Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
PDFler
PDFler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question which reader has best PDF support (creating bookmarks / highlight text)?

hello,

i am a researcher and i read dozens of academic articles every week. i would love to use an ebook reader for this task but don't know which one offers the best PDF support. I woud not read any other formats so really everything I care about is which PDF reader enables me to display PDFs in excellent quality and create bookmarks and highlight text (and, very important, enables me to transfer the modefied PDFs back to my Windows PC).

Can you help me?

Thx,
Sandra
PDFler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I would assume that the iPad, once released would be the best for PDFs. But then, it is not really a dedicated eBook reader with 'endless' battery life..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I would assume that the iPad, once released would be the best for PDFs. But then, it is not really a dedicated eBook reader with 'endless' battery life..
Of course, the question is, what PDF viewer will be on the iPad. I know on the Mac you can view PDF files with Safari or Preview. However, while Safari is on the iPad... will you have access to your own files? I guess you would if you set up some type of server that you could browse to with your iPad.

But, if you do that... will you be able to create bookmarks and keep reading where you left off. I suspect we will get A LOT more info on the iPad come April 3.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
PDFler

i would prefer a "real" ebook reader with eInk or comparable technology.

Is there someting that fit my needs?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only device I'm aware of which allows you to annotate PDFs and then "merge" the annotations back into the original document is the iRex DR1000S.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only device I'm aware of which allows you to annotate PDFs and then "merge" the annotations back into the original document is the iRex DR1000S.
I thought the eDGe allowed this too? Although it is called a Dual Book rather than an eBook Reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
pandanayan
pandanayan began at the beginning.

Annotations

Hello

I am a lawyer and am looking for an e-reader as described by PDFler.

I deal with a lot of paperwork and am all the time underlining or highlighting sentences, encircling words or phrases, making arrows or tick marks, scribbling short notes on the margins etc etc...

The above gives an idea of my needs.

I did not like printing so much paper, so I started doing all the above stuff i.e. making the annotations on the PDF document itself on my PC.

However, soon I realised that such activity strains my eyes and it really hurts.

I think an e-reader with this e-ink tech. will suit me well.

So, help my out guys.

Thanks
pandanayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Que. Irex 1000 , ....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I thought the eDGe allowed this too? Although it is called a Dual Book rather than an eBook Reader.

BOb
You may well be right, Bob; I'm afraid I know very little about that device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
PDFler

thank you all for your feedback!

Tags
highlight text, pdf bookmarks