Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
smokedragon
smokedragon began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Will the Kindle ever be available in brick and mortar stores?

For me, looking at pics just doesn't do it. I'd love to be able to hold one in my hands and try it out. Do you think that Amazon will ever sell the Kindle via Borders, Barnes And Noble, or ,Best Buy?
smokedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I don't think it will happen soon. I think Amazon will need to establish a little more dominance in the e-book market before it's comfortable doing that. Don't forget that shipping on demand from its own buildings is a huge advantage with cost for Amazon. Having to distribute to other stores would probably increase the cost of the Kindle, thus making it less appealing. There would also be sales tax to contend with in traditional book and electronics stores. The Kindle is costly simply by allowing people to use its wireless for free and (probably) taking a loss on most new and best selling books by selling them for only $9.99. Shipping them to stores across the country and the addition of sales tax would not help the cost. So the question is if allowing customers to use the device in stores would increase appeal in the device enough to make the increased price a non-factor.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
smokedragon
smokedragon began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Thanks for the reply. It's a pity that. Giving it a try would have definitely helped me in my decision to buy one. The price is what gives me hesitation. Tell the truth, if it were around the $200 range, I'd probably go for it ( I am assuming you could return it if you didn't like it).
smokedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
when you buy it from Amazon you get 30 days to decide if you want to keep it. use it as much as you want, and if you decide its not for you, ship it back to amazon for a small price (usually about $4 )with their pre-paid shipping label you print out. They will take it back with no hassle.
As long as you have enough room on your credit card this is the only way to try it out.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
when you buy it from Amazon you get 30 days to decide if you want to keep it. use it as much as you want, and if you decide its not for you, ship it back to amazon for a small price (usually about $4 )with their pre-paid shipping label you print out. They will take it back with no hassle.
As long as you have enough room on your credit card this is the only way to try it out.
I haven't heard anything with the Kindle 2. Is it still the same deal?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I haven't heard anything with the Kindle 2. Is it still the same deal?
Of course. This is Amazon's standard return policy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedragon View Post
For me, looking at pics just doesn't do it. I'd love to be able to hold one in my hands and try it out. Do you think that Amazon will ever sell the Kindle via Borders, Barnes And Noble, or ,Best Buy?
I think they would lose sales.

Look at the pitiful condition of the two I've seen at Target stores. The sales people are less than knowledgeable. IF you can find one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Check out the "nice" Target in your area - they began carrying the Sony Reader over the holidays. Obviously, it isn't the same thing, but it gives you a chance to check out the eink technology in person.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Gafle
Gafle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think they would lose sales..
Not only that. Seeing that Amazon is probably not making any money on the Kindle device - they clearly intend to cash in on the content sale - and on top of that even foots the bill for a wireless connection they cant afford to be too successful. They need to carefully control the number of devices in circulation and there is no better way of doing that than only selling it yourself.
Gafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafle View Post
Not only that. Seeing that Amazon is probably not making any money on the Kindle device - they clearly intend to cash in on the content sale - and on top of that even foots the bill for a wireless connection they cant afford to be too successful. They need to carefully control the number of devices in circulation and there is no better way of doing that than only selling it yourself.
The idea that Amazon has a limit set on how many the want to sell is ludicrous.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I highly doubt Amazon would ever let that happen..it's kind of their "baby"
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think we will see them at public libraries, in an effort to promote ebooks Amazon will begin distributing them to selected libraries across the nation. Choose a book or two and a librarian will load them onto the Kindle, check out the Kindle for 10 days or whatever. People will fall in love with the device and order one for themselves
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In order to get your hands on one and check it out, we have a really nice thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=device+cafe

Post a note with your city and ask if anyone local wants to get together for coffee or something after the K2's arrive.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh, and back on topic...

It's different for Amazon than Sony. Sony has been in stores for half a century. Amazon has always been electronic. I certainly expect to see Kindles in stores soon, because at this time, they are less convenient to purchase than just running over to Target in your house slippers and grabbing a Sony. Therefore, it makes sense to me that Kindles will be in stores soon. I'd like to see displays for both devices side-by-side on well-stocked shelves at Target, Walmart, and so on. Then let the price war begin!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It's different for Amazon than Sony. Sony has been in stores for half a century. Amazon has always been electronic.
Also, Amazon can control costs by doing just-in-time manufacturing. They can adjust the output of the factory based on the order levels probably withing a week or so of lead time. With brick and mortar you have to anticipate what you think will be ordered by retailers... you have to warehouse extra devices and also have to worry about retailer returns.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote