Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Just hold off until Saturday when, based on Amazon's press release, you can get a $20 gift card for $10. At least the $10 will ease your pain a little.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
The main jailbreaker here stated yesterday that he is not going to do anymore on jailbreaking for KSO so it looks like it won't be happening. The big issue is the screensaver hack, not the jailbreak which works. The KSO screensaver seems to operate differently so the hack doesn't function.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
marian8i
marian8i began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face 3.2 kindle screensaver hack help!

Hello!

I have been gifted the 3.2 ad-supported kindle version and as much happy i was at first so much frustrated i am at the moment! who the hell has ever thought that it would be a good idea to put these horrible ads on an e-reader!???

i have just registered my kindle and i have also been gifted a gift card, so i have some questions. i am very new on this whole kindle thing, so please help, if you can:

1. if i deregister my kindle, will the old screensavers come back?
2. if i deregister my kindle, will i be able to register again in the same account?
3. is there or not a screensaver hack for 3.2 version of ad-supported kindle?
4. if i hack it, will i be able to connect to my amazon account and buy books? or am i going to have any problems?

please let me read your thoughts, i have a very small idea how this ad kindle works!
marian8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
1) I don't think so.
2) Yes
3) No *
4) N/A because of 3, but if 3 was Yes... probably.

* Some here will invariably say Yes or Maybe because there are some hoops you can jump through to not see the ads, but it's not permanent and you can't customize the screensavers like you could with the normal screen-saver hack. So "No."

Your best bet is to sell the gifted Kindle and buy the model you wanted.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
marian8i

Thanks DiapDealer!

it is such a stupid idea to create this ad-version! who would ever want a kindle with ad-screensavers? i guess i have to live with it, but i can't help the disappointment! kindle is about books, why the horrible ads? shame on amazon...
Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ more attractive pricepoint for consumers with tighter pockets [e.g. elderly, fixed income folks, cash poor students, etc...].

Especially attractive if the ads themselves are not very obtrusive and do not overly interfere with basic functionality.

Surf the web lately? Ads are everywhere and they ain't going anywhere
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it is such a stupid idea to create this ad-version! who would ever want a kindle with ad-screensavers?
Actually, it sounds like quite a few KSO's have found happy homes if comments on this forum are any indication.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
marian8i

I hope someone does sth with a new hack soon!
We will love you!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian8i View Post
it is such a stupid idea to create this ad-version! who would ever want a kindle with ad-screensavers? i guess i have to live with it, but i can't help the disappointment! kindle is about books, why the horrible ads? shame on amazon...
Why did you buy it then? (Oops sorry saw it was gifted) One thing you can do is return it and get the special Kindles that have a price tag of $114, and dont come with a wall charger. I am tempted to do that.

I am also tempted to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139279 which claims one can get rid of the screensavers add your own and then revert back when a decent ad comes along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3) No *

* Some here will invariably say Yes or Maybe because there are some hoops you can jump through to not see the ads, but it's not permanent and you can't customize the screensavers like you could with the normal screen-saver hack. So "No."
I think based on the link above that it may be a qualified yes instead of a qualified no.

Last edited by volwrath; 06-16-2011 at 01:34 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I hope someone does sth with a new hack soon!
I can only suggest that those who are buying cheaper Kindles—assuming that a hack is coming along shortly that will magically turn it into a "normal" Kindle—should not hold their breath. Or at the very least, wait until it becomes apparent that someone who does this sort of hacking might be remotely interested in helping KSO owners play that kind of a shell game.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
marian8i

Oh god it was a gift! I would never buy it! And my KSO was bought in usa, i live in greece... not so easy and cheap to change it...

But as i can see, many people who bought the KSO did not actually understand what it really is!

It is a big fail that amazon launched this thing, taking advantage of people who just want to save some money... and why ads as screensavers? they could do it otherwise... i swear i' ll buy olay!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think based on the link above that it may be a qualified yes instead of a qualified no.
I'm still going with a qualified "No" until a solution is put forth that doesn't require neophytes to get telnet/ssh going and enter commands in a bash shell.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
marian8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
i am not such an expert on computers...
Maybe something easier? or more instructions?
really frustrated with this ads thing... all about advertising! and they call it "special offers"!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
marian8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can only suggest that those who are buying cheaper Kindles—assuming that a hack is coming along shortly that will magically turn it into a "normal" Kindle—should not hold their breath. Or at the very least, wait until it becomes apparent that someone who does this sort of hacking might be remotely interested in helping KSO owners play that kind of a shell game.
Oh come on! of course it is nobody's obligitation to create this kind of hack! but we' d love them to do it!
thank you all for the discussion!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
I'm still going with a qualified "No" until a solution is put forth that doesn't require neophytes to get telnet/ssh going and enter commands in a bash shell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian8i
i am not such an expert on computers...
Maybe something easier? or more instructions?
Need I say more?

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, kindle 3.2.1