Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lightbulb "drmfree" tag introduced at Amazon

TeleRead reports on a campaign to spread the "drmfree" tag in Amazon.com's Kindle store.

Quote:
Both Steve (Windwalker) and I (David Rothman) urge other writers to tag their DRMless e-books the same way, in the wake of his TeleRead post calling for this. Then they’ll show up when people type drmfree into Amazon’s tag search engine. Tagging is easy, and you can do it in a flash.
The point is simple: Let consumers see what is DRM-encumbered, and what is DRM-free in the Kindle strore, and vote with their wallets. Their hope is that eventually, Amazon will get the message and dump DRM from the Kindle store altogether, or at least wherever possible.

They also advocate independent sellers using the tag. I've already added it to my website's keywords, since all of my novels are sold DRM-free. I encourage any othr authors of DRM-free material (and sites like MobileRead) to do the same where applicable.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Add a Tag to DRM-Free Kindle ebooks for a thread on the earlier teleread article, which suggested drm-free. I think drmfree is ok, we just all need to use the same tag.

I have a python script, kindledrm.py, which can identify DRM-free AZW ebooks, see Kindle Books From Amazon Without DRM. This really needs to be a self contained GUI program to get widest use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Add a Tag to DRM-Free Kindle ebooks for a thread on the earlier teleread article, which suggested drm-free. I think drmfree is ok, we just all need to use the same tag.
True, picking one or the other would be a good idea. I've already used "drmfree" based on today's TR article, but my tags can be changed with a find-and-replace run... or, for that matter, I can add "drm-free" using the same tool. I'm good either way, and until a consensus is reached, may go ahead and add the variation.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Again, tags can't be removed. So there's no way to fix a book if it's tagged incorrectly, or if DRM is added to a later version. This is not a solution on which consumers can rely.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
If DRM is added to a later version, tag it with "drm-added" and possibly the date.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Again, tags can't be removed. So there's no way to fix a book if it's tagged incorrectly, or if DRM is added to a later version. This is not a solution on which consumers can rely.
That is a bit of a problem! But I will certainly be using DRM tag as a way to browse books. I only buy something DRMed if it is a 'must have' kind of book.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Eventually... hopefully... it can become a label attached at the pricing or sale point, so consumers will see the tag (or lack thereof) when they are about to buy, as in:

Cost: $2.50
drmfree

I have added that to my sale pages, even though it is a bit redundant in my case, just so customers can see it.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-13-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It might be an experiment to offer the same book with and without DRM and see if there is any difference in sales.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Now all you need is a "Topaz" tag.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Bellevuewalker44
Bellevuewalker44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Please be patient with a complete novice!

Hi all! Nashville, TN checking in here! I JUST received a Kindle 2 from my beloved husband for our 27th Anniversary, and I could not be more excited. But I am a COMPLETE novice, not only with the Kindle, but also with most things "technology". Would someone be kind enough to explain to me what "DRM" is, and why I would try to locate E-books without it? I also want to tell you all how much I appreciate the threads on where to locate free books, as well as where you can borrow them from libraries. One of my original reasons for wanting a Kindle is that I love reading and writing, and I wanted to be able to support the authors through book sales. I INTEND TO PURCHASE MANY VOLUMES through both Amazon and other outlets, but if I can also add to my library through these free or loan services, I can afford more titles.

Thank you for all your help and good wishes and info,
Lori
Bellevuewalker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hi Lori, and welcome to mobileread !

DRM means "digital rights management" or "digital restriction management" depending on who you ask. it is basically a sort of "lock" on digital media (mp3s, ebooks, etc.) which will limit the ways in which you can access the media. for instance, drm can be used to "lock" an ebook to a specific device, which means if you get a new device, you won't be able to read the books you already have. for a more complete article, please take a look at our wiki : DRM. although editors claim that drm is used to prevent illicit copying of files, most people dislike drm because it ends up restricting "fair use" more than anything else, locking customers out of access to media they have legitimately purchased (a kindle owner cannot read their kindle books on a sony device, for example, unless they remove the drm). i hope that makes it a little more clear to you ; don't hesitate to ask if you still have questions. and take a look around the forums as well for many other discussions about drm and other aspects of ebooks. happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
stannyc
stannyc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This appears to be an education process for the public. Apple was roundly criticized for its DRM approach to music. Amazon, not so much. True, the audience is relatively small now, but it can only grow. The issue should be addressed now.
stannyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er
frikk began at the beginning.

Device: sony rs-505
hey guys.

i understand the drm fight - and i am against drm in general. i am wondering though - what do drm-free ebooks on amazon give us? Does it just mean i can put it on more than one kindle? or can I put it on a sony reader? I am probably going to buy a prs-505, but i am not experienced with the issues and formats yet.

bottom line: can i buy a drm-free ebook from amazon and put it on my sony prs-505? that would be awesome. (with or without conversions?)
frikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
bottom line: can i buy a drm-free ebook from amazon and put it on my sony prs-505? that would be awesome. (with or without conversions?)
You'll still need a Kindle to purchase Kindle books. The file will be in a MobiPocket format, so to read it on the Sony you will need to do a conversion to one of the formats Sony reads (LRF, BBeB, ePub, TXT, RTF, PDF, MS Word).
Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
But without DRM you can do the conversion. And you can use them directly in other devices that support mobipocket, like the Cybook, or in desktop apps.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon kindle, drm, drmfree, tags