Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Balaji
Balaji began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Images and captions in epub

Hi,

I got a request from my client about images in epub (she is viewing the book in iBooks):

When you double-click on an image it appears alone on the screen, but at the same size as before. Please correct so image fills the screen when you select it. Captions should be part of the image and should also appear when image is selected.

Please tell me if this is possible and if yes please guide me how to do it.

Balaji
Balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Zooming the image is purely based on the image. So, if the caption also must appear while double-clicking, it should be part of the image and not just text below it.

Take care though, because zooming in or out can result in text that is not really readable anymore.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Balaji
Balaji began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks Toxaris. I will keep that in mind.
Balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji View Post
...Please correct so image fills the screen when you select it. Captions should be part of the image and should also appear when image is selected.

Please tell me if this is possible and if yes please guide me how to do it.

Balaji
Creating the fit-to-screen behavior can be very reader (device or software) specific. Some do it automatically (e.g. Kindle devices and software will fit to screen any image regardless of size) and others require that the image be a size that matches the device's display makling the resulting book very device specific. Also, the image needs to be high enough resolution for the larger image to be decent quality.

When you need the caption to be in the full screen image it needs to be part of the image itself, as Toxaris said. This requires that you use an appropriate text size relative to the image when editing it in an image editor (e.g. Photoshop, ...) in order for the text to be readable. Depending on the size of the normal image display, you may find that you need a text caption in addition to the text in the image as the latter may be too small to read when the image is not displayed full screen.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote