Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #151
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create a simple one line script to lauch sigil that sets the env var and use that script in open with

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=whatever /whatever/Sigil
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #152
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Another thing to try is to use the "env" command:

env LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8 sigil

The LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8 thing is usually interpreted by your shell which wouldn't happen with Calibre. "env" is a program that sets environment variables and then executes the command after those environment variable settings.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #153
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Create a simple one line script to lauch sigil that sets the env var and use that script in open with

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=whatever /whatever/Sigil
That is similar to what I had done. I created a local copy of sigil desktop and changed
Exec=sigil to Exec=bash -c "LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8 sigil" which works OK to start Sigil but of course not with open with in Calibre.
I tried your script and and can use it to start Sigil inside and outside Calibre the only problem is that starting it via open with opens an empty Sigil file not the one I need to edit.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #154
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=whatever /whatever/Sigil $@
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #155
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=whatever /whatever/Sigil $@
That gives the error message Cannot read file [path to authors first name]:
No such file or directory.
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #156
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
It needs to be quoted.

Try:

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=whatever /whatever/Sigil "$@"
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #157
weedfreak
Addict

Yes that was it thank you all.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #158
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.5.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • When switching libraries, ensure keyboard shortcuts are reactivated
  • Prevent Open With being used in Device View or on Device View context menu
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #159
french imp
french imp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Open with won't open Sigil

Hi,

Open with no longer works with Sigil, here's the error message I get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 178, in open_with
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 212, in launch_app
File "subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 855, in _execute_child
File "subprocess.py", line 615, in list2cmdline
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 0: unexpected end of data

Some time back I had a similar problem, and Kiwidude solved it (in less than no time!). But it no longer works. Apart from updating Calibre regularly I'm not aware of any significant change on my system (windows 7 64 bits, but running calibre 32 bits). I uninstalled and re-installed Open with to no avail.

The problem occurs even with English books (no strange characters involved I guess).

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been pointed out already (I didn't find it).
french imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #160
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@french imp - there is nothing I can think to do about it, its a choice between two evils. The problem is non UTF8 characters in your path (your library must include them somewhere in its path, even if you are using english books). The change I made in the past was to to change the way Open With works and use a different API call to launch the external process which could cope with non UTF8.

However in Sigil 0.6 user_none made changes to his build/release process which have upset subsets of both Mac *and* Windows users. The problem for Windows users is that using his release builds of Sigil it has a conflict with the C runtime dlls between what is used in Sigil and what is used by calibre. The only way I managed to hack this as a workaround was to hard-code a special exemption for sigil.exe inside this plugin to use the *old* way of launching Sigil, which solves this issue.

However as you have found, that reintroduces the problem some foreign language users have where the path contains non utf8 characters...
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #161
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if one could use a batch file; have that launched by the plugin, and then have that launch sigil?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #162
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if one could use a batch file; have that launched by the plugin, and then have that launch sigil?
You have to pass a parameter (the book path) to the batch.

Other than that, I don't see why a batch would not work as long as the path to the batch does not have the non UTF8 problem.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #163
french imp
french imp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thank you very much Kiwidude for the explanations. I understand that the problem is hard and you can't be blamed for the infamous user_none's mischief.

I have found an imperfect solution: I have moved my libraries to directories without uncouth characters. A lesser of two evils solution...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried the batch approach but failed to make it work. I can live with my libraries in the wrong place...

Cheers
french imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #164
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@kiwidude: Interesting. Why does the CRT mismatch affect sigil when launched using CreateProcess? Is Sigil trying to use the calibre dlls? And if so, why only with CreateProcess? Try setting the cwd to the sigil installation directory in your createprocess call.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #165
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@kovid - user_none wasn't able to figure out quite "why" it was going wrong. And yes the problem seems to be that for some unknown reason it does try to launch Sigil using the calibre dlls when using CreateProcess. Building Sigil on my own machine I never had the issue so it was specific to his build environment.

I tried setting the working directory using os.chdir(path) prior to the CreateProcess call but it makes no difference.

To add to the confusion, it seems it is only a problem with Sigil 0.6.0 (and the 0.5.9 betas that preceded it). As I just tried with Sigil 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 and they don't have the CRT conflict issue. So obviously user_none must have tweaked his build environment at some point since then and unknowingly fixed it .

I am attaching a version of the Open With plugin that has my Sigil hack removed, which will work for any Sigil version *except* Sigil 0.6.0. So users wanting to launch Sigil with non UTF8 path characters have an option without renaming their books or moving their library.

Once Sigil 0.6.3 gets released I will officially release this version of the plugin, there should be no excuses not to upgrade Sigil when that comes out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Open With.zip (177.3 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by kiwidude; 12-10-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Tags
conversion, kepubify