Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #91
yasmeen
yasmeen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light
Update to my previous post.

I am still on my fourth Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. This one seems to be holding up better than my previous three. My eyeglasses actually fell on this latest Nook from about about 18" up, and I was sure there would be a hotspot, but there was none.

I've left my Glowlight at work a few times and ending up doing my nighttime reading from my old Simple Touch using a book light. Despite the hassles of returning the Glowlight every time a hotspot develops, I would never want to go back to a book light. A book light never bothered me before, but after months of using the Glowlight, I could never go back. I've had about 10 different book lights, ranging in price from a few dollars to about $35, and not come close to the Glowlight.

As far as the contrast issues, I put the light on low when I'm not in very bright light and the problem is resolved. This Nook that has held up seems to have a more significant contrast issue than the previous three that developed hotspots, whether this is subjective on my part or related to why its lasting is anyone's guess.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #92
LordoftheCrabPPL
LordoftheCrabPPL began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glow
Had my Nook ST Glow for 5 days as of this writing. First hotspot crack appeared the day after I opened it. At this point I had not even taken it out of the house and had only casually used it to see what the UI looks like. Second hotspot crack happened just now. I put the device down to nuke some lunch and when I came back 3 minutes later there was a new hotspot crack right smack in the middle of the screen! It cracked on it's own with no help from me. I am extremely disappointed in the crap quality of this device. I don't use the touchscreen part and have been reading the same book for 5 days now using the hard keys only. It appears that the manufacturing process of the screen assembly induces some unseen stresses that eventually (sooner or later) manifest as a small crack letting light pour out. I'm returning this device to BB as soon as I get a day off and will purchase a Kindle PW. In this modern day one should have limited tolerance for substandard products.
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #93
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Still no hotspots here (been on my glow ST for several months now). Maybe there's just a bunch of them with a manufacturing flaw.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #94
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I want to buy one, but I'm afraid.

As in scared.

As in having the willies.

Almost like dying in a plane crash.

Returning one would not be easy.

As in hard.

As in difficult.

Like being forced to read 'Finnegan Wake.'

Any suggestions?

Don
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #95
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I preordered a Glow, as in I've had it since launch.

No hotspots or other problems thus far. Not even a hint of one. I'd say I might be lucky, except that isn't borne out in other parts of my life
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to buy one, but I'm afraid.

As in scared.

As in having the willies.

Almost like dying in a plane crash.

Returning one would not be easy.

As in hard.

As in difficult.

Like being forced to read 'Finnegan Wake.'

Any suggestions?

Don
Absolutely none. The Nook Glows are notorious for developing hotspots because of their fragile outer screen. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, but they've become notorious because many seem to arrive equipped with an unacceptable level of blotchiness on the screen. Many of our members have returned theirs.

You pays your money; you takes your chances. Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. The front-lit screens are great for reading, but don't expect perfection from whatever you buy; at least not from this current generation.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #97
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Kobo Glo seems to not have the teething problems with their hardware. Could be an option for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #98
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post

No hotspots or other problems thus far. Not even a hint of one. I'd say I might be lucky, except that isn't borne out in other parts of my life
Same with mine, but had it only for 2 months so far.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #99
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Still no hotspots here (been on my glow ST for several months now). Maybe there's just a bunch of them with a manufacturing flaw.
Me too. I've had mine for months and use it all the time. I always keep it in a cover though. Maybe that makes a difference?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #100
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
My daughter and I both have one and so far, no screen issues. Just for context, my daughter is 11 and her Glowlight is going back and forth to school every day in her book bag, mine goes to work every day in my purse, so they are well-traveled and well-used units. Don't be afraid! Just jump right in
Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #101
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I just got a glow for Christmas, and I love it so far. I wish I would have gotten one sooner. I don't really notice any difference in contrast, although I never compared the ST and glow side by side either. I registered it to my B&N account, plugged in my SD card from my old ST and started reading.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #102
ladyashk
Enthusiast
ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (2009, Nook Simple Touch (2012), KPW2 (2013), KPW4 (2021)
After reading all these messages I went with a Nook Simple Touch, that being my second e-reader.
My first one - Sony PRS-600 - has served wonderfully till date. It has never failed me (**touch wood**) and is still running strong. It has survived severla throws by my 3 year old, falling in the bathroom while I try to read in my bath and many more. The only reason I decided to go for a new one was because I happened to come across the Kindle Touch and was amazed by its display quality and clarity.
After doing a great deal of research on ebook readers I finally decided on the Nook ST. Until the reader companies figure out how to make a durable screen, whose light can be turned off.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #103
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyashk View Post
After doing a great deal of research on ebook readers I finally decided on the Nook ST. Until the reader companies figure out how to make a durable screen, whose light can be turned off.
Can't go wrong with a Nook ST. It tougher than the Kindle, for sure. I also like the fact that I could add extra memory which makes side loading and unloading smoother. The only time I really wanted the Paperwhite was when I was in bed for a couple of days due to back strain. I listened to audiobooks instead.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #104
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:

Well, my Glow finally developed a hotspot. However, it was caused by my toddler throwing it across the room without a case in a tantrum. Can't really fault BN for that, and honestly, I'm surprised it held up as well as it did. I mean, one tiny pin-hole only after being molested by an angry child?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #105
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
... by an angry child?
Wouldn't that be an angry bird?
Closed Thread