Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
New Neal Stephenson

I dunno if this is "News" worthy, maybe it is because it's usually a few years between 'em, but the new Neal Stephenson book is up for pre-order. 1054 pages

Reamde

(not a typo)

Edit: Rats. I misspelled his name in the thread title.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-29-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: fixed title type
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"This item is expected at our warehouse on 06 November 2011."

Remind me about it a week before that .
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
September 20 release date according to Amazon. $16.99 for ebook, $21 hardcover
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
September 20 release date according to Amazon. $16.99 for ebook, $21 hardcover
18,01 € at Amazon.de - same release date.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The cover suggests that the title is an anagram of "Read Me".
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Either that or he meant to spell reamed, for the folks who pay hardcover prices, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I've got an unread hardcover of Anathem laying around somewhere, I suppose it's a relic of me paying for future work of the author by compensating for present goods, although I can't imagine how much of that money shelled out for Anathem actually went to Stephenson.

At any rate, I look forward to downloading Readme and then deciding if I wish to continue monetarily compensating the author after I read the book.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Either that or he meant to spell reamed, for the folks who pay hardcover prices, lol.
I lol'ed

Last edited by newlaza; 06-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
newlaza
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The cover suggests that the title is an anagram of "Read Me".
There's a wee little document-esque icon there too. And his last name is hyphenated a bunch. I'm intrigued.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
At any rate, I look forward to downloading Readme and then deciding if I wish to continue monetarily compensating the author after I read the book.
I've heard of this. I think I've heard it called it "Dine 'n' Dash," or "Gas 'n' Go" in some circles.

Anywho... I'll be reading Reamde the day it's released. His past body of work makes paying for this one up front, seem like a very, very slim risk.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've heard of this. I think I've heard it called it "Dine 'n' Dash," or "Gas 'n' Go" in some circles.

Anywho... I'll be reading Reamde the day it's released. His past body of work makes paying for this one up front, seem like a very, very slim risk.
What's the difference? pay now or pay later, sooner or later everyone will pay.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Love this author - always good to know when another of his books is coming out.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Same with the new Vernor Vinge ('Children of the Sky').
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Novels with with titles based on references to digital/internet culture are generally written by out of touch authors trying to be edgy, not realizing that they look like someone's grandpa trying to break dance.... Stephenson has chops, though. We'll see.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
newlaza
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Novels with with titles based on references to digital/internet culture are generally written by out of touch authors trying to be edgy, not realizing that they look like someone's grandpa trying to break dance.... Stephenson has chops, though. We'll see.
I'm not worried. He's a techie, writes for Wired and other publications. Anything he does he generally hits the nail on the head, even esoteric stuff a la Cryptonomicon.