Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Kobo's in the US

My Kobo Reader arrived this afternoon via UPS. No customs to pay.

I loaded a bunch of books will be playing with the reader tonight.

So far I like the rubberized back (reminds me of my first Kindle), and the font. I especially like seeing book covers.

ETA:

Here are the bugs/negatives I found:

- *Every* and I mean every single one of the 25 Calibre generated ePubs didn't allow me to change font size. After deleting any references to font size in the CSS file the ebooks worked great. I need to research the optimal settings in Calibre until Kobo gets the ePub bug figured out.

- Downloaded epubs from other sources (library and Fictionwise) are hit or miss. Some allow font size changes, others don't.

- Ejecting the Kobo from my Win7 64 bit PC gives an error when ejecting in Windows Explorer but no error when ejecting through the tray.

- For me the Kobo desktop software is useless because I have purchased no ebooks from Kobo. The desktop software does not see any of my side loaded content even though it's in the SQLite database and I can see the books on my reader. Even the ADE software sees all the content on the Kobo. Once the ePub bug is worked out I'll just use Calibre.

- As others have discovered syncing deletes the bookmarks but I didn't lose any book covers.

The positives:

+ I went ahead and removed the free books from the SQLite database (after making a backup). It was easy to do.

+ I really like the library presentation with the various fonts and cover art. Very finished and easy on the eyes. What I missed on my Kindles was seeing book covers. This was the main reason for my purchase.

+ Navigation is fairly intuitive, but I had to read about using the center push on the D button to bring up the menu.

+ When it works, changing font size with the D button is great! This was the second most important reason for my purchase.

+ Choice of fonts, only two but one more than the Kindle unless you use the font hacks.

+ Rubberized back, I don't have to worry as much about holding the Kobo since it is small and lightweight. My hands are somewhat arthritic and I keep my Kindles in cases to make them easier to hold. The Kobo will only need a decent sleeve with screen protection.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 05-06-2010 at 08:59 AM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I especially like seeing book covers.
Then whatever you do, DON'T sync with the desktop app untill they get around to updating the firmware.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Sockdog
Sockdog began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
I might be being dumb here but I just tried to order an Kobo via Indigo and they don't ship to the US. Have I missed something here?
Sockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Can you let us know from which site you bought it?
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I bought it through the link at the koboreader.com site. Since I ordered the Kobo the first day it was available maybe I slipped through.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Sockdog
Sockdog began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
I see they've got US pre-orders up via Borders.

$149.99
Delivery June 17th
Only available in White

That's a long wait. Now will we see a nook lite announced in that time frame? A Wifi only nook at $199 or $189 would give me serious pause for thought.
Sockdog is offline   Reply With Quote