Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #346
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
OK, I'm very new to mobi2mobi GUI, so forgive my ignorance . I had previously posted a query in the kindle forum, but the informed opinion is that what I'm asking is not possible, please find my query below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
Is there any way of displaying metadata on your kindle? I have books that I haven't read yet and sometimes you need a brief synopsis when deciding what book to read.

I realise that from the home screen when you have the book selected you can 'right click' on the 5 way pad to access additional data, is there any way of adding notes from your PC to the kindle that would appear under 'My Notes & Marks' for example?

I'm also aware that with books purchased from Amazon there is an additional heading; 'Book Description' which takes you to that particular book's page on the Amazon store, but I would prefer info that is stored locally.

I know that the metadata is usually held in a .opf file, is there any way of importing that into the kindle and if so where would you put it? And where would you access it from?

Cheers
Paul
I notice that there is a field within the GUI for 'description' where you would be able to put in a brief summary, but this does not seem to appear when the book is transferred to the kindle.

Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #347
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I notice that there is a field within the GUI for 'description' where you would be able to put in a brief summary, but this does not seem to appear when the book is transferred to the kindle.
Correct. That metadata simply isn't shown on the Kindle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #348
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Quote:
OK, I'm very new to mobi2mobi GUI, so forgive my ignorance . I had previously posted a query in the kindle forum, but the informed opinion is that what I'm asking is not possible, please find my query below:

Cheers
Paul
I'm a newbe also, but this is what I have discovered. If you are using Calibre you can convert the file mobi to mobi. There is an option to have the metadata inserted into the first page of the converted file.
I am not sure this works if DRM is still present. But I know if works if DRM is removed first. In fact I like having the description, reviews, tags etc as a part of the book for future reference. Its now my default option when converting formats.
Hal...
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #349
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyrinkle View Post
I'm a newbe also, but this is what I have discovered. If you are using Calibre you can convert the file mobi to mobi. There is an option to have the metadata inserted into the first page of the converted file.
Thanks Hal, It looks as though this is going to be the best option, I wasn't to keen on doing this initially as it may screw up the layout of the book, but so long as I can insert a separator before the first chapter it should be OK, that will be my next task!
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #350
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
A new request: if a book to be edited for metadata is an AZW (Kindle) file, could the output AZW checkbox be automatically checked? I usually want to keep the format the same when I do updates, but sometimes forget to update that checkbox and I end up with two versions - the original AZW and a new MOBI file. I'd prefer having the option to edit in place be automatic if possible.

Also - any way to to a mass scan for various values (list all the books with/without TTS enabled)?
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #351
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi Olaf, a new version is available to address the AZW tick issue. Please give it a spin.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #352
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Thank you Jad for all the work you have put into this project. It's forced me to dig back into my past programming experience and re-learn what I have long since forgotten back in the day. LOL. Getting old sucks!

Perhaps someone can answer this question. Can Amazon identify the original owner of one of their eBooks by the meta data fields? If so how do they do it? Just curious.
Hal...
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #353
Rickwood
Rickwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi Jad,
I have used the GUI for some time to change metadata, particularly Title and 404 TTS flag. I have purchased a couple of books recently that do not load properly and I get the Unhandled Exception error message. Only happens on a couple of new releases.

Any Ideas on this.
Thanks
Rickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #354
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

The most common problem is special characters in the name of the file. These aren't supported under DOS and cause the GUI to crash. Its also possible that some of the these are used in the Metadata fields as well which again would cause problems. What are the names of the files?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #355
Rickwood

The books are purchased from Amazon:

Life-Support.azw
Spider-Bones-A-Novel.azw

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #356
Jad
Groupie

The filenames seem to work fine. Must be something in the metadata that is causing it trip up. Can you dump out the metadata from one of the AZWs and I'll see if I can spot what the problem maybe. You will have to do this from a DOS prompt using mobi2mobi from the command line.

mobi2mobi.exe life-support.azw > metadump.txt
Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #357
Rickwood

Follows is the metadump.txt

Database Name:
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 491
Resdb:
AppInfoDirty:
ctime: -803268931 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
mtime: -803268931 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
baktime: -2082844800 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
---------------------------------------------------
FIRST IMG Record Id: 472
---------------------------------------------------
Image record index: 236 (482 x 625)
START IMAGE INDEX: 236
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 236
PDHEADER Version: 2
PDHEADER Length: 942543
PDHEADER NRecords: 231
PDHEADER Recsize: 4096
PDHEADER Unknown: 131072
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 1
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 242
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 232
MOBIHEADER booktype: 2 - BOOK
MOBIHEADER codep: 1252
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 1996562964
MOBIHEADER ver: 6
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 80
MOBIHEADER language: 9 - 9 - 0 - ENGLISH -
MOBIHEADER xtradata: 10 0x3130
COVEROFFSET: 5
THUMBOFFSET: 6
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 600
EXTH n_items: 25
EXTH item: 109 - Rights - 20 - All rights reserved.
EXTH item: 111 - Type - 4 - Text
EXTH item: 300 - 300 - 50 - 0x3000000000000008002000000000000000f4edecbe1a91e9 409440934099409c409d
EXTH item: 204 - 204 - 4 - 0x000c8
EXTH item: 205 - 205 - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 206 - 206 - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 207 - 207 - 4 - 0x00062
EXTH item: 201 - CoverOffset - 4 - 0x0005
EXTH item: 203 - hasFakeCover - 4 - 0x0000
EXTH item: 202 - ThumbOffset - 4 - 0x0006
EXTH item: 1 - drm_server_id - 9 - EBOOKBASE
EXTH item: 2 - drm_commerce_id - 11 - AMAZON_1110
EXTH item: 3 - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 6 - 324458
EXTH item: 100 - Author - 15 - Gerritsen, Tess
EXTH item: 113 - ASIN - 10 - B003UYUOTA
EXTH item: 208 - 208 - 191 - atv:kin:1:AnFoLR/OhVG8X5OyO4VXpqXo46f1u1vlxiNEgeOgyp38WWL4o8oKG9v/WjXvkfdUTeVxzX9iPtuoFGd1KWMzNv8+V/qwfQjw2Mc3HN79/0UrtBeVvHuu1irGFgJyq1VDJRFW3TeZVxWxwKRQiE437w==:dr ggMJT3oPKOrKO2JiRvIQRaPeg=
EXTH item: 209 - 209 - 5 -  Ð
EXTH item: 401 - ClippingLimit - 1 - 0xa
EXTH item: 403 - 403 - 1 - 0x0
EXTH item: 503 - UpdatedTitle - 12 - Life Support
EXTH item: 101 - Publisher - 6 - Pocket
EXTH item: 106 - PublishingDate - 10 - 2010-07-20
EXTH item: 116 - StartReading - 4 - 1P
EXTH item: 404 - TTSFlag - 1 - 0x1
EXTH item: 501 - CDEContentType - 4 - EBOK
LONGTITLE: Life Support
LASTID: 490
-----------------
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #358
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm getting the same (or similar) error as Rickwood when trying to open most mobi's with Mobi2Mobi-Gui (v7 or v9) and Mobi2Mobi.exe (v.0.0.43) on Windows Vista.

Usually, it populates the the 'Opened File:' field, the 'Output file:' field, and the Cover image and Thumbnail windows before barfing with the Unhandled Exception error.

Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at WindowsApplication1.progbOpenFile.UpdateBookFields (String datapath, Boolean open)
at WindowsApplication1.progbOpenFile.btnOpenFile_Clic k(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4206 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.6
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.6
CodeBase: file:///C:/mobi2mobi-gui/Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VBLoRes.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4205 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-16-2011 at 10:58 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #359
Clintfrisco
Clintfrisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm having the same issue - just on 2 new books i purchased from amazon.
Clintfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #360
Budfudder
Enthusiast
Budfudder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Freezing up mobi2mobi :(

I've been using the GUI for some time quite happily. Then I tried to use it yesterday with a book I just bought from Amazon. It froze up. So, further experimenting - it would freeze up with books I had previously successfully edited using it. So I went to the command line version - and IT froze up (see attachment). Again, it froze up processing books that I'd successfully edited using it before.

Any suggestions? It appears my installation is now completely broken I'm using v0.09.

In case there's something wrong with mobi2mobi itself, where can I download it (not the GUI, but mobi2mobi.exe itself)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi2mobi.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	65245  
Budfudder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi