Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
new iLiad, developer access and installing third-party software

I've just gotten a book ed. with v. 2.12 firmware and I want to install a SSH client, so I have to install shell access.

I got so far as to download the shell access file and it seemed to install and restarted my iLiad.

But what now? I need to access the SSH client. I'm on an iMac, but have Windows running on VMWare (and even an old laptop if all else fails). Can I access it via the terminal? (beware, I will need to know which commands to use - I'm not scared of the terminal, but most of my experience with command-line computer access hails back to DOS :P )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Search the forums for dropbear and the unbrickable package. There are a few tutorials already out there.

If you don't know much about the terminal, why do you need SSH access?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Search the forums for dropbear and the unbrickable package. There are a few tutorials already out there.
Thanks! It helps to know what to look for. I've already spent hours looking here and at the Irex forums, and nothing really seemed to fit my situation, and I felt compltely stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
If you don't know much about the terminal, why do you need SSH access?
Because I want to install other fonts, and I might need it later (scatch that, I will need later ) Plus I want to learn more, and the best way to do that it to work with it. With examples and suggestions, I can begin to figure out how things work.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
SSH is probably the best way to access the iLiad if you expect to do a lot of customization or coding. Otherwise, mrxvt may be enough for occasional use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote