Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #3211
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Another new Alex Verus book from Benedict Jacka

Quoted from http://benedictjacka.co.uk/
Quote:
New Year, New Book
Posted on January 10, 2014 by Benedict

And it’s 2014. Happy New Year!

With the new year ticking round, the big news for me is that I’ve started the next book in the Alex Verus series, number 6. (Yes, there are going to be at least three more Alex Verus books after Chosen. In case you missed the news, here’s the post.)

Alex Verus #6 had a bit of a delayed start – I’d originally been hoping to have begun two months ago, but the time I’d scheduled in for working on the new book was taken up by the extensive revisions to Alex Verus #5, Hidden. Still, those are all done and dusted now, and my publisher’s happy with Hidden version 2.1, so I can quit worrying about it and focus on number 6.

One thing that’s worked out a little differently this time round is that I’ve ended up planning out the book a lot less extensively. For Taken, Chosen, and Hidden, I had the first third of each book plotted out before I even started writing. This time, for whatever reason, it just hasn’t worked out that way, and despite being nearly ten pages into the new book I only have the vaguest idea of what’s going to happen. The funny thing is, this is actually much closer to how things were when I started the series – back when I began Fated, I really didn’t know where the book was going or how long it’d be. It does mean I have to think on my feet a lot more, but in a weird way it feels a bit like going back to my roots.

Planning or no planning, though, the book’s going well, and if all keeps to schedule it should be finished by summer and released some time next year – exactly when is anybody’s guess, but Hidden is coming out in September, so number 6 should be out no more than a year after that (and hopefully a little less). We’ll see how it goes!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #3212
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Good news!! You haven't 'finished this series' since there's a new book in the series that'll be released this coming September!

No, you're right I haven't technically finished the series I have finished reading the books published so far. And I have SO MANY series in this state.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #3213
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

..........................Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim28.PNG
Views:	164
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	118335
“Life can be confusing. Good God, and how. Some-
times it seems like the older I get, the more con-
fused I become. That seems ass-backwards. I
thought I was supposed to be getting wiser.
Instead, I just keep getting hit over the head with
my relative insignificance in the greater scheme of
the universe. Confusing, life. But it beats the hell
out of the alternative.”
― Jim Butcher, Proven Guilty

Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #3214
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date countdown:

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: miscounted
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #3215
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Some interesting information I got from another thread (on goodreads):

Overview over different urban fantasy series, and how to organize them:

http://s3.postimg.org/bdjnau1xf/ufg2.png

Have now started "London Falling", but not far yet. Have not touched the fantastic stuff yet, so far only hard-boiled crime.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #3216
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
deleted
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #3217
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: mod hammered me (url shortening) but this is amazon internal shortener. explained, assuming is alright so, reverted,+miscount
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #3218
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Currently reading...What to read while waiting for Skin Game's release!

Several months ago I downloaded a fan-fic freebie called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky! Quite a mouthful isn't ir?

Anyway, when I found that it was an 'IN PROGRESS work' and already was at more than 1300 pages, I decided not to even begin reading it.

Then recently I read some discussion concerning it and got interested enough to download it again! I began reading it on my desktop computer and got so involved in the story that I put it on my Kindle for sake of convenience.
Quote:
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is an IN PROGRESS work of alternate-universe Harry Potter fan-fiction wherein Petunia Evans has married an Oxford biochemistry professor and young genius Harry grows up fascinated by science and science fiction. When he finds out that he is a wizard, he tries to apply scientific principles to his study of magic, with sometimes surprising results.
One of the first things you read in it is this:

'This fic is widely considered to have really hit its stride starting at around Chapter 5. If you still don't like it after Chapter 10, give up.'

I found it entertaining and interesting from the very start and I'm about to begin Chapter 9. I'm enjoying it a lot, so no worries about giving up for me.

Give it a look-see.

An additional comment: Just finished chapter 10, and it blew my mind!

Last edited by alansplace; 01-28-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #3219
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

..............................Name:  Jim29.PNG
Views: 224
Size:  35.9 KB
“Anger is just anger. It isn't good. It isn't bad. It just is.
What you do with it is what matters. It's like anything else.
You can use it to build or to destroy. You just have to make
the choice."

Constructive anger," the demon said, her voice dripping sarcasm.

Also known as passion," I said quietly. "Passion has over-
thrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has
brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created
freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped
souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build some-
thing better, stronger, more beautiful.”
― Jim Butcher, White Night

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #3220
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: miscount
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #3221
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: miscount
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #3222
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm stuck on what to read next. I can't decide between 2 series. The Alex Verus novels (since I keep seeing it mentioned here ) or the Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia. Both look really good.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #3223
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I'm stuck on what to read next. I can't decide between 2 series. The Alex Verus novels (since I keep seeing it mentioned here ) or the Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia. Both look really good.
I've heard the MHI series is good too. It sounds more action-packed with a greater horror component than Alex Verus, which I would classify as slightly less dark than Dresden (not that Dresden is overly dark). So I would say if you are in a mood for darker, then choose MHI, lighter, choose Alex Verus. Or you could alternate between the two
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #3224
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Alan - I need your help Please...

Alan, would you please tell me where each of the Bigfoot stories fit in, chronologically, so that i can add them to "the list". I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #3225
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I've heard the MHI series is good too. It sounds more action-packed with a greater horror component than Alex Verus, which I would classify as slightly less dark than Dresden (not that Dresden is overly dark). So I would say if you are in a mood for darker, then choose MHI, lighter, choose Alex Verus. Or you could alternate between the two
Hmmmm I think I need something dark and action-packed this time
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy