Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Scent of a Kitten

On the Sue Grafton thread, a couple of the comments touched on the importance of book covers. This morning I ran across this link on MetaFilter. I'm not sure I completely agree with all the points, but it's an interesting article none the less.

Scent of a kitten: the 20 irrefutable theories of book cover design - via:
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That's an interesting read, but yeah the fluffy kitten (or puppy) wins for me every time
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
20. Fluffy kitten theory

Nothing draws a reader to a book like a picture of a fluffy kitten.
Total crap. A fluffy kitty would be an excellent reason not to buy the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Thanks Jon. I knew you would add something to the discussion.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cover can sometimes be all that stands between the customer and the sale.
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I'm with the wolf. The very best way to ensure that I never, ever touch a book is to place a fluffy kitten on the cover. Babies also work very well in this respect, as does cute lambs, puppies and such.

Interesting article though and I'm sure the underlying theories are all valid. Just not universally so. The kitten is already ample proof of that.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There were only one or two covers there that appealed to me at all. I thought most of them were quite ugly, in fact. They may be graphically interesting--I might be intrigued if they were product advertisements in a magazine--but they didn't work for me as book covers.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Herrummph......

Don't forget there's a "toilet tissue" [bog roll?] line that daintily has a sweet adorable puppy embossed on each sheet.

A little strange, really, when you think of what dogs do when getting to know another pooch ................

Or perhaps there's something subliminal going on that has passed me by .....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If the cover is unappealing, the customer may not bother to give the book a second look. Smashwords is a good example of many books with really hideous covers.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I thought most of them were quite ugly, in fact. They may be graphically interesting--I might be intrigued if they were product advertisements in a magazine--but they didn't work for me as book covers.
Ditto.
More, I don't think *any* of the principles look too applicable to the genres.

Somehow, I can't see a cute kitten selling a murder mystery.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Ditto.

Maybe if the cute kitten is road kill.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Requiem
Enthusiast
Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Transformer
This was not what I thought this thread was when I opened it....

Moving on....
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Ditto.

Cute kittens are all over the cozy mysteries!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If I gave two hoots about cover-art and gave it more than a passing glance, I'd probably turn up my nose at kittens—and then go ahead and buy it if the book's premise had already attracted me. I'm defective like that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If I gave two hoots about cover-art and gave it more than a passing glance, I'd probably turn up my nose at kittens—and then go ahead and buy it if the book's premise had already attracted me. I'm defective like that.

Bet you'd skim a few pages.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote