Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Two Questions

Greetings,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Daily Edition but have two questions. First, can you download excerpts or samples directly to the device from the Sony store? Second, given that I live near both a Sony Style store and a Best Buy that carries the reader, is there any advantage to buying from one rather than the other?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
I haven't seen any e-books that allow downloading samples. I have come across some that have short excerpts. And as for where you should get it - I think all else being equal, I would go wth the place that has the best return policy.

BTW, you can go see pretty much what you'll see on the reader by going to:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/

Find "The Drunkard's Walk", which has a little excerpt. Not all books have the exceprt feature though.
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You might ask the Sony store if they'll give you a $50 credit if you charge it to a new Sony credit card when you buy it. They will (at least did) on-line.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Daily Edition but have two questions. First, can you download excerpts or samples directly to the device from the Sony store? Second, given that I live near both a Sony Style store and a Best Buy that carries the reader, is there any advantage to buying from one rather than the other?

Luqman

I have not seen samples on the Sony Bookstore either...but what I do is read the samples or the "Look inside" on Amazon or other sites if available and then purchase the book at the cheapest place if prices vary. Amazon often has the best price so I'll purchase there and liberate it and read on my Sony, or on my Kindle vicey-vercey as necessary.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I think I remember seeing banners on the Sony ebook store saying something like "Advanced samples coming soon". But I don't see any of those banners now. Currently, the excerpts are rather short and are available online only--no downloads.

Sometimes I download the sample from B&N or Amazon if I'm on the fence about a particular book. Their samples are lengthy, sometimes several chapters.

I'd definitely recommend buying from Best Buy because they don't charge a restocking fee for returning the reader if you decide you don't like it. Plus you get 30 days.

Sony Style stores charge a 15% restocking fee and are only 14 days for returns, if I remember correctly. Yet if you order from Sony's online store there isn't a restocking fee. Makes no sense.

That's how things work at the stores in my area, you might double-check yours.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I just checked the Sony Reader store. There are a couple of excerpts and 2 new freebies. They are always, in the short time I've been checking, listed with Bargain Books.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/category/bargain-priced
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but Sony doesn't have downloadable samples like Amazon does. I have seen some excerpts there.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
If you are open to another brand, B&N offers samples for their books. Once you buy it, you end up at the point you stopped reading your sample.

Last edited by dieterpops; 02-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I always get samples from Amazon (Kindle for PC), but I "unswindle" them, and place on my Reader. If I like it, I return and purchase the book, and "unswindle" that. As far as buying the 900 from Best Buy or Sony, I would go through Sony. They have a 30 days policy with no restocking fee. I believe Best Buy is 14 days with no restocking fee.

Last edited by SCION; 02-20-2010 at 07:35 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
mikewrenn
mikewrenn began at the beginning.

Device: prs900
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

Luqman
Don't be a chump. Try one out if you like from Best Buy. But when you're serious, buy your PRS-900 from an etailer that a) won't charge sales tax and b) discounts the price usually (for Sony items) in the form of a % cashback credit. For instance, with a newly-approved Circuitcity.com credit card, you could have bought a PRS-900 (as of last week) for a final cost of $320 delivered. If anyone knows of a new retail PRS-900 for less, please let us know.
mikewrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrenn View Post
Don't be a chump. Try one out if you like from Best Buy. But when you're serious, buy your PRS-900 from an etailer that a) won't charge sales tax and b) discounts the price usually (for Sony items) in the form of a % cashback credit. For instance, with a newly-approved Circuitcity.com credit card, you could have bought a PRS-900 (as of last week) for a final cost of $320 delivered. If anyone knows of a new retail PRS-900 for less, please let us know.

Where?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...and b) discounts the price usually (for Sony items) in the form of a % cashback credit....
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Why would you be a 'chump' to buy from a reputable established place of business?

Would the "us" in your post be Circuit City?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
mikewrenn
mikewrenn began at the beginning.

Device: prs900
Sony discounts are hard to find. Go to bing.com. Search for "Sony Daily Edition". "Circuitcity.com" is in the list of etailers offering Cashback (currently 10% - was 15% on Presidents' Day). CompUSA or Tigerdirect (same ownership) offer similar deals. All ship free - no sales tax charged in any state I believe. Open a Bing account, and link through it to whichever store you wish to patronize. Mind all your "P's and Q's" and $40 should soon be deposited to your Bing Cashback account. The money will be available for withdrawal in 60 days. While you're at it, open a new Circuitcity (or other proprietary credit card) and receive an additional $20 discount for your trouble or pay with a "cashback" credit card for some extra perks.

Laughable, "desertgrandma." I'm not "circuitcity" in diguise. I have no vested interest in anyone's business. I just believe that consumers should shop smart. Hope these tips help someone save.
mikewrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
... As far as buying the 900 from Best Buy or Sony, I would go through Sony. They have a 30 days policy with no restocking fee. I believe Best Buy is 14 days with no restocking fee.
Are you sure about no fee at Sony? As of last year they had 15% restocking fee and only 14 days return policy. A week ago I bought one from Best Buy, they have 30 days and no fee.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote