Notices

Old 11-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Gen3 Not display Author and Title in Mobi format

Hi Folks

My ebooks like fine within the latest 6.1 Mobipocket Reader. E.G. Title and Author are correct. However when I upload them to the GEN3 it's displaying Author and Title fields from elsewhere in the file.By this I mean it looks incorrect from the GEN3 main menu where you select your book.

Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young View Post
Hi Folks

My ebooks like fine within the latest 6.1 Mobipocket Reader. E.G. Title and Author are correct. However when I upload them to the GEN3 it's displaying Author and Title fields from elsewhere in the file.By this I mean it looks incorrect from the GEN3 main menu where you select your book.

Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks

Nope. That's got to come from Bookeen, I think.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is a post on MobiPocket's Forum: TIP - Make own index of ebooks which explains how to extract the title from the file. Alternatively, if you open the (mobi) file with an editor the title and author is usually visible as plain text. Note that there is also a "Database name" which is at the very start of the file.

On the iLiad, mobi (BOOKMOBI) files are treated differently to AportisDoc (TEXtREAd) files, probably because the latter don't have an easily extractable author and title. Note that a BOOKMOBI file can have the extension .prc, but I have not seen a TEXtREAd file with a .mobi extension.

This won't solve your problem, but may narrow it down to a subset of .prc and/or .mobi files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a post on MobiPocket's Forum: TIP - Make own index of ebooks which explains how to extract the title from the file. Alternatively, if you open the (mobi) file with an editor the title and author is usually visible as plain text. Note that there is also a "Database name" which is at the very start of the file.

On the iLiad, mobi (BOOKMOBI) files are treated differently to AportisDoc (TEXtREAd) files, probably because the latter don't have an easily extractable author and title. Note that a BOOKMOBI file can have the extension .prc, but I have not seen a TEXtREAd file with a .mobi extension.

This won't solve your problem, but may narrow it down to a subset of .prc and/or .mobi files.
Now that Aportis is long sync defunct these files are generally called PalmDoc files and that is what Bookeen calls them. They could have a .prc extension but more often have a .pdb extension. (Look up PDB in the wiki for more information)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
This is very annoying. I just bought the whole Dark Tower series from Stephen King and some are with "The Dark Tower" in the title and some without. This results in the books not being organized in order on the Cybook.

I tried to change the titles in Mobipocket reader but as soon as they are on the Cybook they show as the original title. Also I tried to change the name in the file itself, but then it doesn't want to import the file anymore in MobiPocket reader.

Does anyone know how I can change the title so it will show my changes also on the Cybook?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I just posted about mobi2mobi here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718

and that Perl program can change the title but I am not sure if it works on DRM:ed files since I do not have any to test with. If the title data is the last data in the header than it probably will work.

You can edit the file in an editor to change the title if you also change the 4 bytes that specifies the length of the title.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Changing metadata shouldn't affect DRM as long as you keep all offsets updated (offset to DRM records is at 0x98 in MOBI header).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I just posted about mobi2mobi here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718

and that Perl program can change the title but I am not sure if it works on DRM:ed files since I do not have any to test with. If the title data is the last data in the header than it probably will work.

You can edit the file in an editor to change the title if you also change the 4 bytes that specifies the length of the title.
If ONLY someone would re-create this as a WinXP standalone executable!!! (Not that I have anything against PERL, just that it hates ME!!!)
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Changing metadata shouldn't affect DRM as long as you keep all offsets updated (offset to DRM records is at 0x98 in MOBI header).
Then I do it wrongly now. i realized I had a dictionary to test on. Is the offset from the start of the MOBI header or from the start of the PalmDoc header? And where is the length of the drm records stored? Or are the DRM things always last in the data so i do not need a lenght?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Then I do it wrongly now. i realized I had a dictionary to test on. Is the offset from the start of the MOBI header or from the start of the PalmDoc header? And where is the length of the drm records stored? Or are the DRM things always last in the data so i do not need a lenght?
From the start of the MOBI header. It's placed after EXTH but possibly before the long title so you should be okay if you just keep everything after EXTH headers intact and just adjust the drm and long title offsets.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
From the start of the MOBI header. It's placed after EXTH but possibly before the long title so you should be okay if you just keep everything after EXTH headers intact and just adjust the drm and long title offsets.
It was placed after the long title in my dictionary. I have updated the code and it worked with changing the long title for the dictionary. Thanks for the information.