Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #166
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Any sign of the webkit port on the device
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #167
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Any sign of the webkit port on the device
I wonder if out of the box the device can open a html document or be tricked into opening one from an embedded link.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #168
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I think we also need to keep in mind that we on this board do not represent the typical consumer user. We might all keep hundreds of books ready to read and want flexibility with different sorting methods, however many if not most of the ereader users probably keep a handful of books. Even a couple of hundred are more than manageable with title, author and most recent sort options. I know a ton of people who are now getting ereaders and most of them only have a handful of books on the device and they think I'm nuts with having a few hundred.

Irex have stated numerous times that this device is targeted at the same market that Sony, Amazon and B&N are going after and we know how they currently view folders. A flat structure with a couple of different sort options and a search feature is probably more comparable to how people would store their paper books. I doubt few sort them by category.

I'm not defending irex's decision or promoting one approach over the other, just pointing out that we are probably not the typical mass market user and that a more complex, but flexible approach could actually be a negative to the mass market.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #169
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I think we also need to keep in mind that we on this board do not represent the typical consumer user. We might all keep hundreds of books ready to read and want flexibility with different sorting methods, however many if not most of the ereader users probably keep a handful of books. Even a couple of hundred are more than manageable with title, author and most recent sort options. I know a ton of people who are now getting ereaders and most of them only have a handful of books on the device and they think I'm nuts with having a few hundred.

Irex have stated numerous times that this device is targeted at the same market that Sony, Amazon and B&N are going after and we know how they currently view folders. A flat structure with a couple of different sort options and a search feature is probably more comparable to how people would store their paper books. I doubt few sort them by category.

I'm not defending irex's decision or promoting one approach over the other, just pointing out that we are probably not the typical mass market user and that a more complex, but flexible approach could actually be a negative to the mass market.
I agree. They've said to me before that one of their goals with the DR800 was to come up with a better/simpler UI and improve upon the DR1000's interface based on feedback they'd been getting.

This is probably one of those areas where a specific design may make sense for a high end user or the business market, but a simpler one would be a better idea for general consumers.

Would the "average Joe" want his books displayed in a hierarchical structure where he had to navigate through the sub-layers to find things, or would he want them all presented in a single sortable list? A power user would probably prefer the folder structure, an "average Joe" would probably prefer the sortable list. The iLiad and DR1000 were aimed at one market, this is aimed at another.

Personally, I've got a NAS RAID array on my home LAN that has my eBook archive on it. That's where I really want the hierarchical structure. I typically only keep eBooks I'm currently reading, or expect to read next, on my device at any one time. When I'm done reading I delete it from the device. I do store them in a hierarchical structure on the device too, but I don't keep enough eBooks on it where that would really be necessary. A sortable list would be fine with me.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #170
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have to admit as a developer sometimes we make stuff to complex and give users too many options. This also makes the software harder to maintain and enhance. Many times that gold plating that we do just confuses customers and makes support's job much harder.

Although, I think most people understand a hierarchical folder system....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #171
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I see folderless interfaces on the Kindle and iPod because those devices are designed for purchased items that are pre-tagged with the correct metadata. On the DR800S, with no ties to any storefront, it'll most be for user supplied documents that are likely not have all the needed metadata, if any, and most things will end up in one big heap.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #172
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I see folderless interfaces on the Kindle and iPod because those devices are designed for purchased items that are pre-tagged with the correct metadata. On the DR800S, with no ties to any storefront, it'll most be for user supplied documents that are likely not have all the needed metadata, if any, and most things will end up in one big heap.
Correct metadata? I just deleted about 1/3rd of my ePUB and PDF files from ADE. Legally purchased from various sources. Having "cool" author names like "some guy", "24/7", "company name" and things like that. About 1/3rd of my books (no matter what format - maybe with the exception of Microsoft lit which usually seems more carefully prepared) I have to strip from DRM and manually adjust metadata in calibre. Very often, I get worse quality in purchased books than in pirated ones.
That's one of the reasons why I like iLiad that much. I can change those flaws directly on the reader.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #173
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
And btw: Even without 3G or WiFi, iRex 800 in its settings is prepared for B&N PDBs (credit card nr. and user name for decryption), so you kind of have a link to a storefront.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #174
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Personally, I've got a NAS RAID array on my home LAN that has my eBook archive on it. That's where I really want the hierarchical structure. I typically only keep eBooks I'm currently reading, or expect to read next, on my device at any one time. When I'm done reading I delete it from the device. I do store them in a hierarchical structure on the device too, but I don't keep enough eBooks on it where that would really be necessary. A sortable list would be fine with me.
So even though you are fine with the "average Joe" user approach (no hierarchy), you organize your files on a "nas raid array" at home. Do you see a contradiction here?
Seriously, I was hoping for a semi-decent upgrade for the iLiad. Not a device with a flat folder structure and no annotation support forthcoming. And no, my iliad still works fine, but I'm not going to be recommending that device to anyone, given that there's no longer any support for it, nor very much by way of an active development community.
I've got at least 100 journal articles for 4-5 different courses I'm taking on it at any given time.. Without a way to sort these hierarchically.. Well.
Anyway, why does the world only consist of "average joes" and "the power users"? Seriously. A device with annotation support is meant for a slightly different audience than a device without it. People who don't annotate can get by without a pen just fine, so why would they want to buy a "penabled" wacom device? What's the added value there?
And similarly, people who annotate and write on stuff a lot probably have 1. more files, and 2. a desire for more sorting options.
I am entirely unable to connect a bunch of platitudes about "what joe sixpack wants" together in such a way that this makes sense to me.
Quote:
where a specific design may make sense for a high end user or the business market, but a simpler one would be a better idea for general consumers.
A simpler device=a device without wacom tablet functionality. A more complex device used to be the iLiad, but that's no longer supported, or the DR1000, but the battery life there still seems to be something of a joke unless you are using it in an office, with a power cord. All Irex keeps doing is alienating their potential customers, who are willing to shell out that €150 more for extra functionality. Why tell them that they're really just "average joes" who want no folder hierarchies?

Last edited by zerospinboson; 01-22-2010 at 04:28 PM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #175
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
wouldn't it have been easier just to implement the folder structure, set it inactive by default for the "average Joe" and put it as an option in "Settings" so more advanced users could use it? that's how compromise between geeks and "average Joe's" is best made.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #176
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
wouldn't it have been easier just to implement the folder structure, set it inactive by default for the "average Joe" and put it as an option in "Settings" so more advanced users could use it? that's how compromise between geeks and "average Joe's" is best made.
Every setting you add multiplies your QA matrix by the number of options this setting has.

So, "easier" is NO... you have just multiplied the testing effort by 2.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #177
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
After looking a bit at this thing, I'd sure love to put it through it's paces myself... (it was one I considered along with the 900, but dismissed it as vaporware)

But at the prices they want for the EU version, I'll just have to wait until the US model comes out to look at it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #178
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
After looking a bit at this thing, I'd sure love to put it through it's paces myself... (it was one I considered along with the 900, but dismissed it as vaporware)

But at the prices they want for the EU version, I'll just have to wait until the US model comes out to look at it.
Price definitely is an issue. I start to like iRex 800. The display quality really is convincing. And it's fast.
But being 25% to 40% (depending on VAT and similar issues) more expensive than Sony 900 is hard to explain. Well, probably it's easy to explain: Sony has 734 diverse revenue streams and certainly makes significant profits apart from their hardware with licenses and content. But still, from a customer point of view...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #179
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
My understanding is that the 3G-enabled version will land in the US for 400 USD, which puts it at the same price as the Sony. 600 USD + 70 USD shipping for the non-3G version does make it rather unappetizing, yes.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #180
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
My understanding is that the 3G-enabled version will land in the US for 400 USD, which puts it at the same price as the Sony. 600 USD + 70 USD shipping for the non-3G version does make it rather unappetizing, yes.
Let's see, whether they really can make the $ 400. Would be kind of frustrating for Europeans. € 500 w/o 3G vs. $ 400 w 3G = about 40% price difference. From a European company! But price aside: Good choice!

Tags
irex 800