Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #61
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I don't take it back.

Lee
hehehe....

Anyway.... may I take a moment to list MY three current iPad complaints?
OK, here goes....
1. I still do not have my iPad ie. not available in Japan yet!!!!!!
2. same as above
3. same as above
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #62
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
- You knew about the lack of Flash support up-front --- complain to the people who're providing the video using a proprietary wrapper, or look for sites which don't do such
This is like 5 pages of people arguing about whether a guy is allowed to not like the fact that his iPad doesn't have Flash.

I knew mine wasn't gonna have Flash months before it hit the market... still bought it... still wish it had Flash. What's the big deal?

*edit* If I had to pick a "main frustration" I would have to say it is that the iPad app explosion that I thought was going to happen just after the device was released just basically didn't. Not really a frustration, but a bit of a disappointment. Maybe they will start rolling out a few days after the 3G model.

Last edited by Drybonz; 04-30-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #63
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
My worst frustrations with the iPad:

1. Not available in Australia yet
2. Even when it finally comes out, I'm going to wait until v2

I can wait. Really. I'm capable of patience.

<drums fingers>

Back to the original topic, I have no problem with a lack of Flash or Java. I hate them both impartially. (See? No partisanship. )

I will definitely use the iPad for reading, especially with the stand, as I am unable to hold books. I'd love to see reading all sorts of text (books, newspapers, magazines, reports, graphic art etc.) as an integrated experience. I think the iPad has great potential for making reading/listening/viewing material much more accessible and less compartmentalized.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #64
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
*edit* If I had to pick a "main frustration" I would have to say it is that the iPad app explosion that I thought was going to happen just after the device was released just basically didn't. Not really a frustration, but a bit of a disappointment. Maybe they will start rolling out a few days after the 3G model.
Yeah that surprised me as well. There hasn't been anything added that caught my eye that wasn't there at launch or shortly there after.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #65
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
This is like 5 pages of people arguing about whether a guy is allowed to not like the fact that his iPad doesn't have Flash.

I knew mine wasn't gonna have Flash months before it hit the market... still bought it... still wish it had Flash. What's the big deal?
Looks like the FTC may not be to thrilled about it either.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/a...-restrictions/
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #66
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I have a feeling the "anti-trust" troubles are just going to blow away in the wind. The iPhone development platform may be a closed or restricted platform, but on the other hand the iPhone does not control a monopoly in the Cell phone market space. Developers and consumers can simply use something else.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #67
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I have a feeling the "anti-trust" troubles are just going to blow away in the wind. The iPhone development platform may be a closed or restricted platform, but on the other hand the iPhone does not control a monopoly in the Cell phone market space. Developers and consumers can simply use something else.
I hope that it doesn't. I think it's ridiculous that iP* devices no longer allows byte code from other languages.

I always thought the iP* devices would eventually kowtow the market line, and that this was just a temporary measure to keep the platform initially consistent, but after Steve's rant, I'm not so sure. It would be a shame if the platform stays completely closed. I can't even imagine what the world would be like if you could ONLY program for Windows using Microsoft tools, and if you could only add applications to Windows that Microsoft allowed.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #68
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
It's one thing to "hear" that ipad can't do flash and it's another to experience the web without "flash".
I'm sure in the coming months many sites will try to figure out how to be IPAD compatible.
I guess it depends how easy it is for these sites to convert.
It's not easy for web sites to change the software. I'm sure they don't care about ipad fan boys troubles.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #69
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

IANAL but monopoly law deals with selling of products and services, not what tool chain you can use to develop on a hardware platform. Since Apple doesn't have the majority share of the cell phone market (or the mp3 player market, or the tablet market) the competition really has no grounds to complain. After all, isn't Adobe bragging about how many other mobile platforms are going to be able to run Flash just fine? That very statement in itself is going to sink their argument. Apple may control the development languages allowed for products in their store, but their store isn't the only game in town.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #70
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I unfortunately don't see the antitrust suits going anywhere.

For a somewhat loosely related examples, video game consoles have been closed for ages, most require specific development kits to program and test the games one's making etc.

Those of us wanting more open systems, app stores etc. can do little but hope someone steps up with an Android, WebOS, windows etc. tablet that can add that while matching the many, many things the iPad gets right.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #71
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
It's not easy for web sites to change the software. I'm sure they don't care about ipad fan boys troubles.
really? web sites are constantly in re-development. how many sites that you browse today look exactly as they did 1 year ago let alone 5 years ago? so www.something.com plans in their next iteration to go to HTML5, CCS, h.264 and ditch flash. they're going to have to sooner or later, else we'd all still be viewing gopher sites.

the big question is, do you want to change your site now vs. later, after your competition already has?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #72
dmaul1114
Wizard

I'd say the majority of sites I visit look 100% the same as a year ago--of course about all I visit are forums and some news sites.

Only one's I can think of that have changed is maybe ESPN (may have been a year ago) and CNN (changed for the worse, don't visit there as much anymore).

But in any case, that's the issue for the sites. All I care about when buying a web surfing device is whether the sites I currently visit will currently display properly on it. Not whether they'll display properly on it down the road when sites change.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #73
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Gamespot has been the same for years, same for gamefaqs, and others.

Gametrailers same difference. Then I am talking about gaiming sites, but yeah I don't see sites changing every year. Maybe every 2 or 3 years. Even that is kind of stretching it in most cases.

Also I have a question as I still haven't gotten to the store to check one out, I saw in the flash thread someones rebuttal to the no flash were how the iPhone displayed flash websites on it's browser. Please do not tell me the iPad only runs mobile sites? I was expecting full webpages, but then again this was before the iPad was out the person showed that example.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #74
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I'm very happy with my iPad. The only frustration I have is that when I'm on the road it can be hard to find free wifi. If I really travelled much I'd want the 3G.

But I have a frustration that is caused by the iPad, which is that I don't have a kindle. Between the kindle app & instapaper's kindle friendliness it would be nice to have a kindle for commuting. The iPad is really not a good commuting device.

OTOH the iPhone/iPad combo has ruined me for non-touch interfaces. I'm not sure I can tolerate them any more. So I'll just have to wait & hope that the next kindle has a touch screen.

I'll bet Apple is losing lots of book sales for lack of an iPhone iBook app.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #75
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast
Taesoo Kwon doesn't litterTaesoo Kwon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Actually Apple expects the internet to change and adopt what are published standards, HMTL 5, CSS, h.264, where Flash is a proprietary program from Adobe.
In the past, PDF and some of HTML5 tags were proprietary (from Adobe and apple, respectively). HTML5 can not completely replace SWF because it doesn't support scene graphs and many others. Also, Apple is biased in that Apple banned Flash-based native apps for some reasons. So it is arguable that Apple is doing the right thing. Personally, I think that a clean subset of SWF file format should become a stardard. SWF is already open in some sense and there exist open-source players for it. I hope Adobe's decision.

Last edited by Taesoo Kwon; 05-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Taesoo Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote