Notices

Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
t.below
t.below began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre Start Up Problems

I have a similar problem - starting calibre I get this:
calibre, version 2.38.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 273, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 213, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 362, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tag_browser\ui.py", line 33, in init_tag_browser_mixin
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tag_browser\view.py", line 181, in set_database
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tag_browser\model.py", line 282, in set_database
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 587, in set_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 126, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 122, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 806, in execute
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 231, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Do you have a solution?
t.below is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
@t.below - welcome to Mobileread

I moved your post to its own thread. As a general rule for the calibre forum at least we prefer members create a new thread rather than post at the back of existing thread.

That error message indicates the database is probably corrupt is some way (see last line).

Was calibre working before?

Do you have a backup of your library ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #3
t.below

Yes, my calibre worked excellent before, so I've forgotten about backup, so it's old and useless. I've tried to repair in Win7's control panel, uninstall + install, and restore DB in library maintenance.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
t.below

This is how calibre looks like at start, the left panel is emty (here I tried to insert a screenshot, but I'm asked for the URL of image????)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates something on your computer is blocking calibre from accessing its db, most likely an antivirus program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.below View Post
This is how calibre looks like at start, the left panel is emty (here I tried to insert a screenshot, but I'm asked for the URL of image????)
@t.below - for future reference ==>> Mobileread - Posting Attachments and Images

There's a set of Guidelines and an extensive FAQ - the links are at the bottom of all MR pages

BR
Old 09-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
t.below

I'm running AVG Internet Security 2015 and have long time before encountering the problem with calibre. And the AVG announces when it thinks it detect threats asking for me to decide actions to take.
At the end of my librery I've got these 2 files:
metadata - a db file 29.300 KB
metadata_db_prefs_backup.json - 16 KB
is that as it should be?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, that is calibre's database.

If AVG is blocking it, tell AVG those files are safe.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
t.below

screenshot of calibre at start

I hope this works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre start.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	142143  
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
t.below

As I wrote - the AVG hasn't advertised any blockage of these or any other files.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well something is blocking calibre, if it is not avg then it is something else. If I were you I'd disable avg and reboot in safe mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.below View Post
As I wrote - the AVG hasn't advertised any blockage of these or any other files.
Sorry, but don't always count on that happening 100%. I have managed to clear the popup unwittingly. Timing is everything

Now back to your problem: Missing Tag Browser Content.

First, the confirmations: Open the Details pane (book icon): How does the content look?

Fine: I suspect you have managed to HIDE all the items in the Tag Browser.
(see image)
Right click in that pane: Show: <pick some>
Did that Help?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hide-show.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	142144  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Fine: I suspect you have managed to HIDE all the items in the Tag Browser.
(see image)
Right click in that pane: Show: <pick some>
Did that Help?
Simpler to Right click tag browser white space, and then select Show all categories

BR
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #14
t.below

Hi!
First I do appreciate your help - thank you!
Please excuse my ignorance - the Details pane (book icon): where is that?
When I right-click the empty left pane (the tag-browser?) nothing happens, no com.box appears.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #15
t.below

Is this the details pane?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre 2.png
Views:	135
Size:	605.9 KB
ID:	142169