Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
UrzaMightstone
UrzaMightstone began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket edge
Exclamation Help with Pocket edge and Manual Update

Hello everyone!

I am new here, but i did take the time to look around and i must say i am truly impressed by the amount of work here- both by developers and by members in general.

Still, while i followed the "sticky" newbie friendly thread to the letter, i am unable to update. I tried both SD and USB. I do rename the file as update.zip, and i do make sure that my pocket edge is deactivated when the usb is inserted. Aster following the sequence ( holding menu+rotate buttons) i slide the power button and i continue holding the buttons as instructed. i release after 15 seconds, but all i see after a while is a screen that is full of collored lines that slowly dissapear just to be replaced by the standrad booting sequence. Moreover, the update.zip in my usb or SD card simply vanish...i never encountered a similar behavior before...

Any help would be much appreciated. I will use another USB drive, but chances are it will fail as well.

The device is brand new....

Thanks in advance
UrzaMightstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Here is where I went wrong. Like you, I would follow the directions to a tee. However, it would never install. This is how I got mine to work. Start completely over and follow the directions as before. The only difference is when renaming the file, do not add the ext .zip as it is added automatically for you. Rename it update with nothing else added. If you add the extension you end up with a file named update.zip.zip and that aint gonna geddit. Let us know please how this works out.
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
Here is where I went wrong. Like you, I would follow the directions to a tee. However, it would never install. This is how I got mine to work. Start completely over and follow the directions as before. The only difference is when renaming the file, do not add the ext .zip as it is added automatically for you. Rename it update with nothing else added. If you add the extension you end up with a file named update.zip.zip and that aint gonna geddit. Let us know please how this works out.
That's possible, if the OP is on windows. Another option is to add the file to your USB, insert it when the device is still on and use the device storage to browse to your USB or SD and ensure it's renamed there.

Best of luck!
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
UrzaMightstone

Hello again,

Thank you for both your time and your replies fellow edge owners. However, i should have added that that i did try that: i only renamed the file on board of my device, to evade teh sual windows rename issue- i did my reading here before. Still, even if the file is properly renamed, and i do follow teh directions to teh word, all i get is a flashing USB drive, and moments later a normal reboot that ends in a cycle unless i restart the machine via a forced shutdown. The flashing screen that is filled with colored lines seems to be there just before teh new booting sequance is initiated, and it is gone soon after, taking with it the file on my usb. I take it that it was indeed accessing the file as it actually deletes it every time...as to why it would violate a security protocol and actually erase data from a sourse,,that i do not know.

I am truly puzzled- i have the device here, tried again via SD card only to see the same result. They should pull this from the market- the people here do an adequate job at customer support, while also offer development. Nonetheless, as it stands, this is a broken devise unless one is techy savvy enough and also blessed with luck to boot.

Thanks for your time, and any further insights or solutions would be much appreciated. Agin, good job on all your efforts here- you put companies to shame with your continous work on an otherwise dead-on-on-arrival item.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Have you tried to re-download the file from the links provided in the forum? There seem to be a lot of cases of the file getting corrupted during download.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
UrzaMightstone

Thank you for your time& reply,

I did download the update file in for different locations, and used all 4 of them last night- a corrupted image came to mind when i observed this weird behavior. Still, no luck. Will try one last time now, with a fresh download, and abrand new USB stick.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may want to take the time to plug the USB drive into your PC and double check the properties to make sure it's formatted to the FAT format before using it.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
UrzaMightstone

Thanks for your reply,

I double checked, and indeed teh USB is under teh FAT32 format already. I formated again, loaded the file , followed ALL the directions to teh letter- FAILURE. The exact same bahvior- flashing mulilined screen, reboot and this time no cycle, it just booted the default software. I am losing steam here...i realize that this device has more capabilities than its current software allows for, but at the same time, 10+ tries since last night with an equal number of failures...

I wish a workaround that forced teh image into this damn device was available. I recall another tablet, that had a software for it that performed pc-to android update....of course, without Entourage anywhere near by, we can never get such a program. It is a pitty really- so much potential wasted.

Hopefully, someone here will know of a viable solution...as i see, there are others who face difficulties as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Edward_R
Zealot

Which version are you trying to update from?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
UrzaMightstone

Hello again, and thank you for your reply

The version is the "stock" version, whatever comes pre-installed on the pocket edge- i think 1.6 something.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Edward_R
Zealot

If you go into settings/about edge you can see exactly what version you are running. Mine did not come new with 1.6 it had to be updated to 1.6 before it could be updated to 2.2.1
Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
UrzaMightstone

Hello agian, thank you for your reply

Details: firmware 1.6
build number 1.8
kernel 2.6.29

Hope these help someone here to figure out what's the problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Edward_R
Zealot

Next question is which update file are you using?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
UrzaMightstone

Hello agin,

Teh file is the one listed under the "newbie" thread on one of the stickies. If there is another file, i would try that one too.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Edward_R
Zealot

if you're referring to this thread: Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners there are a few posts with downloads for the Pocket Edge update. If you're having problems with one not working try a different one. Several people have had to try the updates over and over, there doesn't seem to be just one reason for it failing.