Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #76
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I'm in I'll have to cut back on the Comic Books and Graphic Novels
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #77
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Shack70! I used to live in Dallastown years ago.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #78
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
eh, shouldn't be a problem. Not with my reading level over the last 3 years :-)
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #79
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Almost two books per week? Every week for a year? I can't imagine myself doing it.

I'm a slow reader (but I never have to read a book twice to get the most of it a remember most details).

Plus, reading is not my only hobby. I get distracted all the time.

But I'll try to count, for the first time, how many books I read this year. That will be my goal.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #80
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Welcome Shack70! I used to live in Dallastown years ago.
And I grew up in Delta.

On topic, I'm thinking about joining in, but I tend to break up my novel reading with shorter works, so I'm not sure how well it would work for me. I've got a rough equation for converting Kindle locations to pages (don't ask me what it is, it's written down somewhere around here and my brain is in holiday mode) so I was thinking I would go along making sure that my choices balance each other out every so often.

I've had my Kindle for two weeks and it's already got more than enough full-length works on it to get me through this challenge and then some, and I guarantee I'll be adding more daily. Just so long as no one makes fun of my reading choices...
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #81
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I joined - but I won't get to 100.

Regards
Caleb
Neither will I but it will be fun to try lol
It does say that the books have to be at least 125 pages... though most books are in the 350+ range
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #82
Rakgi
Suikoden Star of Destiny
Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, IPad1, IPad Mini, Kindle 4, Kindle PW1, Kobo Mini
I joined but only because I had already set the read 100 books in 2011 at the beginning of December (second goal is to read 50 manga volumes in 2011)

I probably won't get to 100 books but seeing how many I do actually read will be interesting
Rakgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm in, in any case, but I can't quite decide if re-reads count. My inclination is to say no, but more often than not, my in-the-middle-of-the-night, can't-sleep reading is an old favorite.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #84
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I've joined the group, but am considering un-joining. Everyone is putting so many "rules" on this that it is becoming confining. Do we or do we not COUNT audiobooks, comics, previously read, short stories, less than X pages...

I personally just want to READ and to challenge myself to READ more. Whether that is reading comics or romance, historical fiction, erotica or audiobooks, why do we have to put limits on it? Do we have to write a summary to have the book "count?" What if I only read in the bathtub, or in the backyard by the light of the full moon, do those books COUNT? Ridiculous. What's next, only certain genres of books are qualified to "count" as books?

I am going to keep track of how much I read, for myself, to see if I can spend more time reading vs hanging out on the internet. I found it fun to look back over the list of books/audiobooks/short stories I read this year. And only *I* get to decide what "COUNTS."
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #85
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
I've joined the group, but am considering un-joining. Everyone is putting so many "rules" on this that it is becoming confining. Do we or do we not COUNT audiobooks, comics, previously read, short stories, less than X pages...
My personal plan is not to sweat it.

Nobody's going to be checking up on what you read. I intend to count *every* book I read in 2011. I still won't come near 100, but it's a challenge I'm willing to undertake for it's own sake.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #86
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
And only *I* get to decide what "COUNTS."
You tell 'em!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #87
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I am going to keep track of how much I read, for myself, to see if I can spend more time reading vs hanging out on the internet. I found it fun to look back over the list of books/audiobooks/short stories I read this year. And only *I* get to decide what "COUNTS."
That's the whole point of challenges like these. They are for your OWN enjoyment and for pushing/motivating yourself to read more. It's not a competition and in the end you will be the one keeping score.

Do it the way it makes sense to you and read what you like to read, when and how you want to read it.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #88
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
That's the whole point of challenges like these.
Well, listening to audios and reading fancy comic books doesn't seem like much of a challenge to me!

I think that the OP is well within his rights to lay down the terms of his challenge.

I have no intention of reading 100 books next year, but I have responded because I think it will be fun to participate, and it will be fun to see if anything anyone else is reading looks interesting.

If people want to spend their free time listening to audios, it's OK with me. But that's not what the original challenge was. I think we see people declaring before we start that they intend to take the easy way out, and plan to claim they have met the challenge after doing so.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #89
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I think the number one rule here should be "Don`t take yourself so seriously". If you use this rule everyday your life will be so much nicer. The whole point of this challenge is not to win, but to encourage everyone to read.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #90
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I joined, but it may be difficult. I set a charity knitting challenge for myself, and accomplished 502 hours last year. But that took until October. I am only going to challenge myself to 250 hours this year, which will free up commuting time and weekends to add to my "before bed" reading.

My only issue is I am not going to enter the titles of the books I read. I read a lot of romance novels, that have horrible titles (The Greek Tycoon's Resistant Mistress). Contrary to the titles, there is no violence, at least of the physical part (emotional is another story). I think it will be good for me to put down the category of the books I read - that way I can make sure there is a little variety. There certainly is variety in my library - I just need to make sure I do that.

Last book read "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production