Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Error communicating with device

Calibre has been working smoothly without a hitch, until now ...
Now it gets device information, but fails to get list of books on device.
Have tried reconnecting USB, repeatedly, but it still fails to get list of books.
Have upgraded from 0.7.29 to 0.7.31 but it still fails to get list of books.

Error details:
(30, 'Read-only file system')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 63, in run
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 305, in _books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 139, in books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 164, in books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 165, in sync_booklists
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs505/sony_cache.py", line 721, in write
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'

I haven't intentionally changed any files to read-only.
My OS is Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Addendum
Tried both the binary and source installs again.
Source install generated the following:

~
No package 'poppler' found
~

Used Synaptic Package Manager to install python-poppler and python-poppler-dbg

Re-ran sudo python setup.py install
this time I noticed something else:

~
No package 'MagickWand' found
~

Used Synaptic Package Manager to install libmagickwand-dev

Re-ran sudo python setup.py install
this time I noticed a number of sqlite_custom errors
still groping in the dark ...will try doing a complete uninstall, resinstall and reboot

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Edited for brevity
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
run fsck.vfat on your device, i.e. run a filesystem check
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
run fsck.vfat on your device, i.e. run a filesystem check
Thanks.

Using the Ubuntu GUI:

System > Administration > Disk Utility > Sony PRS-650
File system is clean

System > Administration > Disk Utility > Sony PRS-650 Launcher
The file system is NOT clean.

If I need to run fsck.vfat using the Terminal, then please let me have the appropriate syntax.

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

linux kernels mount filesystems as readonly when there are errors on them. Open a terminal and type

sudo dmesg

after plugging in your device to see why the filesystem is being mounted readonly
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
linux kernels mount filesystems as readonly when there are errors on them. Open a terminal and type

sudo dmesg

after plugging in your device to see why the filesystem is being mounted readonly
Removed output to reduce length of this thread.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-29-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you need to mount the device as well, either by having calibre running, or using whatever mounting facility your OS offers.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
you need to mount the device as well, either by having calibre running, or using whatever mounting facility your OS offers.
Output below is with both volumes (ie Sony PRS-650 & PRS-650 Launcher) mounted

# reduced output to shorten post #

~
[ 4045.280147] sd 3:0:0:3: [sdg] Write Protect is on
~
[4537.179506] sd 4:0:0:3: [sdg] Write Protect is on
~
[ 6346.604342] sd 5:0:0:3: [sdg] Write Protect is on
~

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
OK I see that now, but I haven't knowingly turned it on. What's more I don't know how to turn it off. There doesn't appear to be any option for doing so using the Disk Utility, at least not that's immediately obvious.

The Sony PRS-650 Launcher volume is /dev/sdg

I've also noticed these:
[ 4045.280147] sd 3:0:0:3: [sdg] Write Protect is on
[ 4537.179506] sd 4:0:0:3: [sdg] Write Protect is on
Do they need to be changed, as well?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run

fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdg
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Thank you for your help.

Sony PRS-650 Launcher
Device: /dev/sdg
Mount point: Mounted at /media/SETTING

rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdg
[sudo] password for rdh:
dosfsck 3.0.7, 24 Dec 2009, FAT32, LFN
open: Read-only file system

~

If, "Linux kernels mount filesystems as readonly when there are errors on them", then presumably the errors need to be corrected and to do this the filesystem first needs to be mounted as read and write.

I need to know how to change this volume's attribute and how to correct the errors.

I have looked at the Linux man page and tried to understand, but I still don't know what the correct syntax for lvchange is! Should I use the following?

lvchange -pr/w /dev/sdg

Here are some variations that I have tried, in attempt to get the syntax right:

rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo lvchange -pr/w /dev/sdg
Invalid argument r/w
Error during parsing of command line.
rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo lvchange -permission r/w /dev/sdg
Invalid argument ermission
rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo lvchange -p r/w /dev/sd
Invalid argument r/w
rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo lvchange -p w /dev/sd
Invalid argument w
rdh@rdh-desktop:~$ sudo lvchange -pw /dev/sd
Invalid argument w

~

I don't know what the correct syntax is! I need help.
Could someone knowledgeable of Linux help me, please?
Thanks in advance.

Addendum
I don't understand the purpose of the Sony PRS-650 Launcher volume.
Is the launcher volume common to all Sony PRS-650 readers?
My Sony PRS-650 seems to perfectly, so this problem only prevents me from using Calibre.
Was the Sony PRS-650 Launcher volume created when I installed Calibre?
Could someone who has a Sony PRS-650 and who has not used Calibre, tell me whether their reader has a launcher volume, please?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
I have Python 2.6
When I do a source install, after running
wget -O- http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/src | tar xvz
this is what I get, when I run sudo python setup.py install

rdh@rdh-desktop:~/calibre$ sudo python setup.py install
[sudo] password for rdh:
Dropping privileges to those of rdh: 1000

* Running build

####### Building extension sqlite_custom #######
gcc -O3 -Wall -DNDEBUG -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fPIC -pthread -I/usr/include/python2.6 -c /home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c -o /home/rdh/calibre/build/objects/sqlite_custom/sqlite_custom.o
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:2:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:7:24: error: sqlite3ext.h: No such file or directory
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:18: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'typedef'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:30: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c: In function 'sort_concat_free':
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:77: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'val'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c: In function 'sort_concat_cmp':
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:83: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'index'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:83: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'index'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c: In function 'sort_concat_do_finalize':
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:91: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'length'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:100: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'length'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:101: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memcpy'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:101: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:101: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'val'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:101: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'length'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:102: error: 'SortConcatItem' has no member named 'length'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c: At top level:
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:111: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:127: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:146: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:153: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:158: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'sqlite_custom_methods'
/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c:167: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'initsqlite_custom'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 99, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "setup.py", line 85, in main
command.run_all(opts)
File "/home/rdh/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 159, in run_all
self.run_cmd(self, opts)
File "/home/rdh/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 152, in run_cmd
self.run_cmd(scmd, opts)
File "/home/rdh/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 155, in run_cmd
cmd.run(opts)
File "/home/rdh/calibre/setup/extensions.py", line 276, in run
self.build(ext, dest)
File "/home/rdh/calibre/setup/extensions.py", line 317, in build
subprocess.check_call(cmd)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 498, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['gcc', '-O3', '-Wall', '-DNDEBUG', '-fno-strict-aliasing', '-pipe', '-fPIC', '-pthread', '-I/usr/include/python2.6', '-c', '/home/rdh/calibre/src/calibre/library/sqlite_custom.c', '-o', '/home/rdh/calibre/build/objects/sqlite_custom/sqlite_custom.o']' returned non-zero exit status 1

I don't understand why I keep getting these errors.
What am I doing wrong.
Could someone help me, please?
Thanks in advance.

Addendum
I have tried doing the following (ie in Ubuntu):
Places > select the drive, which is called READER
Right-click on each of the folders and files > Properties > Permissions
All attempts to change the attributes to read and write are ignored
Similarly, when I do the following:
File browser > /media > right-click on READER > Properties > Permissions
All attempts to change the attributes to read and write are ignored

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
The compilation errors are because of missing sqlite headers. But don't play with compilation of Calibre from sources, that won't solve your problem.

Your problem is probably either broken filesystem or write protection set. Have a look at the manual of your device:
http://docs.sony.com/release/PRS650.pdf
and search for protection and check that you have the protection off (the manual says that it should work device-only but who knows how they implemented it). If this is not the problem then you'll probably have to repair or reformat your filesystem (in any case, backup all contents of your device)
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
The compilation errors are because of missing sqlite headers. But don't play with compilation of Calibre from sources, that won't solve your problem.

Your problem is probably either broken filesystem or write protection set. Have a look at the manual of your device:
http://docs.sony.com/release/PRS650.pdf
and search for protection and check that you have the protection off (the manual says that it should work device-only but who knows how they implemented it). If this is not the problem then you'll probably have to repair or reformat your filesystem (in any case, backup all contents of your device)
Many thanks for your reply.

Calibre still reports the same, "Error communicating with device", with all books unprotected.

When you say, "repair ... your filesystem", how do I do that? What is the function of the launcher filesystem? Is it something that was created when Calibre was installed? If so, then why isn't it repaired when Calibre is reinstalled? If not, then why does the reader seem to function perfectly, despite not working with Calibre? Surely, the PRS-650 OS' wasn't designed to be used with Calibre.

I know how to reformat the filesystem. However, when you say, "backup all contents", how would I restore the data in the event of failure? Would copying folders and files back necessarily restore the reader back to its currently working state? I am concerned about the OS. Is it stored entirely as firmware in an EPROM?

With the greatest of respect, given that I see you are a Kindle 3 user, apropos of reformatting the filesystem on my Sony, is this something that you have actually done yourself, or have expert knowledge of, or are you just trying to help out here?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
On all Sony systems there is (as far as I know) an option to format the internal memory and/or any Plugin card. However this loses any books already downloaded onto the media o be formatted.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote