Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon Offering Kindle Replacements for $180?

From the Amazon Forums:

Quote:
My daughter dropped my Kindle today. Now the display won't work.

I contacted Amazon and found out I can replace it for $180. No thanks. Half the purchase price is a little too much.

Now I have a $360 paperweight. Lucky me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That is useful for kindle owners to know. Thanks daffy4u.

That particular kindle owner might try claiming on her/his house insurance, if it has accidental damage cover.
But I am still surprised that other people are surprised to find that screens break when they are dropped.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a feeling Amazon is clearing out Kindles that were returned for various reasons and making way for 2.0.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't beleive it. From the very beginning the Kindle warranty has covered everything including accidental damage. It makes little sense for Amazon to change the policy.

I am looking into it, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I had actually read other stories similar to this in recent weeks. Perhaps this is their way of dealing with complaints/concerns about Amazon not offering an extended warranty or repair service.

What I wouldn't be surprised is if, rather than it being policy, they consider your purchase history when making the offer. Keep in mind they are trying to grow Kindle readership and their ebook business, not lose customers. Unlike Sony who specializes in devices, Amazon is into book selling...so its good business for Amazon to replace Kindles at cost to keep selling eBooks.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That particular kindle owner might try claiming on her/his house insurance, if it has accidental damage cover.
But I am still surprised that other people are surprised to find that screens break when they are dropped.
$180s not bad. Do they require you send the original Kindle back?

You must have some great insurance over in the UK. For my homeowners I carry a $1000 deductible on perils other than hurricane and sinkhole... and those later two are much higher.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
$180 is a great deal. It's not what most companies would do, which is tell you too bad.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't get why she's complaining. She broke it and their offering to replace the most central and expensive part for 1/2 the price of a new device. It's not like it malfunctioned on its own.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
$180s not bad. Do they require you send the original Kindle back?

You must have some great insurance over in the UK. For my homeowners I carry a $1000 deductible on perils other than hurricane and sinkhole... and those later two are much higher.

BOb
Plus here in the US if you make a claim, expect to have your rates jump. Even if your deductible was that low, it most likely wouldn't be worth the rate hike.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Plus here in the US if you make a claim, expect to have your rates jump. Even if your deductible was that low, it most likely wouldn't be worth the rate hike.

That not necessarily true for homeowners. I made a claim on my renters insurance when our basement flooded. My rate didn't change. Sometimes with auto insurance this is true, because you generally make a claim when you've had an accident. Having the accident changes your rate because you've had an accident within the last three years which raises your risk level. If you have an accident that gets reported to the police even if you didn't make a claim your rates could go up. That is why many people for small fender benders don't want to involve the police.

Perhaps we have some actuaries here that can explain how it really works.

BOb
Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
$180 is a great deal. It's not what most companies would do, which is tell you too bad.
OTOH, I was able to buy an extended warranty for my Sony 505 from Sony. The warranty is for 3 years and covers damage of any kind. The cost was $70. Normally I wouldn't buy an extended warranty, particularly not for something like the Reader, but with all the stories of cracked screens, spilled Cokes, etc., and with all the time I spend actually using the device, I thought it worthwhile.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I absolutely agree. This person dropped their Kindle and it broke. It is their fault. Amazon is offering to let them buy a new one at half price. They don't have to do this.

Try this, go buy an iPod or a digital camera or something at Best Buy. Then drive over it with your car. Then go to Best Buy... tell them you broke it and see if they offer you a new one at half price. I doubt that they will.

I also assume Amazon is offering this because they don't really have any repair facilities yet. It is a good compromise.

BOb
Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Apparently from the discussion over there they are refurbished units - which means if true Amazon has a repair facility somewhere.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Apparently from the discussion over there they are refurbished units - which means if true Amazon has a repair facility somewhere.
Or "refurbished" simply refers to units that were returned, "cleaned up" and verfied operational.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Or "refurbished" simply refers to units that were returned, "cleaned up" and verfied operational.
According to one post, they called Amazon, and this was their reply.,.,l

QuietWinds says:
I called Amazon.
The $180 is a "service fee" and not the price of a Kindle. What you get back is the refurbished Kindle.

I, for one, am glad to hear it since I now have hundreds of treasured books. However, even if that were not the case $180 is perfectly reasonable alternative then taking a $399 loss and losing a product that has afforded me such convenience and reading pleasure. That part is priceless.

So they do have a repair option, just not advertising it......yet.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-18-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Left out part of quote
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, broken, damaged, kindle, replacement