Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-25-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Library Management: various questions not worth their own thread

Hopefully this'll cut down on people posting small questions in the template question thread

Question: Why do author-type columns use a different separator (ampersand '&' instead of comma ',')?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
commas are used for sort names. Like Cats, Owned by
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2023, 10:27 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot about the sort. That makes sense!
Old 07-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Also commas appear in names with degrees or tities, such as Joe Bloggs, PhD. Some people put them in names with suffixes such as Jr, Second, etc., as in Joe Bloggs, II.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Also commas appear in names with degrees or tities, such as Joe Bloggs, PhD. Some people put them in names with suffixes such as Jr, Second, etc., as in Joe Bloggs, II.
They do, though it looks weird to me.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Question: Is the lookup name for the 'Date' column date or timestamp?

I see 'date' in the column header tooltip, and 'timestamp' in Preferences > Add Your Own Column.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:02 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

I see 'date' in the column header tooltip, and 'timestamp' in Preferences > Add Your Own Column.
good catch, I just confirmed that the header tooltip is 'date', and that 'timestamp:2023' isn't recognised as a valid search...

some plugins use 'timestamp' to refer to the date column, like JS "Visualize Metadata" tool
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:28 AM   #8
chicleeblair
Connoisseur
chicleeblair began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Is there a way to delete all or batch delete in columns that are textboxes like comments, or IDs?

I’m redoing my BookFusion catalog so I want to clear the old ids, and also accidentally sent the wrong information to a column using fanficfare , and I’ve got it all fixed but I just need to delete the errors
chicleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:11 AM   #9
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicleeblair View Post
Is there a way to delete all or batch delete in columns that are textboxes like comments, or IDs?

I’m redoing my BookFusion catalog so I want to clear the old ids, and also accidentally sent the wrong information to a column using fanficfare , and I’ve got it all fixed but I just need to delete the errors
Is it this? Select books > Edit metadata > Edit metadata in bulk > Search and replace tab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	[calibre] 2023-08-01 12-59-47.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	202913  
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The "official" lookup name is "timestamp". However, various places in calibre, in particular templates, also accept "date" (it accepts any search term as the key).

As for searching, the only acceptable value is "date". Below is the "field metadata" that shows most of what calibre knows about the field.
Code:
            ('timestamp', {'table':None,
                           'column':None,
                           'datatype':'datetime',
                           'is_multiple':{},
                           'kind':'field',
                           'name':_('Date'),
                           'search_terms':['date'],
                           'is_custom':False,
                           'is_category':False,
                           'is_csp': False}),
Old 08-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Is it possible to display a composite column as a list rather than comma-separated?
Old 08-08-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it possible to display a composite column as a list rather than comma-separated?
I don't understand. Lists except authors (names) are comma-separated.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:46 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Sorry, I meant a bulleted list. I thought I saw a screenshot of one before, but maybe that was just a regular longtext column.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I meant a bulleted list. I thought I saw a screenshot of one before, but maybe that was just a regular longtext column.
Tags-like composites can't be shown as bulleted lists. They can be shown one per line. One hack would be to make the column hierarchical with the outer level a dot then show one per line.

What I would consider is making a contains-html text column that reformats the list with bullets then show that in book details. Up to you whether you show the original in book details. This wouldn't have impact on performance because the new composite would be evaluated only when the book's details are shown.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

For this specific case, I have a column, #readdates, which stores multiple dates, and a composite column to sort them.

Is there a better way to store multiple dates? In a regular tag column, 'Aug 12 2023' sorts alphabetically.