Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I think on this one pwalker8 is right - from my experience . I have over 100gb of music and audiobooks on match for the same fee. Just got billed for 2nd year....
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Erm, Richard, even if you had 500 gb of music there, that wouldn't prove iTunes Match subscription brings you any free storage space. Anyway, this debate is off-topic on MobileRead, so I'll stop right here.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Not really, this forum is for discussing the iPad.

I did not get any extra cloud storage when I joined iMatch.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I used to have all my iTunes stuff on a hard drive, plus a local backup on another hard drive, plus a second backup which I kept offsite. When I joined ITunes Match I released the offsite backup, which the iTunes Match service made unnecessary, and I use that now for other purposes, so although technically no extra space I have now 1.5 t extra! If that makes sense.
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Can you post your source for this claim? As far as I know, that's definitely not true. The $25 per year fee is for the iTunes Match functionality, nothing more. (And there's also that 25,000 songs limit.)

Which doesn't prove other users won't face any problems. They are well-documented.
From my iPhone and iPad. When I go to iCloud Storage & backup - storage, I have 5.0 GB available. The storage is in addition to any music one may have.

Here is the apple support page for iCloud which spells it all out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874

Well, one should be careful about what one reads posted by random people on the internet. There are a lot of Apple fan boys who insist that Apple can do no wrong, while there is also a lot of Apple haters who insist that everything that Apple does is both wrong and doesn't work. I participated in the iTunes Match beta. There were a lot of problems in the beta program, which is to be expected. Since iTunes Match went live, I've only had one problem and that was early on. While I'm sure that there are various isolated issues, since all such services have that, as far as I can tell, they are quite isolated.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you're confusing iCloud with iTunes Match, pwalker8. The support page whose link you posted does not refer to iTunes Match in any way. I'm pretty sure I read the information that the $25 per year fee is only for the iTunes Match functionality, zero storage space, in some authoritative source, not a random forum rant.

As to iTunes Match needlessly uploading famous songs and albums, I can confirm that from my limited experience, although I don't use iTunes Match all that much. I only use iTunes Match for my favourite songs, of which I have less than 1,000 currently backed up there. I'm troubled by the 25,000 songs limit -- it's difficult to see iTunes Match as a one-stop solution as long as such file limits exist. If you wish, we could analyze the upload bugs down to individual songs and albums, but I really am afraid it would be off-topic for MobileRead.

As to Apple fanboys and haters, I'm neither. There are many things Apple does right, and many things Apple does wrong. I try to call it like it is. I admire Apple especially as a hardware company, while I find the default software they provide with their machines pretty weak in many instances (such as Safari, Mail, iBooks, and we could go down the list).

Last edited by Faterson; 01-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is no extra non-music storage associated with iMatch. I joined a few days ago and have not received extra storage space.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
I think you're confusing iCloud with iTunes Match, pwalker8. The support page whose link you posted does not refer to iTunes Match in any way. I'm pretty sure I read the information that the $25 per year fee is only for the iTunes Match functionality, zero storage space, in some authoritative source, not a random forum rant.
No, the one confusing the two is you. Here is what you said that started this whole debate:
Quote:
You may be subscribing to iTunes Match, but unless you have enough space in your iCloud, the iTunes Match subscription will be of little use to you. I would advise to try and upgrade your iCloud storage directly from within the Settings app on your iPod Touch.
The iTunes Match service does NOT use your iCloud storage. So your "advice" to ProfCrash that an upgrade iCloud storage is necessary to use iTunes Match is wrong.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
So your "advice" to ProfCrash that an upgrade iCloud storage is necessary to use iTunes Match is wrong.
I never gave such advice. I admit I could have expressed myself less ambiguously in that initial post, but in quoting me, you appear to be ignoring part of what I said:

Quote:
You may be subscribing to iTunes Match, but unless you have enough space in your iCloud, the iTunes Match subscription will be of little use to you.
ProfCrash has enough space in his iCloud (he has repeatedly mentioned his free 1 gigabyte), so he is (currently!) having no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The iTunes Match service does NOT use your iCloud storage.
It definitely does, Synamon. Not for the songs it can locate in its own catalogue, but for the others, certainly. I'll be happy if you can post an authoritative link that would say otherwise. Or do you really believe Apple is handing out free gigabytes of storage space for anyone just for $25 per year, apart from the free 5 GB of iCloud storage space that every owner of an Apple device gets automatically?

Tell me, where else would Apple store a song that it doesn't have in its catalogue, other than in your iCloud account? Here's a good experiment... Try to record a guitar album of your own, then share it with iTunes Match as MP3 songs. iTunes Match will upload them to Apple's server, because it will have no other choice. Now, do you think Apple will simply donate the server space to you that is necessary to store your album(s)? Hell, no.

As to you guys having no upload issues with iTunes Match, you can only be congratulated. Many folks do have those issues (that is, famous songs and albums needlessly getting uploaded), so here's hoping you'll never encounter those issues.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is no extra non-music storage associated with iMatch.
Neither is there any extra music storage associated with iTunes Match, as far as I'm aware. I'll be happy to revise my opinion and eat crow publicly, but simply asserting or denying something without any supporting evidence isn't very convincing. I admit I'm doing the same thing here due to lack of time, so readers of this thread are free to consider the two contrasting opinions and judge (or research further) for themselves.