Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Someone at my local used book store mentioned that a normal print run for a first novel in England might be 5000 copies (Can anyone fact check that?) and he'd like to know what the print run of this novel was. If it was very much higher than 5000, then he'd suspect the "unmasking" was planned.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #47
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
One of these chaps?

If he is Davey he is in a lot of trouble.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
A giraffe? Stephen King?
A giraffe is closer
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
One of these chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If he is Davey he is in a lot of trouble.
Apache
...oh my! That sent me running for a mirror. I held it under my nose to see if I was breathing and saw definite signs of moisture. Definitely not Davy. Whew, that was a close call
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Nora Roberts went against stereotype when she first started writing as JD Robb - as I recall, her books were successful before word of the pseudonym got out. On the other hand, I don't recall a false bio for the Robb pseudonym. I don't think that, on the first books, there even was an author bio.
I don't think a false bio is bad but I think it could be a little closer to the truth.
On Fantastic fiction the bio is there, but also it says it is a pseudonym of JK Rowling. Using a different gender name is not uncommon, but I wonder if stating that the author is a former RMP member and currently working for a security firm was the right thing to do. Not that that would stop me from reading a good book. Can't think of much that would stop me from reading a good book.

I did look at the first few pages on Amazon and it looks like it is probably a good book and I will probably read it one of these days. Probably I would not read it if not for this thread as I have a TBR list of mysteries longer than my arm, but who knows. If published under her own name originally, I would not read it as I did not care for Harry Potter.

I don't think the leak originated with Rowling, but of course I don't know. I can think of lots of valid reasons for wanting to start afresh, and few for leaking it this soon from Rowling's POV.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #51
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
No sensible author can think a pseudonymous identity will remain secret for year after year. Yet lots of them adopt one.

I see no reason to think she's particularly money-hungry, if that's what some think. One little piece of evidence: She gave away sixteen percent of her fortune in 2011. Not 16% of her income -- 16% of her wealth. I think that's extremely unusual for someone so young, and so likely to be past her peak earnings years.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Someone at my local used book store mentioned that a normal print run for a first novel in England might be 5000 copies (Can anyone fact check that?) and he'd like to know what the print run of this novel was. If it was very much higher than 5000, then he'd suspect the "unmasking" was planned.
It seems like the 1500 number quoted earlier was the hardcovers shipped within the UK to bookstores. The hardcover shows an in stock date 5 days from now at Amazon UK and a 1 to 3 week delivery schedule for Amazon US, likely the publisher is rushing out a second print run. None of this indicates the unmasking was planned. link with some of this info
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can just see some publishing execs...

"We're not having a good quarter so far, any ideas?"

"We could leak that Robert Galbraith is really J.K. Rowling. The books getting good pub, but that should really make it sell."
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #54
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm about 15% into the ebook now. The protagonist is instantly likable. He reminds me of Madeye Moody from the HP books for some reason. Seems like a great detective novel so far. Let's see how it goes.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
The protagonist is instantly likable. He reminds me of Madeye Moody from the HP books for some reason.
The real telling question there is did he remind you of him BEFORE you knew JK wrote it, or only after...?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The real telling question there is did he remind you of him BEFORE you knew JK wrote it, or only after...?
That is the question I ask myself. I have never read a book based on popularity that I can recall. Any strong preconceptions/expectations that I have had are/were based on personal experience of the author.

Now I have fairly strong preconceptions based on rumours etc. and a slight negative one based on the fact that I didn't care for Harry Potter (I didn't finish the first book or watch the whole movie).

Due to this thread I read the excerpt, which I seldom do and it looks like a book that I would enjoy, so I'll probably read it eventually.

Helen
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For those interested, the ebook is showing up in libraries.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #58
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For those interested, the ebook is showing up in libraries.
It is on the Vancouver public library website with 73 reserves already.

Makes me wonder about the dynamics behind library purchases. Is it Twitter based perhaps?

Helen
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #59
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It is on the Vancouver public library website with 73 reserves already.

Makes me wonder about the dynamics behind library purchases. Is it Twitter based perhaps?

Helen
To be fair, some of the libraries had the book before the news broke. One of my libraries had only one copy and a few people on hold. Now there are 60 copies and more than 200 people on hold.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
To be fair, some of the libraries had the book before the news broke. One of my libraries had only one copy and a few people on hold. Now there are 60 copies and more than 200 people on hold.
Interesting. I actually am interested in the dynamics of library purchasing and wonder why a book by an unknown author would be purchased so soon.

Overall it is good to showcase new authors, but how are they chosen? Do libraries get a break on pricing and if so why not give them a break on say 3 copies. Would perhaps be a smart PR/Marketing move.

Lots of great authors where the library has a limited selection of their books and many special interest books where there seem to be few checkouts.

Ebooks are relatively new compared to paper books, but I would think the same selection methods would apply.

Sorry for being off topic.

Helen