Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
icedevilz
icedevilz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Kobo WiFi Random Wake

I thought I would check here if anyone else is experiencing this with the new Kobo WiFi. Is anyone noticing the following with the Kobo WiFi?

Since getting my new Kobo a few days ago, I have caught it waking unprompted from Sleep Mode on three seperate occaisons. (I happened to actually see it do this once. The other two times I had slept it (confirmed by the 'Sleep Mode Display'), left it alone for approximately 30-45 minutes and then returned to find it back on the text). [I'm not sure if the new Kobos are meant to follow a similar sleep to poweroff logic as the old ones running 1.4. If they are, then my new Kobo certainly does not transition consistently from Sleep to Poweroff.]

I am assuming the new firmware (1.7) follows a different sleep/wake/power logic from 1.4, but presumably this should not be it.
icedevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
It's just checking up on you
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
This is looks like the same issue explained here
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevilz View Post
I am assuming the new firmware (1.7) follows a different sleep/wake/power logic from 1.4, but presumably this should not be it.
The Kobo Wireless Reader does things differently than the Kobo Reader when it comes to power.

Specifically:

- The Kobo Wireless Reader never turns itself off automatically. It just goes to sleep after 15 minutes. If you want to turn it off, hold the power button down for 3 seconds or more.

- The Kobo Wireless Reader has support for Newspapers and wakes up periodically to check if there are any newspapers waiting for you for download. The current firmware checks more often than it should, and we're fixing that in an update early next week - hopefully Monday.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
The Kobo Wireless Reader does things differently than the Kobo Reader when it comes to power.

- The Kobo Wireless Reader has support for Newspapers and wakes up periodically to check if there are any newspapers waiting for you for download. The current firmware checks more often than it should, and we're fixing that in an update early next week - hopefully Monday.
What time of day are the newspapers released? I have been trying to figure out when the Globe and Mail should arrive. It seems to do it but I don't know when (I guess I could check the database)...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
- The Kobo Wireless Reader has support for Newspapers and wakes up periodically to check if there are any newspapers waiting for you for download..
Can this be disabled ? I do not plan on subscribing any newspaper so there is no point in checking for them.
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Can this be disabled ? I do not plan on subscribing any newspaper so there is no point in checking for them.
Yes, it's under Menu > Settings > General.

Set the 'Download Daily' flag to 'No' et Voila.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:

Specifically:

- The Kobo Wireless Reader never turns itself off automatically. It just goes to sleep after 15 minutes. If you want to turn it off, hold the power button down for 3 seconds or more.

Hate to disagree with you, but the Kobo, either intentional or not, will shut off on its own, however I'm not sure how long it takes. The most recent time it shut off was overnight last night for me. I finished reading and just put it on my night table, not even putting it to sleep. When I went to leave for work this morning, it was in power down mode. I've come accross the same situation at work when taking it out of my desk this week.

The other issue that I found in this is that my settings are getting reset some how. I too had noticed that my device had turned itself on from sleep mode today (saw it out of the corner of my eye), and after checking here, I went and looked at my settings and found, that while the date itself was right, the time was off by +4hrs, was showing GMT time zone instead of Eastern (-5hrs), that the power off option was changed to show book cover (I had noticed this this morning when I saw that it was powered off), and that the check for newspapers and magazines was turned back on (I had shut it off because newspapers and magazines were not available in my region). So, this needs to get fixed too and I'll open a support ticket for it.

At least this turning on to check for newspaper updates should explain why my battery only lasted 3 days of light reading..

Last edited by Psyke; 10-22-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Hate to disagree with you, but the Kobo, either intentional or not, will shut off on its own, however I'm not sure how long it takes. The most recent time it shut off was overnight last night for me. I finished reading and just put it on my night table, not even putting it to sleep. When I went to leave for work this morning, it was in power down mode. I've come accross the same situation at work when taking it out of my desk this week.
That's very odd - I haven't seen that and it shouldn't be possible. Can you give me the version number on your settings screen?
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's very odd - I haven't seen that and it shouldn't be possible. Can you give me the version number on your settings screen?
I have v.1.7 (R19517, Oct 7 2010). I actually had a similar problem with the previous gen kobo I had returned, although that one just reset the time only.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Panda988
Panda988 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
I just checked mine, and the time, time zone and daylight savings setting had all been changed or reset as well. Strange....
Panda988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
I can confirm the reset. I'm not sure what causes it. I set them back and will let you know when they reset.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Okay -- when my Kobo's asleep, I see now that it totally wakes itself up every hour or so, and then after a couple of minutes, goes back to sleep again.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I'm on my second wifi Kobo and the first one would randomly shut down and I would lose my bookmarks. I've only had the second one for a few hours, so we'll see how it goes...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Okay -- when my Kobo's asleep, I see now that it totally wakes itself up every hour or so, and then after a couple of minutes, goes back to sleep again.

If you have the wifi version, this has been established as being the newspaper and magazine updater checking for new copies. Took me by suprise as well when I noticed it last week, particularly since I had turned my option off, but it had reset itself. Since I've turned it off again, all seems to be good and no more random turning on/off. There is supposed to be a patch soon, maybe as early as today, that will reduce the number of times it wakes itself to check for the updates.

cheers!
Steph S.