Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm not a boy myself so obviously i'm probably only going to add water to your mill by saying this, but a lot of the boys i knew when i was that age were pretty silly ineffectual and immature...

in fact, a lot of the "boys" i know *now* are still pretty immature ! (not all of them, luckily !!!)
I'm near 38, and I'm still pretty silly, ineffectual and immature (and still scared of girls ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I'm near 38, and I'm still pretty silly, ineffectual and immature (and still scared of girls ).

Cheers,
Marc
so you see my point then
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so you see my point then
Don't talk to me! You'll give me girl germs!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #19
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Well the fuzz they make about this one book seems to exceed the lost Aristoteles in the name of the rose..

So a woman wrote a book, about fantasy, to make her more interesting so sells only 1 copy. Oh my, how about offering it as an e-book for a few dollars instead?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Well the fuzz they make about this one book seems to exceed the lost Aristoteles in the name of the rose..

So a woman wrote a book, about fantasy, to make her more interesting so sells only 1 copy. Oh my, how about offering it as an e-book for a few dollars instead?
Sooner or later it will be on the darknet
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
To be more correct, she wrote and illustrated a book by hand, and then auctioned it off to raise a lot of money for a very worthwhile charity. I certainly have no problems with that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, touching on several points:
  • I found the portrayal of Harry's mentality, particularly in books 5, 6 & 7 to be almost painfully accurate considered against my recollections of my own teenage years.
  • Young boys are silly, immature and ineffectual. And they do benefit greatly from guidance ... though they rarely enjoy it. Some do grow out of it, I've stabilized at ~13 myself, with fluctuations of about +- 2 years.
  • "Girl germs" are properly known as "cooties"
  • If a story doesn't engage a person's interest, it doesn't really matter how well it is or isn't written, nor how good the story is or isn't. There are a large number of extremely well written stories with great plots that I have absolutely zero interest in. Those I've read that fit that description were pure torture to get through (well, mostly through ). That isn't so much a comment on the books, as it is a comment on my own interests and personality.
Well, that's my 2¢.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I enjoyed the series, it wasn't the best I've ever read but it was quick and an easy escapist read. My 14yo son has some fairly serious learning disabilities and he's now reading his way through the series. It's taken him a good five years to develop his reading skills to the point where he can read them without too much trouble. If he hadn't seen the movies first he would've never been all that interested in reading the series.

Another series that seems to go over well with pre-adolescent and teenage girls is the "Sisters Grimm". Interestingly, the series is written by a man. My 10yo daughter loves these books and I have the sixth on preorder for her at Amazon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think there's potentially a lot of value in cross-gender authorships (a man writing female characters and a woman writing male characters) when the author in question isn't just a complete goober about it, and actually puts some thought, research and analysis into it.

For one thing, a male character written by a female author gives me, as a male, some insight as to how women view the male animal. I assume that the opposite would be true, because I can't really test that directly.

For another, I think there's something of a barrier in any person's own self-perceptions, things we accept as true and unyielding but never actually think about. It's part of being human: we can't think about everything without going bughouse nuts, so there are many things we just don't think about, and some of those we really should think about. When a woman takes a serious, sensitive, considered look at a male character, with the aim of giving that character a fair and honest portrayal, I think she will often times bring out those sorts of unconsidered assumptions into the light where they can be looked at freshly. Again, I assume that this is likely the case for the reverse circumstance. That sort of examination can be very good for those who want to understand themselves better.

Case in point, when I was reading Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix I was very bothered by Harry's seething, unthinking anger, and the stupid, self-destructive ways he dealt with others because of his anger. I finally spent some thought on why it bothered me so much, and realized that it was because it was so very like the anger I felt myself at that age, and that I could see how, out of that anger, he was doing things that he would regret later. Added to that, from the perspective of having lived through those years myself (and quite a few more besides), I also could see just how trivial many of the things he was angry about really were, while at the same time remembering all too clearly how vital they would feel from the inside.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Case in point, when I was reading Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix I was very bothered by Harry's seething, unthinking anger, and the stupid, self-destructive ways he dealt with others because of his anger. I finally spent some thought on why it bothered me so much, and realized that it was because it was so very like the anger I felt myself at that age, and that I could see how, out of that anger, he was doing things that he would regret later.
The old "raging hormones" stage, when most teenage boys revert to Neandertals for a couple of years, lose the power of speech, and only communicate with grunts and facial expressions. Happened to most of us .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be more correct, she wrote and illustrated a book by hand, and then auctioned it off to raise a lot of money for a very worthwhile charity. I certainly have no problems with that.
To be even more correct, she hand-wrote and illustrated seven copies of a book, six of which went to friends who had particularly helped her while she was writing the series. The seventh copy was auctioned for charity. I see no problem with any of this.

But I'd be interested in reading the stories.

Quote:
Okay, touching on several points:
I found the portrayal of Harry's mentality, particularly in books 5, 6 & 7 to be almost painfully accurate considered against my recollections of my own teenage years.
I agree. Books 4 and 5 were hard for me to read because of this.

Not everyone needs to like these books, obviously, but I always find it strange how many people feel the need to attack them. If they're not to your taste, why not move on to something else you do like? If you read them and have a particular critical point to make that you think might help others understand or appreciate them more, I can see it, but sometimes the reactions I see seem to be... well... rather petty.

From my own point of view, there are books I've read that I thought were much better written, but I thought these were good, and the characterizations particularly strong. In addition, I enjoyed being part of an online community that discussed (and dissected) the books. Usually when I read books I can discuss them with one or two friends with similar tastes, and that's it. So many people read these, that there was never a shortage of people to discuss them with. There haven't been too many other things I've been involved in that have been so widespread. Perhaps that was part of the appeal for many of us introverted loners.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Don't talk to me! You'll give me girl germs!

Cheers,
Marc
They have Girl germs down under too eh? Have you had an outbreak of cooties too?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They have Girl germs down under too eh? Have you had an outbreak of cooties too?

BOb
you know, i looked on the wikipedia page, it says you can get vaccinated for that. you should look into it. i'm pretty sure once you get it it's incurable.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

"Circle circle, dot dot. Now you've had your cootie shot."

Works every time.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
"Circle circle, dot dot. Now you've had your cootie shot."

Works every time.
Wow, my rash is clearing up already!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, beedle the bard, contest