Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, I see now. Apparently you have to choose one of the "Dynamic" wallpaper designs for it to work. I'm using my own wallpaper image so it doesn't move around. I tried one of iOS 7's dynamic wallpapers and I can see how that would drive people nuts, cause migraines, and possibly even set off seizures for some. It reminds me of the lava lamps from the 1960s, but in super slow motion. Yuk!!

EDIT: Changing the setting for Reduce Motion has no discernible affect on the so-called parallax view. I say so-called because it is nothing more than an animated background. Moving the device around has no affect that I can see, and that would be a requirement for it to be a true parallax view.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-22-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Moving the device around has no affect that I can see

Oh, it's definitely there... When you move your device, the icons are as if on a separate layer over the wallpaper beneath. I don't mind that -- the mustard patch is the real issue for me. But I like my trusted wallpaper more than I dislike the mustard patch, so I guess I'll just have to put up with a disfigured, ugly iOS for the future, because that appears to be Apple's vision, until a new, hopefully less ugly fad comes around in 5-6 years from today. The ugliness of iOS 7, though, definitely discourages me from thinking about the purchase of an iPad mini Retina or a new iPhone...
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I've bought an iPad 1, 2, 3. iOS 7 may be the thing that pushes me to Android, or surface.

Review sites show side by side screenshots of old vs updated apps and ooh and aah about how the new ones look so much more modern. True, iOS 6 does look dated, but the new look is tiring. The new design philosophy results in way too much white space. Deprecated textures and gradients + minimalism = relentless, unbroken white background. It hurts my eyes.

You can make the font bolder, but what about the icons? You don't even get solid icons anymore, just thin outlines. Again, looks cool, but harder to see and process. It 's the triumph of look over useability.

You know what iOS 7 looks like? Android with cranked up gamma and oppressively cheerful colors.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well, I can't see any difference when I move my iPad, but it just occurred to me it probably doesn't have a compass built in. My iPhone 5 has a compass and I can see the parallax movement on it, though it is so subtle that it has no affect on the icons as far as my eyes go. Just a waste of processing power and battery IMO.

A friend of mine called to talk with Apple Support yesterday about an issue he was having with his iPhone 5 and iOS 7. The support guy told him they were having a huge amount of complaints flooding in. Most of us around the MR forum are tech savvy, but most people are not. I know a lot of my friends and family were caught completely off guard by the new look of iOS 7 because they don't keep up with what is happening in the tech world. They were expecting another typical iOS update that looked the same with a little more functionality. They got a huge surprise that they didn't like! So I would not be surprised if that is true for most people who are upgrading. I hope our angry voices echo through the halls of Apple like they did with the iOS 6 Maps fiasco, and heads roll!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've bought an iPad 1, 2, 3. iOS 7 may be the thing that pushes me to Android, or surface.

Review sites show side by side screenshots of old vs updated apps and ooh and aah about how the new ones look so much more modern. True, iOS 6 does look dated, but the new look is tiring. The new design philosophy results in way too much white space. Deprecated textures and gradients + minimalism = relentless, unbroken white background. It hurts my eyes.

You can make the font bolder, but what about the icons? You don't even get solid icons anymore, just thin outlines. Again, looks cool, but harder to see and process. It 's the triumph of look over useability.

You know what iOS 7 looks like? Android with cranked up gamma and oppressively cheerful colors.
iOS 7 is to Apple what Windows 8 was to Microsoft, a disaster. People hated Windows 8, and people seem to hate iOS 7. The hatred is mostly over aesthetics though. Over all I like the new functionality so I'm happy with iOS 7 even though it looks like poop in places. But I use the functionality way more than I stare at the darn screen, so I'll stick with iOS rather than switch. Hell nothing outside of iOS appeals to me as far as tablets and phones. Android sucks. Windows RT is a joke with so few apps and no hoards of devs lining up to write them. Blackberry is nearly dead and was never a player in the tablet arena anyway. Chrome is worthless, and not that many devices run it anyway.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face

I subscribe to every word you say, Barty. I'm surprised that practically all professional review sites sing praises on the new iOS 7 design, whereas if you ask regular iDevice owners, many of them hate the new iOS 7 looks. (That poll response is currently in the lead in this thread, too.)

Look at the screenshots below. I'm not saying the 3 screenshots in the top row are well executed, but who can really consider the 3 screenshots below them an improvement? A guy's stubbly face over 5 child-like coloured bubbles? WTF? 5 shades of grey patches with some illegible micro-thumbnails thrown in is supposed to be the better newsstand?

If this is considered "aesthetic" in 2013, I sure hope for my life from now on to be as "unaesthetic" as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	111858  
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
iOS 7 is to Apple what Windows 8 was to Microsoft, a disaster.
That's a very apt comparison that also occurred to me the other day. Time will tell, I guess -- whether we can all get used to this somehow over time, or if it proves unpalatable for a significant proportion of Apple's customers.

Quote:
Over all I like the new functionality so I'm happy with iOS 7
To be honest, I find next to no new functionality in iOS 7. Adding obvious, long-overdue features like the Control Center (to me, it's badly executed, because 0% customisable) or live thumbnails in the multi-tasking switcher (both features available in Android for a long time) is not a cause for me to celebrate iOS 7.

A true breakthrough, for me, would be enabling user profiles in iOS (ŕ la Jelly Bean), or enabling custom keyboard layouts in iOS...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Well, I can't see any difference when I move my iPad, but it just occurred to me it probably doesn't have a compass built in. My iPhone 5 has a compass and I can see the parallax movement on it, though it is so subtle that it has no affect on the icons as far as my eyes go. Just a waste of processing power and battery IMO.
For what is worth, the Accelerometer and Gyroscope are used to detect movement and rotation, not the compass.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #24
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I tried iOS 7 when my father in law upgraded his ipad 2 yesterday. Played with it for 3 hours.

So far, I like the new control setting when you swipe up from the bottom of the screen.

But we agree that overall it looks too flat, and we both did not like it.
So for this poll, I will vote 'NO'.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
If ever the hackers find a way round Apple activation, I will downgrade. In the meantime I am seriously considering selling my 4S and looking around for a 4S or 5 which has not been upgrade. I was actually going to buy a friends (larger capacity) but he just upgrades everything even stuff he doesnt use much. Like his 4S (he has a 5, and now a 5S as well) so no sale there. I wont upgrade the iPads.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
In the meantime I am seriously considering selling my 4S and looking around for a 4S or 5 which has not been upgraded.

That does take the dislike of iOS 7 to a new level, doesn't it? Rather a costly option.

I wonder how it makes Apple feel when they drive their long-time customers to such desperate measures. For example, I had been looking forward to the potential release of an iPad mini Retina, but when I realize now it will be defaced with iOS 7 when it comes out... ugh! Owning such a device suddenly no longer seems desirable.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm not able to answer in English. The word which comes to my mind is "pasteloso" so no, I don't like it at all.
Good wording!
Looks like someone fell into the paint bucket!
I find it way too shiny and cheesy...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My description of the look of iOS 7 is "clown puke." So no, I don't like the look. It is a loss of legibility, between the thinner fonts and brighter colors. The flat look comes across as "me-too" aping of some other OS's.

The feel is better than that but you rolled them together.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I know I'm piling on, but look at this thing

Those things look like baby monitors. What adult would want to walk around with one of those? Are they aiming for teens? Tweens? Mind you, the 5c still costs $100 with contract. It's not cheap.

It's like they deliberate make the low end so awful it will drive people to the 5s. Like they're not aware there are things called android phones.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I know I'm piling on, but look at this thing

Those things look like baby monitors. What adult would want to walk around with one of those? Are they aiming for teens? Tweens? Mind you, the 5c still costs $100 with contract. It's not cheap.

It's like they deliberate make the low end so awful it will drive people to the 5s. Like they're not aware there are things called android phones.
I wouldn't have problem with this. I like color... A lot (my iPad cover is pink and aquamarine). But SW? No thank you.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote