Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Introducing the Bebook Neo

I managed to meet with Peter Zieleman of Endless Ideas, and he told me about the new Bebook ebook reader. They really could have somehting here.

The Neo is a rebranded Onyx Boox with a new firmware. They've fixed the existing bugs (wifi, for example), and will be ready to release it in the next few weeks. The projected retail for the Neo is 299 to 329 euros.

Their new firmware added a couple neat features. First, you can now use the OTA ebookstore downloads provided by RM 9.1. And second, they're adding an Ebookmall to the menu. They're working with every interested ebook store to enable that store to sell you ebooks on the Neo. And, the Ebookmall menu is organized geographically. You can select your country and you'll see a list of stores that can sell you ebooks.

The Neo still has Wifi, and there is a reason for that. They don't think 3G connectivity will work in Europe. Do you remember the 3G equipped Bebook2? They had a bad experience with trying to sign contracts with European cellular providers. It turned out that it wasn't practical, and the Bebook2 was dropped.

The attached picture is of the Ebookmall. So far that's the only part of the GUI that's been changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0322.JPG
Views:	1387
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	42830  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Thanks Nate. That has answered a huge number of questions. So this IS the BeBook 2 then only it's the BeBook Neo. It explains all the delays.
Did you see the Liquavista/BeBook protoype.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Hmm, that means a Wacom touchscreen layer. Does that mean that you cant do touch screen with your finger?
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
Hmm, that means a Wacom touchscreen layer. Does that mean that you cant do touch screen with your finger?
That's right. Although as the iLiad users can vouch: there are plenty of people who don't mind that limitation.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
That's right. Although as the iLiad users can vouch: there are plenty of people who don't mind that limitation.
Yep, I'm sure there are lots of people who don't mind but I'm afraid its a no go for me while I'm reading. I like turning pages with my finger on the touchscreens like the PRS 600, but I had been waiting to see reviews of the BeBook 2 and the PocketBook 302, before making a decision. Now I'm down to the PRS 600 / 900 and the PocketBook 302.
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yup, it's always a trade off. The current sort of decision available to the manufacturers for touch seems to be:

Screen Clarity, Finger access, Stylus access... pick any two, the third will suffer.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Are you sure you want to turn the page by swiping? I would find that most irritating. I can hold my BeBook '1' or Mini in one hand and simply rock my thumb to turn pages. To lift a hand to swipe would mean using both hands to hold the reader. A big turn off for me. This goes back to my comment on the BeBook forum about being able look at a range of models in one place I guess.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Hogan
Zealot

I know what you are saying about finger swiping ... its definitely not for everyone. I'm sure lots of PRS 600 users just use the physical buttons for page turns. Its also having to use the stylus for the menu system that would put me off. I know you can probably do most of menu stuff by using the buttons but I'm a touchscreen geek.

I'm sure the BeBook guys will produce great firmware and it will be a great product for people who dont mind using the stylus. I'll come back to BeBook when they get that colour reader out
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Too bad the photo is not all that wonderful. Nothing really shows that it does black well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I wonder why just about every new e-reader startup is trying to mimic the Kindle's appearance, which is pretty ugly in my opinion. It's the service and Amazon promotion that sells the device, not its hardware design. Sony looks much better from an aesthetic standpoint.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
does this look strangely like the new Bookeen one? This is netronics right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Looks like it to me as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
No, it's a rebranded Onyx Boox. But the case looks indeed a little bit like netronix's E60400/E60430 devices.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
No, it's a rebranded Onyx Boox. But the case looks indeed a little bit like netronix's E60400/E60430 devices.
Can the Onyx Boox firmware be flashed onto it in case it can be had cheaper?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can the Onyx Boox firmware be flashed onto it in case it can be had cheaper?
Sorry, i don't know that (yet).
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces10