Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
For when chess in the kindle?

For when chess in the kindle?

hardware allows this game to a decent level equal to or better than the last phone, but with better screen and without eyestrain

from playing a game, to solve problems, books, and play popular games ...

who knows, could go online to the championship standard and follow the games ...

If I buy a chess game for the Kindle ... 1,2,3 and DX ...

strategic greetings/regards since spain.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
KRorschachZ
Update

see that:

http://www.kindle-apps.net/2010/02/kindle-chess/

Quote:
Kindle Chess is very likely to be among the first released apps. There are many ways to implement this game on Kindle platform.

The game will likely take advantage of Kindle’s free 3G Internet connectivity since onboard CPU isn’t doesn’t have enough computing power to challenge anyone except for very novice players. Experienced players will have to test their skill against server somewhere on the web or against their home PC that can use 100% of its computing power and memory to challenge the human player.

Another scenario would be human vs. human play. Kindle owners would be able to engage in either fast paced blitz tournament style games or take it easy and enjoy slow play-by-mail type matches at one turn a day or even a week. Since chess is social and highly competitive game I wouldn’t be surprised if some Kindle Chess application would also have social networking features.

If I were the owner of one of the online chess websites or existing PC chess games I would start working hard on creating a Kindle version and add value to the whole services by making it available on Kindle.

Implementing chess on Kindle isn’t likely to present a major ergonomic challenge since 64 squares on the board can easily be navigated with 5-way controller or player can just type their moves on the keyboard (e2e4)
or with te jostick 5p...
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, if they make it and it is free or a one-time pay; I'd probably buy it. For me, it doesn't have to be that strong, 1400 would be plenty.

In the meantime, I have a couple of very good chess apps on my iPod Touch. (which also makes a good reader)
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Well, if they make it and it is free or a one-time pay; I'd probably buy it. For me, it doesn't have to be that strong, 1400 would be plenty.

In the meantime, I have a couple of very good chess apps on my iPod Touch. (which also makes a good reader)
yes, I too.

I have a old palm with chesstiger 15. level 2200 FIDE, and run perfect for me, see games, play and problems..

this only have 32 Mhz cpu and 8 Mb ram, ... Kindle have 600 Mhz cpu and 128-256 RAM + HDD 4 GB...

I think that is posible do a good aplication chess for kindle.

bye since spain.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Even with a low-powered system like the Kindle a strong chess program should be easily possible. Chess programs have gotten SO strong that Chess Genius on my phone beats me most of the time on instant move.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Anybody know if there is a self-contained (i.e. offline) Scrabble-type app for the Kindle, in other words one which does not require you to be online, where you can play against the device? A freebie would be even better!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
amwales
amwales began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Writing or porting applications like these are trivial. The problem you are seeing right now is not the developers but Amazon not providing them with Software Development Kits, I signed up a few months ago and have heard nothing from Amazon.

Last edited by amwales; 12-20-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
amwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amwales View Post
The problem you are seeing right now is not the developers but Amazon not providing them with Software Development Kits, I signed up a few months ago and have heard nothing from Amazon.
Welcome!

Yours is a real explanation for why the only third party Kindle apps sold by Amazon seem to be games. Do you know why they aren't trying to attract as many commercial developers as possible?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
Anybody know if there is a self-contained (i.e. offline) Scrabble-type app for the Kindle, in other words one which does not require you to be online, where you can play against the device? A freebie would be even better!
Scrabble for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/SCRABBLE/dp/B0...2907224&sr=1-1

I've used it a few times. It usually sells for twice this much. I think the sale at this price is for a week or two.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

I would love to code that

But it would probably need some research first:

- Opening library
- Chess IA, that even if it is not that complicated requires some tuning for being playable.
- Graphics that would look nice on the kindle 6" screen for a start then on DX.
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Scrabble for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/SCRABBLE/dp/B0...2907224&sr=1-1

I've used it a few times. It usually sells for twice this much. I think the sale at this price is for a week or two.
Nope you've been overtaken by events unfortunately; it's now listed as unavailable (at least when accessing Amazon from overseas). Any idea why that might be?

Anybody tried the Monopoly Amazon offers for the Kindle. Can sad users like me also play against the device, or does it have to be online? UPDATE: also listed as unavailable!

Last edited by terencek; 12-21-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Thanks for the Scrabble sale tip. Just snagged it!
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I just bought it as well!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhh View Post
But it would probably need some research first:

- Opening library
- Chess IA, that even if it is not that complicated requires some tuning for being playable.
- Graphics that would look nice on the kindle 6" screen for a start then on DX.
yes. that´s correct. but exits a lot of algorithm´s engines free for all plataform, win, max os, phones, linux, java... etc..

Such a program would be a sure blockbuster.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
terencek
Groupie

For anyone outside the USA following this thread, here's the bad news in an answer just sent to me with Amazon's legendary efficiency:

"I understand your concern and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Currently, Kindle active content is only available to customers located in the United States. We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle active content available in more locations in the future."

So: no Scrabble or Monopoly for non-US folks like me hoping for an electronic stocking filler!