Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #766
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
Good to know - I found the texture of the Glo to be somewhat off-putting, but I am probably more picky than most about such things.
I actually like the Glo's texture. Feels more "real paperish" to me.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #767
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Good to know - I found the texture of the Glo to be somewhat off-putting, but I am probably more picky than most about such things.
That's funny... I also find the "feel" on the Kobo Glo weird, and those were my exact words in another thread here, that it's just "off-putting" to me. It might not have been so had I not been using PRS-350s for over 2 years, where the screen has a very nice smooth feel to it, it's silky smooth in comparison to the Glo. But I seriously doubt I'll ever get used to that bumpy feel.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #768
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
For those who have used the Aura and the Glo: Does the Aura's screen have the same slightly "sandy" feel that the Glo screen has?
No, it's smoother. But in one respect that's worse - I notice that it reflects a bit more light.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #769
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
I am trying not to panic. After waiting 20 days I finally received my Aura yesterday. I set it up and read a while last night before bed. I went to put it to sleep but I noticed I powered it off instead. I was like that's ok. Well this morning I just tried to turn it on and it got stuck at the screen where the little boxes go across the screen. I waited for minutes nothing. So I tried to turn it on again ..it kept doing this. Then I popped out my sd card and I thought I would try to reset it. When I used a paper clip to reset it it came on but didn't reset. It froze at the home screen..I hooked it up to my laptop and it connected to pc. I am about to eject it but I can already tell something is wrong. I can only imagine if I call Kobo that I'd wait probably 3 months sending it back for a replacement. This is so frustrating.
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #770
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
I am trying not to panic. After waiting 20 days I finally received my Aura yesterday. I set it up and read a while last night before bed. I went to put it to sleep but I noticed I powered it off instead. I was like that's ok. Well this morning I just tried to turn it on and it got stuck at the screen where the little boxes go across the screen. I waited for minutes nothing. So I tried to turn it on again ..it kept doing this. Then I popped out my sd card and I thought I would try to reset it. When I used a paper clip to reset it it came on but didn't reset. It froze at the home screen..I hooked it up to my laptop and it connected to pc. I am about to eject it but I can already tell something is wrong. I can only imagine if I call Kobo that I'd wait probably 3 months sending it back for a replacement. This is so frustrating.
This is a duplicate of a post you wrote in its own thread. You are new here, so probably no one told you that it is not something we do here ( or in most places like this). It quickly gets confusing if a conversation is taking place in more than one place.

Last edited by taming; 05-09-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added hyperlink
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #771
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

That other thread has now been deleted. Please do not double-post. MobileRead considers that a form of spam.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #772
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Does the Kindle and/or Paperwhite have something like Kobo's Reader Life where you can view reading stats on books? I know they can show how much time is left in the book that is open, but I love Kobo's Reader Life.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #773
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Nope. Kindle doesn't have that.

Would be a nice feature, to show a graph of reading speed, pages per day, week, month, and so on. Without sending that stuff to the manufacturer of course.

I don't know if Reading Life can do this, but the Kindle doesn't tell you anything apart from time to read.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #774
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For those still wanting to buy one since Kobo wasn't telling me much useful info on when to expect more stock in their store from Twitter, email and online chat, about 2 days I also had a look at the Canadian partners and most of them seemed to have stock of the Espressp, actually I think all 3 colours, at least online. Except for one store which I think didn't stock it at all (only had one colour). WHSmith in the UK also seemed to have stock of all 3 online.

Also the Espresso came in stock on the Kobo webstore earlier today. Both covers are in stock again. (Only 1 colour for each, but was it ever any different?)
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #775
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Aura is now available in the Netherlands for 179 euro. I actually need to restrain myself.... I don't have a problem with my Kindle, and I actually don't like the Aura's weird back and the cover with the magnet sticking out on the side. Still, the larger screen and extra customizability are tempting.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #776
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
For those still wanting to buy one since Kobo wasn't telling me much useful info on when to expect more stock in their store from Twitter, email and online chat, about 2 days I also had a look at the Canadian partners and most of them seemed to have stock of the Espressp, actually I think all 3 colours, at least online. Except for one store which I think didn't stock it at all (only had one colour). WHSmith in the UK also seemed to have stock of all 3 online.

Also the Espresso came in stock on the Kobo webstore earlier today. Both covers are in stock again. (Only 1 colour for each, but was it ever any different?)
today i ordered mine in espresso. after adding it to my cart, i was given the option of also adding the espresso sleep cover. so i clicked on it, too. but in my cart and at check out, the cover was not there. i went back to the accessories section to see if it's available. and it's not. the only accessories showing are the leather folio and the black sleep cover. and the black sleep cover is sold out. now i'm just waiting for the espresso cover to come back.

Last edited by rem736; 05-16-2013 at 09:44 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #777
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I freaking love this reader. So, so, so, so, so much better than the Sony T1. It's white white with the light on in daylight. The text is razor sharp. The build quality is on par with the older, metal Sony's. And it's faaast. Startup is instantaneous, books load super fast, menus come up snappy. I love the white, I love the ridges on the back, I love the red power button. Bravo Kobo. Great device.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #778
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thoreau, stop that.

I'm trying to come up with reasons *not* to buy this thing to replace a perfectly good KPW. You're not helping

In due time, there will probably be custom covers for the Aura that I do like, maybe even offsetting the weird back somewhat, which is also not helping... But 179 euro's will get me at least 30 books. Hm...

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #779
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
What is it that people are finding so weird about the AuraHD's back? Is it something
that effects only those who are right or left handed? Is it an ascetic thing, a non-flat
back just too much for you?

I kinda like it, it fits fine. It feels not a lot different than a flat back would, the little
bit of difference is to the good, in my opinion.

I have just ordered some samples of 3M DiNoc Carbon Fiber Vinyl car wrap. I'll give
that a try on just the back of the Aura, and see how it looks and feels.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #780
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I think general consensus is that the back should be flat so it's easier to design a case for it and to possibly make the aura slimmer.

A lot of people seem to think the back is slippery and having to buy other materials to put on it is a hassle.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote