Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
"Insert Image" renames .jpg's incorrectly... but shows the correct image!

I'm compiling an .epub with a large number of images, named 001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc. I add them to the ebook using the "Insert Image" button in Sigil. Nearly 100 images in, I've noticed that Sigil has renamed the images!

For example, I have an image named "027.jpg". After I've added it to my .epub, it has been renamed to "028.jpg" in the "Images" folder inside the ePub file. In the corresponding .xhtml file, it links to the renamed file.

So, in the end, the correct image is displayed. However, it's throwing off my organizing! The example above is one of the earlier discrepancies. Later on, however, it gets worse, with the number off by several digits (079.jpg is now 086.jpg, etc.)

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

EDIT:

Okay, I think I understand why this happened. When inserting images, there were more than a few instances where no image showed up in the Book View, so I simply clicked "Insert Image" and added the same pic again. Apparently, even when the image doesn't appear in Book View, it has still been added to the "Images" folder. So Sigil renames the duplicate by simply adding "1" to it. When another image with the same name is added, Sigil adds "1" again. So, 027.jpg keeps its name the first time and gets renamed to 028.jpg when I add it again. When I add the real 028.jpg, it's renamed to 029.jpg, and so on and so forth...

Now to the annoying and grueling task of removing the duplicates, renaming the files and fixing the links... 75 times.

Last edited by megacoupe; 03-04-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: New Information
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Yes, I've had the exact same thing happen, though not on such a large scale. I feel your pain!

But I think you're exactly right about what is happening.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
...Apparently, even when the image doesn't appear in Book View, it has still been added to the "Images" folder. ...
I always have the Images folder open in Book Browser when adding images, or the Text folder when adding such components. That way I can see the name and address any issues before moving on to the next edit.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Yes, I've had the exact same thing happen, though not on such a large scale. I feel your pain!

But I think you're exactly right about what is happening.
Part of the problem may be that you all have used a purely numeric name, which make it hard do spot the renumbering until the pain is felt
ch001.jpg naming might make the sequence disturbance more obvious, quickly.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Wasn't it because when you add an image which name already exists it will change the name when adding?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert