have
caused."
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #69
bilbothejust
Enthusiast

I just love those computer generated replies. BTW, I haven't used Sigil but do use Calibre and have yet to have a case where the cover image doesn't show thanks to @Rayven01

So, who knows. There are settings in Calibre which cover to use...??? maybe that? oh well. And so it goes.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #70
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
I just love those computer generated replies. BTW, I haven't used Sigil but do use Calibre and have yet to have a case where the cover image doesn't show thanks to @Rayven01

So, who knows. There are settings in Calibre which cover to use...??? maybe that? oh well. And so it goes.
Wow...I hadn't noticed that post before for some reason (my bad). It DOES work! I added the "My Files/Books/" to the template pathway in Calibre's Preferences, convert epub-to-epub, and then send the book to the NC using Calibre and it recognizes the cover every time now! So, now I don't even have to go into the opf file and change anything.

THANKS to all!.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #71
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Logan, thanks! I was at the end of my rope lol. I just pasted the line as you have it and changed the cover to match and that fixed it for Epubs. Any idea how to make them show up on PDF magazines?
I'm searching but cannot find the original post, or I'm just noob and cant understand. can you please spell it out in steps? I have been working on this for over 8 hours on a Sunday?

Thanks for your help
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #72
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdzhlpr View Post
I'm searching but cannot find the original post, or I'm just noob and cant understand. can you please spell it out in steps? I have been working on this for over 8 hours on a Sunday?

Thanks for your help
This is the post being referenced:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=37
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #73
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
OMG! I think I found a very simple fix, I'm going to try on 8 more books and then post my findings here!

It looks like all I needed to do was save the jpeg as a jpg and make sure both were in the exploded epub main folder and in the image folder.

Woooohoooo and its in my main library thanks to this thread

it looks like you must do the first step open and close in Sigil. this will change the file structure. I did notice the first book I tried converted back to no cover then I changed the view and it is visible in the second view but not the original. jeeesh looks like I'm going to work to get this fixed. after I do a few it should get easier however I know next time I will have to start from scratch again so will not be sideloading books or just accept the issue till this is fixed.

I also just downloaded the NookColor update but it did not help.

Last edited by Gdzhlpr; 12-19-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #74
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Has the new firmware fixed any of this? Not having bookcovers show up would be a huge disappointment for me since that would be one of the advantages of the NC.

I usually manually add my own covers, would this help for sideloaded books? Or what if you check the box 'Use cover from source file'? Opening files in one program then another (sigil then calibre), converting to mobi then back to epub, that all sounds like a pain in the a$$. I don't have a NC so I can't see what works or doesn't (and it seems from reading this thread that some things work for some and for others not), but this could be a deal breaker for me. One of the reasons I got a NOOK is because I knew I could root it and see all of my covers, so I would expect the same from a NOOKcolor.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #75
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Has the new firmware fixed any of this? Not having bookcovers show up would be a huge disappointment for me since that would be one of the advantages of the NC.

I usually manually add my own covers, would this help for sideloaded books? Or what if you check the box 'Use cover from source file'? Opening files in one program then another (sigil then calibre), converting to mobi then back to epub, that all sounds like a pain in the a$$. I don't have a NC so I can't see what works or doesn't (and it seems from reading this thread that some things work for some and for others not), but this could be a deal breaker for me. One of the reasons I got a NOOK is because I knew I could root it and see all of my covers, so I would expect the same from a NOOKcolor.
The majority of your covers show up on the first try. For some reason, a few of them require a tweak using calibre to get them to show up. All of my covers show.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote