Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
Hierarchical Collection?

Huh, I just noticed that rupors AMR has hierarchical collection. i.e. there is a collection called "internal memory" that contains collections called ".../Acevedo", ".../Bradley", ... etc

Is there a way to do this with normal collections? I have quite a few Star Trek books on my reader and now i have a collection called "Star Trek TNG" one called "Star Trek VOY" etc. and it would be nice to have one big collection called "Star Trek" with subcollections "TNG", etc.

BTW great project
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
dodai
dodai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Maybe you should ask for this feature in the Calibre section.
dodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
silentguy
Connoisseur

Well, no, to be able to help, calibre needs to know if there is a way to create collections in a hierarchical way on the reader. In calibre the tags are already hierarchical, this information is just not transfered yet.

it would be helpful to know how rupor created the hierarchical collection.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
silentguy
Take a look here. May be this is what you are looking for?
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
silentguy
Connoisseur

Hm, thanks, but that does not seem to do what i want either... It allows me to edit collections on the pc (which i can already can with calibre) and to automatically generate colections (which i don't need).

I am looking for a way to have collections displayed like your firmware does for memory, i.e. collections within collections. But looking in the way normal collections are stored in the database I guess what I want is currently not supported.

Your collections within collections don't come from the database so i guess you got around that limitation...
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

I'll tell you a secret - my collections are coming from the database All of them.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
silentguy
Connoisseur

Huh? I did not find any references to the "internal memory" collection...

None of the tables in the database seems to allow me to specify that the collection TNG is part of the collection "Star Trek" or that the collection "Crime" is part of the collection "Genres"...

Last edited by silentguy; 06-06-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle

I am not claiming that you could do what you want without modifying firmware. However if you are willing to do so (as I did) existing database probably has enough data to build what you want - SQL has plenty of power.

There is source_id columnt which shows where the book is kept - internal memory or SD and there are full paths and files names columns...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
silentguy
Connoisseur

Okay, that is what I meant with "not possible"... "not possible without fw mod" ;-)

I should start working on my thesis, so... I guess I will try to figure out how to mod the firmware... anything to distract myself... ;-)

I already checked out your svn but have not found out how to use it yet... all things in good time...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
silentguy
Connoisseur

Meh, seems to involve too much I would have to teach myself for a rather simple modification I is not really something I need, just something that would be nice to have...
I'll just describe how it's done in calibre in case "someone" feels like integrating it. ;-)

Assuming my database contains the collections
"Series.Star Trek.TNG"
"Series.Star Trek.VOY"
"Series.Star Trek"
"Series.Flavia"
"Genre.Crime"
"Genre.SciFi"
instead of showing all the collections, i would like to only see a "Series" and "Genre". If you click on "Series" it offers "Star Trek" and "Flavia". If you click on "Star Trek" it shows "(none)", "TNG", "VOY", and those then contain the books.
Personally I think a ":" of a ">" would make a better separator (see for instance the top of this page *g*) but the "." is what calibre uses...

I keep going on about calibre but this would of cause also be useful without calibre if you manage your collections in any other way.

And just to repeat, I'm talking about actual collections. You always come back to how files are stored in folders, but I don't use folders cause one book can be in multiple collections but only in one folder
Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Any news?
I'm very interested in this.
salines is offline   Reply With Quote