Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Sony PSP with BookR

Hi,
is anybody else using Sony PSP as an e-book reader ?
I find it very nice, even if I need to create PDF with the right width to have them displayed with a good character size.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Hi,
I find it very nice, even if I need to create PDF with the right width to have them displayed with a good character size.
Yepp, I sued BookR on my PSP before I got my BeBook, worked fine, only thing I had problem with was the fact that the battery was drained pretty fast. Read for about an hour during my comute to work and when I got into work, I had to charge the PSP all day on USB, then I could read another hour going home. And if I forgot to charge the PSPS, well, tough luck

Never tried PDF's on it though.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Did you win?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Did you win?
So, I misspelled used... sue me!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Yepp, I sued BookR on my PSP before I got my BeBook, worked fine, only thing I had problem with was the fact that the battery was drained pretty fast. Read for about an hour during my comute to work and when I got into work, I had to charge the PSP all day on USB, then I could read another hour going home. And if I forgot to charge the PSPS, well, tough luck

Never tried PDF's on it though.
Well, it works with simpe pdf. When I tried some big ones with pictures, BookR crashed.
But my battery seems to last 2-3 hours.
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
So, I misspelled used... sue me!
Couldn't help myself
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
khayman
khayman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PlayStation Portable
I use it, must have read over 100 books with it; although I`m getting an Eee PC soon and that will become my main eBook reader.

Some tips:
Using a CPU/Bus Speed of 10/5MHz and a Menu Speed of 222/111MHz (can be set in Bookr`s options), I found that I have around 6-7 hours of battery time with it, although I used to have more (old battery). Bind both left+right arrow and left+right triggers for previous/next page, this way you can flip pages easily no matter which hand you`re holding your PSP with.

Set it to a black background, cream/light brown colored text, use Arial as font and use the lowest brightness level, that way it`s good for reading in the dark. I have personally found that a font size of 16 and a line height of 110 are optimal for me, but obviously everyone should experiment and see what`s better.

More recent versions of bookr can be found here, the 3.71 one works for PSP Slim as well. This version also supports DJVU, but I can`t vouch for that, I only use it for txt files; plus it swaps X and O, which I honestly like a lot. It also has a Plain text - Wrap CRs option, but I haven`t really experimented with this, I usually remove linebreaks with MS Word.
khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Wordcrasher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khayman View Post
Some tips:
Using a CPU/Bus Speed of 10/5MHz and a Menu Speed of 222/111MHz (can be set in Bookr`s options), I found that I have around 6-7 hours of battery time with it, although I used to have more (old battery). Bind both left+right arrow and left+right triggers for previous/next page, this way you can flip pages easily no matter which hand you`re holding your PSP with.

Set it to a black background, cream/light brown colored text, use Arial as font and use the lowest brightness level, that way it`s good for reading in the dark. I have personally found that a font size of 16 and a line height of 110 are optimal for me, but obviously everyone should experiment and see what`s better.

More recent versions of bookr can be found here, the 3.71 one works for PSP Slim as well. This version also supports DJVU, but I can`t vouch for that, I only use it for txt files; plus it swaps X and O, which I honestly like a lot. It also has a Plain text - Wrap CRs option, but I haven`t really experimented with this, I usually remove linebreaks with MS Word.
Ehi, thanks a lot for the tips !
I was using an old "O button" version without the MenuSpeed option.
The 3.71 is more comfortable.
I only used the standard BookR fonts, but I'm now starting experiment some alternative.
I'm using a black bgnd with grey text and it's great for reading in bed wihout disturbing my wife.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
khayman
khayman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PlayStation Portable
Indeed, it`s a great little program. Glad my tips helped.

I`ve tried tons and I personally found plain old Arial.ttf to work the best.
khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Hi,
I used to use it quite a bit, and changed it to better fit how I liked to read.
I found I preferred it in portrait orientation (using the triggers to change pages), with green text on black (for reading at night), adding an option to shrink the space between lines to get more on the screen, the wrap CRs option for Gutenberg or other hard-wrapped text files and the menu speed (otherwise the delay opening files was really annoying).

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
bookmark
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayman View Post
I use it, must have read over 100 books with it; although I`m getting an Eee PC soon and that will become my main eBook reader.

Some tips:

I did this for about 6 months. and it killed my Eyes after 15 minutes of Reading, I could Still read just fine, but i would have trouble focusing on distant objects. it was very disconcerting, and so i got my First Eink Device.

I also like the PSP for Reading.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote