Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
I'm Really A SuperStar: one of the best alternate Earth novel ever

I have read it and it's a very fun and addictive read.
This novel is very popular in China and has earned the author millions of USD in royalties.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/i...y-a-superstar/

Improved Synopsis:

Zhang Ye was originally a mundane college graduate, cursed with below average looks and height but with aspiring dreams of becoming famous. However one day, he woke up and suddenly found himself in a parallel world!

In this new world, most things were similar to his previous world but there existed subtle differences, be it: brands, celebrities or even famous works!

Armed with the knowledge of his previous world and a heaven-defying Game Ring that gives him magical items, stats and skills, Zhang Ye embarks on a journey to pursue his life-long dream of becoming a celebrity.

Follow Zhang Ye as he takes the new world by storm, one plagiarized piece at a time, to hilarious reactions!

Rating on July 1st

Rating(4.7 / 5.0, 430 votes)
5 86% (368 votes)
4 6% (27 votes)
3 2% (10 votes)
2 2% (7 votes)
1 4% (18 votes)

With 86 reviews

Rating back on June 5

Rating(4.6 / 5.0, 287 votes)
5 84% (242 votes)
4 6% (18 votes)
3 2% (6 votes)
2 2% (5 votes)
1 6% (16 votes)

From one of the reviewer

The general premise is that of a modern day human, Zhang Ye who ends up appearing in another modern day Earth, but now he has a game ring. It is powered by 'Reputation'. He gains Reputation if people approve of something he did. He can use the popularity points to have a chance at a jackpot which can grant him various benefits such as

His goal is to become the number one celebrity in the world. Now, notice I mentioned that he came into another modern Earth, but this Earth has something different with its entertainment history or even history. It can be backwater in certain ways compared to his own Earth, so he can plagiarize...I mean share the knowledge from his own world to this world and become popular as a result.

other reviewers:

This novel is hilarious! I couldn't stop myself from grinning while reading. Can't wait to read the rest of it.

As I finish the hijack-arc, I can only say one thing...
This is "COMEDY".
I laugh so hard!

From the moment i read the description, i knew that reading "im really a superstar" would be poison for my soul... but i never knew that it would be this bad.
It's so bad that I spent hours binge reading it until morning the next day.
Now you all know how bad it is, so go ahead and drink this poison!
On a more serious note, it might seem like a "the fudge" novel the first time you take a glance at it. I mean, what would you expect from a story that essentially has a character that plagiarizes every literary and popular thing from our world, right? EVERYTHING, Zhang ye is wayyy more than i thought he would be. For one thing, in my opinion he has a very well fleshed out character. The way he feels anger and frustration with the injustice he faces in the media industry is my favourite part about him.

Last edited by Xianxia; 07-01-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps it might be worth mentioning that:

A) It's written in Chinese.
B) It appears to be incomplete.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it might be worth mentioning that:

A) It's written in Chinese.
B) It appears to be incomplete.

Yes, it's written in Chinese, but is actively being translated into English by a group of dedicated fans.

And, yes, it's incomplete and may never be finished, as these types of books seems to go on for thousands and thousands of pages - something their fans seem to appreciate.

I should point out that this is something I do NOT wish to read, although there are some readers here at Mobileread who find this method of presentation attractive.

In the meantime, give me ALL of Barry Hughart and Ernest Bramah!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-05-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I certainly have no wish to read an unfinished book. The whole point of a novel is to reach a good conclusion. Without that you've got the literary equivalent of:

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never did understand why so many fantasy fans seem so averse to endings.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #6
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A lot more readers / votes since 2 weeks ago

June 5

Rating(4.6 / 5.0, 287 votes)
5 84% (242 votes)
4 6% (18 votes)
3 2% (6 votes)
2 2% (5 votes)
1 6% (16 votes)

June 18

Rating(4.7 / 5.0, 383 votes)
5 85% (325 votes)
4 7% (25 votes)
3 2% (8 votes)
2 2% (7 votes)
1 5% (18 votes)

The first arc (chapter 1 to chapter 85) is about him being a radio host and use his knowledge of this "Earth" to do well in the other "Earth."

Poems
Fairy Tales
Children books
Popular novels
Even social media "meme" to gain reputation.

90 chapters have been translated in less than 3 weeks. The current translation rate is 2 chapters a day.

1 year = about 700 chapters if the current 14 chapters a week is met.

I'm guessing that the later arc will be him using this Earth's songs, movies, tv shows, musicals to make himself famous in the other Earth.

Last edited by Xianxia; 06-19-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Xianxia
Zealot

the synopsis was updated and much better than the one before:

Improved Synopsis:

Zhang Ye was originally a mundane college graduate, cursed with below average looks and height but with aspiring dreams of becoming famous. However one day, he woke up and suddenly found himself in a parallel world!

In this new world, most things were similar to his previous world but there existed subtle differences, be it: brands, celebrities or even famous works!

Armed with the knowledge of his previous world and a heaven-defying Game Ring that gives him magical items, stats and skills, Zhang Ye embarks on a journey to pursue his life-long dream of becoming a celebrity.

Follow Zhang Ye as he takes the new world by storm, one plagiarized piece at a time, to hilarious reactions!

Rating(4.7 / 5.0, 430 votes)
5 86% (368 votes)
4 6% (27 votes)
3 2% (10 votes)
2 2% (7 votes)
1 4% (18 votes)

With 86 reviews
Old 07-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To me, this seems like a rather big mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #9
Xianxia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To me, this seems like a rather big mess.
Have you even read it?

I have and I can say it is one of the most enjoyable novels that I have ever read.

GravityTales is gaining a lot of new readers than to this novel
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/gravitytales.com

Monthly Unique Visitors

But Wuxiaworld is still king when it comes to translated Chinese novels with

Monthly Unique Visitors
Old 07-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The site in the first post is a mess. I don't care how many people visit. It's still a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianxia View Post
I have and I can say it is one of the most enjoyable novels that I have ever read.
Seems a tad overhyped...

I'd rate it about 3/5 stars so far. And that's for people who are already into reading chinese webnovels in the first place. People who don't want to read about main character who always has cheat code on would probably rate it a lot lower.

It's reasonably fun and it's free to read, but as for the story... the setting is interesting but it even breaks its own rules. The outset was a parallel world in which none of "our world's" literary works, stories, poems, songs, movies, ... existed, so our main character can use (plagiarize) all of those to become famous.

Yet when it's convenient for him they do exist after all - like when he had to know all the poems beforehand to win a competition. And that works out for him even after his "lucky" cheat runs out. Add to that the too obvious plot devices (guy with the same name conveniently appears, entirely predictable hilarity ensues, etc.) and the story quality is just mediocre after all.

Still have high hopes for this though, he got a bullet proof car, and learned martial arts, so it will probably turn into a James Bond novel any time now.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
Xianxia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The site in the first post is a mess. I don't care how many people visit. It's still a mess.
The site in the first post is a review site similar to goodreads. Ignore it.

The novel is here, starting with the prologue.

http://gravitytales.com/im-really-a-...chapter-0000//

Very enjoyable read.

He's now dabbling in the music industry as a songwriter....since the alternate Earth he is living in have different hit songs compare to our Earth.

p.s.

It had 430 votes when I last posted. Now it is up to 580 votes.

Quote:
Rating(4.7 / 5.0, 580 votes)
5 85% (493 votes)
4 7% (39 votes)
3 3% (15 votes)
2 1% (7 votes)
1 4% (26 votes)

Gravitytales.com (according to Alexa.com) has 903,923 Monthly Unique Visitors

Last edited by Xianxia; 07-31-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Xianxia
Zealot

From 580 votes rating to 777 votes rating since I last posted.

Rating(4.6 / 5.0, 777 votes)

5 82% (635 votes)
4 8% (66 votes)
3 4% (28 votes)
2 2% (12 votes)
1 5% (36 votes)