Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
frankelr
frankelr doesn't litterfrankelr doesn't litter

Device: k3kb, KTso, Nook ST
Nook Simple Touch Battery Usage Data

For those who are interested. After a few weeks of measurement, my Nook ST
looses 2 percent a day in sleep mode (wifi off and no books being read) and
0.5 percent a day when turned off (I assume this is battery self-discharge).

The time is takes for my unit to restart from "off" is about 20 seconds.

So for myself I plan to use sleep mode when I'm in the middle of a book and "turn off" between books.

I'm interested in any ones options and/or data

Bob
frankelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I don't have any detailed stats, but based on a few months usage, I only have to charge about once a month. That's with wi-fi usually off and about 1-2 hours a day of reading.

Maybe I'll track some of this for fun the next time I charge up and report back how it goes.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Still working out my wonky issues, but personally I'd only turn mine off if I knew I was not going to use it for a significant period of time, say more than 2 weeks. 2% per day battery discharge in sleep sounds rather high considering the expected battery life on a full charge of 60 days at half an hour or an hour depending on the source you read, that would be 120% battery discharge in those 60 days if it was asleep between that half an hour or hour of reading, which I suspect it is for those measurements.

Sleep power use should be in the realm of 1-2mw, which works out to about 1% per day if 2mw and .5% per day in sleep mode for 1mw (1.1mw is approximately the minimum amount required to keep from losing memory state from LPDDR1, probably varies per LPDDR1 manufacturer though, but I doubt it is far off from that). Shouldn't need much else in sleep mode other than keeping memory state.

Battery self discharge should be roughly .5% per day on its own however for most/all rechargable lithium ion batteries (discharge/overcharge protection circuit used on smart LiIon batteries uses a small amount of power all the time and is independent of the device hardware).

So should see an average 1-1.5% day in sleep mode. Taking those 60 days in to account, I am thinking you should see about 1% in sleep mode and about .5% while off, at least if you stretched it out over a long testing span, like a full month or even 2 months.

No matter the use case, the battery should last about 4-6 years before you start noticing any appreciable drop in battery life. You just don't go through all that many charge cycles on something with roughly a 1 month battery life. Now a tab that is used a lot and burns through its battery and has to be charged up almost from empty every day, that'll probably show appreciable loss of battery capacity after as little as a year or a year and a half, probably ~2 years. LiIon batteries tend to withstand about 500 charge cycles to drop to about 75% new battery capacity. Of course the battery capacity will start going faster after that, so at 1,000 cycles you probably have less than half the original life left.

About 7 years of shelf life without significant use to get to 50% new battery capacity.

Personally I don't think I plan on getting rid of my nook ST, even if a nice shiny new toy comes out. At least not for awhile. Some nice new eink reader comes out that is worth while upgrading, I'll do that. Then my nook ST is going to live on as a backup and/or hazardous use ereader (IE for when backpacking instead of taking the nicer one, though right now the nook ST is going to be going backpacking the next time I go). All said, I don't expect to get even 4 years of life out of it. I'd expect there will be something new and shiny (or matte, I prefer it in matte) to get me to purchase it in the next 9-18 months. After that, probably another new upgrade within 2 years of that and so on. At least for the foreseable future.

Ereaders seem to be a little slower in "new models" than tablets and phones are, but there still seems to be a roughly 18-24 month release cycle. Unless the next models are barely incremental, for $99 roughly (so long as prices don't rise that is) I don't mind getting a nicer one when they come out.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
... but personally I'd only turn mine off if I knew I was not going to use it for a significant period of time, say more than 2 weeks.
I agree. I don't see much point in turning it fully off, even at 2% battery use per day in sleep mode (which sounds about right to me).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Oh, a bit more math. Smart Lithium Ion batteries discharge at about 10% per month, so actual "off" discharge should be more like .3-.4% per day (unless there is some kind of other drain in there). The "sleep" discharge should be that, plus whatever the nook ST is using to keep monitoring the n button (probably no current used until the button is hit) and keeping the memory state (as I mentioned, 1-2mw).

So really, sleep discharge should be more like 1% per day, including the battery self discharge on the high end.

Of course as I am finding, the battery meter is not the most accurate thing in the world when it comes to gauging the true state of the battery charge on these things.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
battery life, nook