Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hey guys! they now make transparent duct tape!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Harrumph. Everyone knows that's meant for fixing glass.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #18
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
A little late, but as promised, here's a pic of the signature. I think barring some cool digital signature method, this is the way to go.

But while thinking about those digital signatures, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want one. It would technically be very cool, but the reason I wait in line for a signature at a book store is the rarity of it - once that signature could be applied to any book, and copied an infinite number of times, it ceases to have meaning. I'm not sure how to handle author signatures and ebooks. Perhaps the "signed copy" will be another accidental casualty of the era.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader signature.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2833  
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hey, you didn't say it was going to be Cory Doctorow! Hard to think of any author more appropriate to spawn this discussion.

Since you had him write your name, it's a lot more personal than somebody else's digital signature, and I think it still would be, even if he had done it with a digitizer. A usb "chop" wouldn't be so cool, though. And the generic "signed copy" with no name is likely to be a casualty in the ebook era, yes. Which is fine by me. It always boggles my mind that people will wait in line to meet an author but then don't want the signature "addressed" to them because it won't increase the "value" of the book as much.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Hey, you didn't say it was going to be Cory Doctorow! Hard to think of any author more appropriate to spawn this discussion.
Yeah, I figured if there were any author who wouldn't mind signing an ebook, it was him. :-)

It would be personal, no matter what... But the fact that I could then cut and paste his signature into all the Doctorow books I own plus, say, The Lord of the Rings seems to devalue the concept of the author signature. It's fallen prey to the lack of scarcity inherent in the digital world.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
A little late, but as promised, here's a pic of the signature. I think barring some cool digital signature method, this is the way to go.
That's a neat signature!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #22
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here is a link from a Canadian Website that has a recent interview with Mr. Doctorow.

http://www.citynews.ca/blogs/blogs_4...logs/7397.aspx
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle

But while thinking about those digital signatures, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want one. It would technically be very cool, but the reason I wait in line for a signature at a book store is the rarity of it - once that signature could be applied to any book, and copied an infinite number of times, it ceases to have meaning. I'm not sure how to handle author signatures and ebooks. Perhaps the "signed copy" will be another accidental casualty of the era.
Hey bingle! What will you do when you get to a book show and meet 50 authors? I guess that jacket will look like that picture we have in our minds of a well traveled suitcase. That would be cool!

I guess we'll have to train our authors to write smaller!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #24
bingle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Hey bingle! What will you do when you get to a book show and meet 50 authors? I guess that jacket will look like that picture we have in our minds of a well traveled suitcase. That would be cool!

I guess we'll have to train our authors to write smaller!
Well... I'm not too sure how many authors I'd have sign an ebook. Although their publishers might publish their books in electronic format, I don't know how many are passionate about it. Cory Doctorow, for some reason, seems like he would be enthusiastic about it. And he was! Although he had a negative outlook on the future prospects of dedicated reader devices...

I'd also like to get Eric Flint and Charles Stross to sign it... And Douglas Adams, if he were still around :-(

Last edited by bingle; 02-16-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The next best thing for Mr. Adams might be to add large, friendly letters to the cover....

I have the occasional person 'get' mine and laugh.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote